AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs August 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs July 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Name the bill, which received Presidents assent to empower the Centre to make rules to decide the tenure, salary, allowances and other terms of service of central and state Information Commissioners.
1) Right to Approve(Amendment) Act, 2019
2) Right to Decide(Amendment) Act, 2019
3) Right to Information (Amendment) Act, 2019
4) Right to Act (Amendment) Act, 2019
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Right to Information (Amendment) Act, 2019
On August 1, 2019, President of India Ram Nath Kovind gave his assent to Right to Information (Amendment) Act, 2019. It will amend the Right to Information Act (RTI), 2005. The Right to Information (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha by the Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Mr. Jitendra Singh, on July 19, 2019. Changes: Amendments are made in Section 13, Section 16 and Section 27 of the Right to Information Act, 2005. Term of Information Commissioners: Under the Act, Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and Information Commissioners (ICs) are appointed at the national and state level to implement the provisions of the Act. They will hold office for a term of 5 years. The Bill removes this provision and states that the central government will notify the term of office for the CIC and the ICs.
- Which bill has recently passed in parliament that provides special procedures to deal with terrorist activities, and empowered the government ?
1) Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill, 2019
2) Legal Representatives(Amendment)Suits Bill, 2019
3) Indian Police (Amendment) Bill, 2019
4) Indian Security (Amendment) Bill, 2019
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill, 2019
On August 2, 2019, Parliament passed the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill, 2019 with 147 members voting in favour of the bill and 42 against it. The Bill amends the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967. It provides for special procedures to deal with terrorist activities, and empowered the government to designate individuals as terrorists on the grounds of terrorism. Under the Act, the central government may designate an organisation as a terrorist organisation if it commits or participates in acts of terrorism, prepares for terrorism, promotes terrorism, or is otherwise involved in terrorism.
- Who released a report titled “Grain by Grain” for the year 2019 in New Delhi on the Indian fertilizer industry conducted by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE)?
1) Santosh Kumar Gangwar
2) Prakash Javadekar
3) Pralhad Joshi
4) Arvind Sawant
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Prakash Javadekar
On July 29, 2019, Minister for Environment and Forests Prakash Javadekar released a report titled “Grain by Grain” for the year 2019 in New Delhi. It is a Green Rating Project (GRP) on the Indian fertilizer industry conducted by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE). GRP is a unique programme that rates Indian industry for its environmental performance. It is regarded as India’s only independent, rigorous and credible programme of its kind.
- Expand PRAGATI?
1) Pro-Active Growth and Target Inflation
2) Pro-Active Growth and Transaction Interest
3) Pro-Active General and Trade Implementation
4) Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation
The full form of PRAGATI is Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation.
- Who chaired the 30th interaction of Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation (PRAGATI) platform, which is his first interaction ?
1) Harsimrat Kaur Badal
2) Amit Shah
3) Narendra Modi
4) Nirmala Sitharaman
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Narendra Modi
The 30th Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation (PRAGATI) platform was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. On his 30th interaction, many issues were reviewed. This was the first meeting of PRAGATI chaired by the Prime Minister in his second term in office.
- How many years of jail term will be rewarded for practicing instant ‘triple talaq’ among Muslims as per, Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019?
1) 3 years
2) 5 years
3) 7 years
4) Life time
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 3 years
On August 1, 2019, President of India, Ram Nath Kovind gave his assent to the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019. With this, the Bill became an Act. It criminalizes instant ‘triple talaq’ among Muslims and attracts a jail term of 3 years for the husband.
- Who will head the 4-member panel of ministers, which was created in 2018 to propose action against mob lynching ?
1) Narendra Singh Tomar
2) Amit Shah
3) Thaawar Chand Gehlot
4) Rajnath Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Amit Shah
Union home minister & BJP( Bharatiya Janata Party ) President, Amit Shah will now head a 4-member panel of ministers, which was created in 2018 to propose action against mob lynching. The panel was headed by then Home minister Rajnath Singh when it was formed.The Four: The Group of Ministers (GoM) will have the members including S. Jaishankar(External Affairs Minister), Nitin Gadkari(union minister of road transport and highways), Ravi Shankar Prasad(Union Minister of Law and Justice) and Thawar Chand Gehlot(Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment).SC Notice: The Supreme Court(SC) had directed the Central Government, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) and the State governments to respond to the plea seeking implementation of its directions issued in July 2018 to tackle mob violence and lynching.
