AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 21,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which entity has received administrative and financial powers from the Ministry of Defence to overcome delays in the construction of strategic roads along the India-China boundary On August 20 2017?
i.Indian Federation of Road Safety
ii.Border Roads Organisation
iii.National Highways Authority of India
iv.Ministry of Road Transport and HighwaysAnswer- Answer – ii.Border Roads Organisation
According to the references between the Chief Engineer and HQ DGBR and also between HQ DGBR and the Ministry, the defence ministry has assigned more administrative and financial powers to the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) for increase the speed to complete the projects. the BRO is functioning under the control of the Ministry of Defence in road construction to provide connectivity to difficult and remote regions in the border areas of the country. In order to achieve the desired outcomes according to the requirement of the Armed Forces, the Ministry of Defence has revised and made some transformational changes in the powers of BRO.
- What is the full form of ADGBR?
i. Advanced Director General Border Roads.
ii. Active Department of General Border Roads.
iii. Additional Director General Border Roads
iv. Advanced Department of General Border Roads
v. Additional Department of General Border Roads
Answer-iii. Additional Director General Border Roads
The Additional Director General Border Roads (ADGBR) had enhanced the powers from Rs. 20 crore to Rs. 75 crore for departmental works from ministry of defence in the construction of strategic roads along the India-China boundary.
- Arun Jaitely is the current Minister of ____________,______________, and _____________ in the BJP Government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi ministry.
i.Finance Minister , Minister of Information & Broadcasting ,and Minister of Defence
ii. Finance Minister, Minister of Urban Development,and Minister of Corporate Affairs
iii. Finance Minister, Minister of Urban Development, and Minister of Information & Broadcasting
iv. Finance Minister, Minister of Defence, and Minister of Corporate Affairs
v. Finance Minister, Minister of Corporate Affairs, and Minister of Information & Broadcasting.
Answer-iv. Finance Minister, Minister of Defence, and Minister of Corporate Affairs
Explanation:- Arun Jaitley is an Indian politician and lawyer who is the current Finance Minister, Minister of Defence and Minister of Corporate Affairs in the BJP Government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi ministry.
- What is the theme of 8th World Renewable Energy Technology Congress & Expo-2017 which happened from 21st to 23rd August, 2017 at the Expo & Convention Centre, Manekshaw Centre, Delhi Cantt, Delhi, India?
i. “Making of Renewable Energy ”
ii. “Renewable Energy: What works”
iii.”Steps to enhance the resource of Renewable Energy”
iv.”Where to find Renewable Energy”
Answer- ii. “Renewable Energy: What works”
The Energy And Environment Foundation would be organizing 8th World Renewable Energy Technology Congress & Expo-2017 from 21st to 23rd August, 2017 at the Expo & Convention Centre, Manekshaw Centre, Delhi Cantt, Delhi, India.The theme of the conference is “Renewable Energy: What Works”
- In which center the tournament of Western & Southern Open was held every year in Mason, a northern suburb of Ohio near Cincinnati, in the United States?
i.A.C. Nielsen Tennis Center
ii.USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
iii.Palmetto Tennis Center
iv.Lindner Family Tennis Center
v.Los Angeles Tennis Center
Answer- iv.Lindner Family Tennis Center
The Cincinnati Masters currently called the Western & Southern Open is an annual outdoor hard court tennis event. The tournament was held annually at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, a northern suburb of Ohio near Cincinnati, in the United States. The tournament is the second largest summer tennis event in the U.S. after the U.S. Open, as its men’s portion is one of nine elite Masters 1000 tournaments on the ATP World Tour and its women’s event is one of five Premier 5 events on the WTA Tour.
- Who win the Cincinnati Masters or the Western & Southern Open 2017 Men’s singles Masters 1000 title?
i. Novak Djokovic
iii. Pierre-Hugues Herbert
v. Nick Kyrgios
Answer- ii. Grigor Dimitrov
Grigor Dimitrov clinched the biggest title of his career beating Nick Kyrgios 6-3 7-5 to win the Cincinnati Open on August 20 ,2017.He took the title after beating Australia’s Nick Kyrgios in straight sets in the Cincinnati Open final. At the age of 22, Kyrgios was the youngest Cincinnati finalist since Novak Djokovic back in 2009.
- Who is the title winner of Cincinnati Masters or the Western & Southern Open 2017 in women singles?
iii. Garbine Muguruza
iv. Chan Yung-jan
v. Martina Hingis
Answer- iii. Garbine Muguruza
Garbine Muguruza beat Simona Halep 6-1, 6-0 and won her first Western & Southern Open title on August 20,2017. Garbiñe Muguruza Blanco born 8 October 1993, is a Spaniard-Venezuelan professional tennis player. She has won five singles titles, including two majors at the 2016 French Open and the 2017 Wimbledon Championships.
- Name of the ship which has inducted into the Indian Navy at Port Blair by Dr. Jagdish Mukhi , Lieutenant Governor, Andaman and Nicobar Islands on August 21, 2017.
i. IN LCU L62
ii.IN LDU L52
iii. IN LDU L62
iv. IN LCU L52
v. IN LDU L82
Answer-iv. IN LCU L52
On August 21, 2017 Dr. Jagdish Mukhi, Lieutenant Governor, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, commissioned IN LCU L52 into the Indian Navy at Port Blair. IN LCU L52 is the second Landing Craft Utility (LCU) Mk-IV class .This ship has been designed and built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers, Kolkata. LCU MK-IV ship is used to transport and deploy Main Battle Tanks, Armoured Vehicles, troops and equipment from ship to shore.The remaining of six ships with the same class at M/S GRSE, Kolkata are expected to be inducted in the next two years. The induction of these ships will contribute to the nation’s maritime security needs and is in consonance with ‘Make in India’.
- Find the name of the country where have developed the world’s smallest surgical robot named Versius with low-cost technology.
UK Scientists have developed the world’s smallest surgical robot with low-cost technology. It is used in mobile phones and space industries. The robot named Versius, mimics the human arm. It can be used to carry out a wide range of procedures in which a series of small incisions are made to circumvent the need for traditional open surgery.One of the key benefits of the robot is that it works like a human arm and contains technology that detects resistance to make sure the right amount of force is used when the instruments are inside the patient.
- Name of the county who played first time and won the rebranded FIBA Asia Cup, became the first Oceanic team to be crowned champions of Asia on August 20 2017.
iii. South Korea
Answer- iv. Australia
Australia playing for the first time at the rebranded FIBA Asia Cup, became the first Oceanic team to be crowned champions of Asia.Australia has beaten Iran in final held on 20th August 2017.The Australian Boomers have won the FIBA Asia Cup in their first attempt with a commendable victory over Iran in the gold medal game.
- The celebrity Jerry Lewis has died in US was ____________
ii.a cricket player
iv.a tennis player
Answer- iii.an actor
Multi-talented US actor and comedian Jerry Lewis has died. He was 91.Lewis was known for his slapstick humour and a lucrative decade-long partnership with Dean Martin.He starred in more than 45 films in a career spanning five decades.He was hailed as ‘le Roi du Crazy’ (the king of crazy) and inducted into the Legion of Honor, France’s highest award, in 1984. He received a similar honour in 2006.
- In which television quiz competition an Indian-origin boy, 12-year-old Rahul Doshi was crowned on 20 August 2017?
i. Masterminds, Texas
ii. UK’s ‘Child Genius’
iii. Virginia’s Battle of the Brains
iv . MAX STAR Quiz Challenge, UAE
v. National Super Quiz Bee, Philippines
Answer- ii. UK’s ‘Child Genius’
An Indian-origin boy, 12-year-old Rahul Doshi was crowned as the UK’s ‘Child Genius’ in a popular television quiz competition on 20 August 2017.Rahul Doshi won the Channel 4 show ‘Child Genius’ by defeating his opponent Ronan a 9 year old boy by 10-4 points in the programme’s finale.
- Which technology has announced by Microsoft to use High Performance Computing (HPC) and other Big Computing capabilities in the cloud?
iii. Fog computing
v. Cloud sandbox
Answer- iv.Cycle computing
Microsoft has announced the acquisition of Cycle Computing on 21st of August 2017. It will help it easier for Azure customers to use High Performance Computing (HPC) and other Big Computing capabilities in the cloud and help them accelerate their movement to the cloud.
Cycle Computing makes optimizing Hybrid HPC workloads easier and the process of bursting or migrating HPC clusters to the cloud more productive.It offers tools that help companies orchestrate and manage large scale compute jobs across hybrid environments.
- How many wilful defaulters owed Rs 25,104 crore to State Bank of India as on 31 March 2017?