- Name the pension scheme, under which union government aims to enroll 150 million workers, who will be provided with a monthly pension of Rs.3000 after attaining the age of 60 years.
1) Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana
2) Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan
3) Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
4) Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan yojana
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan yojana
Over the next 3 years under the pension scheme Pradhan Mantri shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM), the Union government aims to enroll 150 million workers to bring them under the social security net.Labour secretary, Hiralal Samariya stated that about 50-60 million workers will be from the construction sector and Agriculture workers and self-employed retailers will also be part of this pension scheme. The scheme was announced in the month of February 2019. It provides monthly pension of Rs.3000 by contributing to this scheme till the age of 60 years. Eligibility: People should work in the unorganised sector with monthly income less than or equal to Rs.15000 and the entry age to enroll in this scheme is 18-40years
- Which State/UT became the top-performing states in court infrastructure facility as per the report titled “Building Better Courts (Surveying the Infrastructure of India’s District Courts)” by independent legal think tank Vidhi Centre ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Delhi
According to a recent survey conducted by Vidhi centre for for Legal Policy in its report titled “Building Better Courts (Surveying the Infrastructure of India’s District Courts)”, Delhi (90%) and Kerala (84%) became the top-performing states in court infrastructure facility whereas Bihar (26%) and Manipur (29%) have the poorest infrastructure in lower judiciary. i. Based on 9 parameters formulated by Vidhi Centre for legal policy, 665 district courts across 29 states and 9 union territories were surveyed on the physical and digital aspects of the court infrastructure The nine parameters are getting there, navigation, waiting areas, hygiene, barrier-free access, case display, security, amenities and website.
- Name the Sikhism founder, whose 550th birth anniversary, was celebrated recently during which Nagar Kirtan(Sikh religious procession) from Pakistan reaches India for the first time since Partition .
1) Guru Nanak Dev
2) Guru Gobind Singh
3) Guru Arjan
4) Guru Tegh Bahadur
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Guru Nanak Dev
To mark the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev , the Sikhism founder, a Nagar Kirtan , a Sikh religious procession was taken out for 1st time after Independence from Nankana Sahib district(birthplace of Guru Nanak Dev) of Pakistan’s Punjab province to Attari village in Amritsar,Punjab Indian side through the Attari-Wagah land route . The procession which comprising around 500 Sikh devotees will halt will at Sultanpur Lodhi in Kapurthala district of Punjab after passing through various cities and towns.The procession carrying the holy Guru Granth Sahib was organized by Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), an apex religious body of the Sikhs with the support from both Indian and Pakistani authorities.
- Which bank recently received permission from Reserve Bank of India(RBI) to provide regular bank services in India and included in the Second Schedule of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 ?
1) Bank of East Asia
2) Bank of China
3) Standard Chartered
4) DBS Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bank of China
On August 1, 2019, India’s central banking institution, RBI(Reserve Bank of India) has allowed Bank of China (BoC) to provide regular bank services in India. BoC will be included in the Second Schedule of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934. Second schedule: All commercial banks including State Bank of India (SBI), HDFC(Housing Development Finance Corporation) Bank, Punjab National Bank (PNB)and ICICI Bank(Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) are in the second schedule. Banks in this schedule have to comply with RBI regulations.Addition: Jan Small Finance Bank Ltd has also been included in the second schedule. Apart from this, the name ‘Royal Bank of Scotland’ has been changed to ‘NatWest Markets Plc’.
- Where was the Money Museum of Reserve Bank of India(RBI) opened in order to improve the people’s knowledge of the banking system ?
1) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
2) Mumbai, Maharashtra
3) New Delhi, Delhi
4) Kolkata, West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Kolkata, West Bengal
India’s central bank, RBI’s (Reserve Bank of India) Money Museum, which was opened on March 11, 2019, aims at improving people’s knowledge of the banking system with the help of interactive displays at Council House Street in Central Kolkata, West Bengal has been drawing a lot of attention for its special initiative. The museum has a big tree made using unusable coins and demonetized notes attached with a computer model outlining how money gets transferred to the account digitally.It also has three divided sections. It includes 1st section(History of Money): This section depicts the evolution of the barrier system and the grains used as currency in medieval ages. 2nd section(History of Gold): It talks about gold and focuses on gold reserves in India. 3rd section(History of RBI): This is all about the history of RBI.
- What is the Gross Domestic Product(GDP) of India for the fiscal year 2020 as per the Credit Rating Information Services of India Limited(CRISIL) ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 6.9%
According to the CRISIL (formerly Credit Rating Information Services of India Limited), a global analytical company providing ratings, research and policy advisory services report titled “CRISIL’s India Outlook 2019: Uphill trek”, India’s GDP (gross domestic product) growth expected to grow by 6.9% in 2019 (FY-Fiscal Year 2020). It cuts the forecast from 7.1 % to 6.9% due to the triangulation of downside risks (weak monsoon, slowing global growth and Sluggish data for the first quarter (January to March) of the year 2019.
- Which company has partnered with Hindustan Copper Ltd (HCL) and Mineral Exploration Company Limited (MECL) to set up the joint venture company Khanij Bidesh India Ltd (KABIL) ?
1) National aluminium Company Ltd (NALCO)
2) Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL)
3) Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited (NLCIL)
4) Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited (RINL)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) National aluminium Company Ltd (NALCO)
As a way of ensuring a consistent supply of critical and strategic minerals to the Indian domestic market, a joint venture company Khanij Bidesh India Ltd (KABIL) is to be set up. KABIL is a venture between National aluminium Company Ltd (NALCO), Hindustan Copper Ltd (HCL) and Mineral Exploration Company Limited (MECL) with equity participation ration is 40:30:30 respectively.The joint venture was signed in the presence of Shri Pralhad Joshi, Hon’ble Minister of Mines,Coal and Parliamentary Affairs, Mines secretary Shri Anil Mukim and other senior officers. KABIL is setup to ensure mineral security to the nation and also help in realising the overall objective of import substitution.
- Name the country which became the largest economy in the world with 20.5 trillion dollar in global GDP rankings as per the World Bank data for 2018 .
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) United States
The World Bank data for 2018 showed that India is the 7th largest economy in the world in global GDP rankings at $2.73 trillion.United States topped in global GDP as per the World Bank data for 2018.
Top 5 Economies of 2018
Rank Country Value ($ Trillion) 1 United States 20.5 2 China 13.6 3 Japan 5.0 4 Germany 4.0 5 United Kingdom 2.8
- Name the Indian writer, who was awarded with Asian version of the Nobel Prize, 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award for “harnessing journalism to give voice to the voiceless” .
1) Arnab Goswami
2) Sudhir Chaudhary
3) Punya Prasun Bajpai
4) Ravish Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Ravish Kumar
India’s senior executive editor of NDTV, Ravish Kumar was awarded 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award which is regarded as the Asian version of the Nobel Prize. He was awarded for “harnessing journalism to give voice to the voiceless”. Four other individuals were declared winners of this award along with Ravish Kumar. Four other winners of the 2019 Raman Magsaysay award are as follows:-
Ko Swe Win Myanmar Angkhana Neelapaijit Thailand Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab Philippines Kim Jong-Ki South Korea
- Who was appointed as the Special Secretary to President Ram Nath Kovind ?
1) Sanjay Agarwal
2) Samant Kumar Goel
3) E.L. S.N Bala Prasad
4) Nripendra Misra
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) E L S N Bala Prasad
On July 31, 2019, According to the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, Government of India(GoI), E L S N Bala Prasad, a 1986 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre has been upgraded to the rank of Special Secretary to President Ram Nath Kovind in the rank under Central Staffing Scheme.He was earlier served as Officer on Special Duty(OSD) to the President.
- Name the Indian theoretical physicist, who was appointed as the new director of Italy based International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) for a five year term .
1) Atish Dabholkar
2) Jayant Narlikar
3) Abhas Mitra
4) Thanu Padmanabhan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Atish Dabholkar
Atish Dabholkar(56), an Indian theoretical physicist from Kolhapur, Maharashtra has been appointed as the new director of Italy based International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) for a five year term starting in November 2019 with the rank of Assistant Director-General of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). He succeeds Fernando Quevedo, who has led the centre since 2009. He is currently the head of ICTP’s high energy, cosmology and astroparticle physics section. He joined ICTP in 2014 on secondment from Sorbonne Université and the National Center for Scientific Research, where he has been a research director since 2007.
- Who has been accredited concurrently as the next permanent representative of India to the economic Community of West African States ( ECOWAS) ?
1) Natarajan Krishnan
2) Abhay Thakur
3) B. N. Chakrvarthy
4) Rikhi Jaipal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Abhay Thakur
Current high Commissioner of India to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Shri Abhay Thakur has been accredited concurrently as the next permanent representative of India to the economic Community of West African States ( ECOWAS). He is 1992 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer. He will be residing in Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria.