Country’s largest lender SBI accounts for over 27% of the total amount owed to public sector banks by wilful defaulters announced on 20th August 2017.Total 1,762 wilful defaulters owed Rs 25,104 crore to State Bank of India as on 31 March.Punjab National Bank (PNB) is next on the list with 1,120 wilful defaulters having outstanding non-performing assets (NPAs) or bad loans of Rs12,278 crore. RBI has allowed banks to name and shame wilful defaulters by publishing their photographs.
- Find the name of private sector in India which had filed the petition seeking anti-dumping probe on ‘textured toughened tempered glass’ imports from China.
i.Pantagone Technologies India Pvt Ltd.,
ii.Gujarat Borosil Ltd
Answer-ii.Gujarat Borosil Ltd
The Finance Ministry has imposed an anti-dumping duty on certain “textured toughened tempered glass” which imports from China. Gujarat Borosil Ltd, the sole producer of tempered glass in the country, had filed the petition seeking anti-dumping probe on ‘textured toughened tempered glass’ imports from China.
- Name the ship which was discovered in wreckage of World War II warship nearly after 72 years by team of civilian researchers led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and it is 18000 feet (5.5 km) below the surface in the Pacific Ocean.
iv.USS Gabrielle Giffords
iv.USS Gabrielle Giffords
A team of civilian researchers led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has discovered the wreckage of World War II warship USS Indianapolis nearly after 72 years. It is 18000 feet (5.5 km) below the surface in the Pacific Ocean. It has been announced on 18th of August 2017.
- How many percent of reservation offered for girls at 100 Navodaya-type schools and five higher education institutes under the information from Union minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi?
i.30 per cent
ii.25 per cent
iii.45 per cent
iv.40 per cent
v.50 per cent
Union minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has informed that the government has decided to offer 40 per cent reservation for girls at 100 Navodaya-type schools and five higher education institutes. A panel formed by The Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF), a government-funded agency, had recommended a three-tier model to tackle educational backwardness among minorities, particularly the Muslims.
- Which State government is introducing Scheme for Compassionate Family Pension (CFP) instead of job offers to family members due to some practical difficulties?
On August 20,2017 Assam state government is introducing a new Scheme called, Scheme for Compassionate Family Pension (CFP) at GAUHATI.The scheme plans to offer the compassionate family pension instead of job offers to family members due to some practical difficulties.A new scheme called ‘Scheme for Compassionate Family Pension in lieu of Compassionate Appointment’, which will be known as ‘Compassionate Family Pension Scheme’ or CFP Scheme.The scheme will be applicable to those employees who died in harness on or after April 1, 2017, but the relevant office message related to the compassionate appointments will be applicable to those who died on or before March 31, 2017.
- The Ulchi-Freedom Guardian is a military drill which sees the US and South Korea join forces in a string of exercises and they are named after a famous Korean general________.
ii. Seung Ulchi
iii. Byung Ulchi
iv. Hoon Ulchi
v. Kwang Ulchi
The Ulchi-Freedom Guardian is a military drill which sees the US and South Korea join forces in a string of exercises The annual drill involves huge land, air and sea exercises, with tens of thousands of troops involved from both countries.The exercises, designed to improve South Korea’s defence, are carried out to recognise the treaty between the Republic of Korea and the United States signed in 1953.They are named after a famous Korean general, Munduk Ulchi, who lived in the early seventh century and was a successful army leader.
- Where was the ‘Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat’ programme launched by Union Minister for Human Resource Development Shri. Prakash Javadekar?
On August 21,2017 ‘Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat’ Programme, was launched in Kochi.A program is an initiative of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan to prepare a physical Health and Fitness Profile Card for more than 12 lakhs of Kendriya Vidyalaya students. Union Minister for Human Resource Development Shri. Prakash Javadekar unveil the Profile Card in a function held at Kendriya Vidyalaya at KV NAD, Aluva (Kochi).Swasth Bachche, Swasth Bharat programme will provide a comprehensive and inclusive report card for children covering all age groups and children of different abilities.
- Which Country is plannig to build Arabian cap-shaped stadium for 2022 FIFA World Cup?
Qatar will build a stadium shaped like an Arabian cap for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. This symbolic design embodies everything that unites us as Arabs and Muslims, and is a fitting tribute to the first FIFA World Cup in the Middle East. Qatar is building at least eight air-conditioned stadiums for the tournament.