- Researchers from which institute, have developed a ‘zero loss’ process called Hydro Thermal Carbonization (HTC) for wet Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)management ?
1) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
2) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
3) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
4) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
A research team from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur have developed a ‘zero loss’ process called Hydro Thermal Carbonization (HTC) for the Indian conditions which can effectively manage mixed Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) with high moisture content where MSW can be converted into biofuel, soil amendment, and absorbents.The research was led by Professor Brajesh Kumar Dubey from the Department of Civil Engineering at IIT Kharagpur.Only 20-30% of organic fraction of municipal solid waste was recycled to biofuel using the existing waste incineration processes.
- Name the super earth located about 31 light-years away, which was discovered by NASA’s Translating Exoplanets Survey Satellite (TESS) .
1) TOI 216 b
2) HD 219666 b
3) GJ 357 d
4) HD 1397 b
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) GJ 357 d
A super-Earth was discovered by an international team of astronomers led by Lisa Kaltenegger and is considered to be the first potentially habitable world outside our own solar system. Super earth The super-Earth is named as GJ 357 d and it was discovered by NASA’s Translating Exoplanets Survey Satellite (TESS) according to new modelling research in “Astrophysical Journal Letters”.This super Earth, GJ 357 d located about 31 light-years away from our solar system is more massive than earth and could contain liquid on its surface.The discovery of the GJ 357 system was announced in the journal “Astronomy & Astrophysics” by Astronomers of Spain in July. Now, the system has GJ 357 b, GJ 357 c and GJ 357 d.
- Which entity has launched the initiative to support weavers, artisans, and makers of handicrafts through its platform?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Flipkart
On July 31, 2019, Anurag Thakur, Minister of State, Finance and Corporate Affairs and Kalyan Krishnamurthy, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Flipkart Group launched ‘Samarth’, an initiative of Flipkart, to support weavers, artisans, and makers of handicrafts to its platform. It will help the community to on-board and sell the goods on the internet.Flipkart has tied up with 5 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) to help the artisans use the online marketplace to sell the products.
- Name the veteran wind energy campaigner and a founder of the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), who passed away recently .
1) Liming Qiao
2) Steve Sawyer
3) Morten Dyrholm
4) Ben Backwell
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Steve Sawyer
On July 31, 2019, Steve Sawyer, famed wind energy campaigner and a founder of the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) has passed away in an Amsterdam (Netherlands) hospital due to lung cancer. He was 63. He spent over ten years between 2007 and 2017 as a general secretary at GWEC.Known for stubborn courage and an ability to inspire others, Sawyer came into the global spotlight after the bombing of the Rainbow Warrior vessel by the French agents in Auckland harbor on July 10, 1985.Greenpeace photographer Fernando Pereira was killed by French secret service which blew two holes in the Rainbow Warrior’s hull, sinking the vessel, when Sawyer was on board celebrating his 29th birthday.
- Karpuri Devi passed away recently, she was associated with which field ?
1) Gouache – opaque watercolor medium
2) Acrylic – opaque watercolor medium
3) Fresco secco paintings
4) Madhubani painting and Sujni
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Madhubani painting and Sujni
On July 30, 2019, Madhubani painting and Sujni artist Karpuri Devi, aged 94, passed away at the Heart Hospital at Mangarauni village in Madhubani district of Bihar where she was undergoing treatment. She hailed from Ranti village of Bihar and belonged to the first generation of Mithila painting artists.The National Award recipient contributed towards setting up of the Mithila Museum which is located in Tokamachi hills in Japan’s Niigata region. ii. She was the recipient of several state awards and national merit certificate given by the Ministry of textiles, Union government.
- What was the theme of the World breastfeeding week 2019 ?
1) Theme – “Sustaining Breastfeeding Together”
2) Theme – “Breastfeeding: Foundation of Life”
3) Theme – “Empower parents, Enable Breastfeeding”
4) Theme – “Breastfeeding and the Sustainable Development Goals”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Empower parents, Enable Breastfeeding”
To encourage breastfeeding and improve the health of babies around the world, the first week of August (aug 1-7), is celebrated as world breastfeeding week (WBW) in more than 120 countries. It commemorates the Innocenti Declaration signed in August 1990 by government policymakers, WHO, UNICEF and other organizations to support breastfeeding. The theme for 2019 is “Empower parents, Enable Breastfeeding”. This event was first celebrated in the year 1992 and is organised every year by World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA), World Health Organisation (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). Awareness programmes like puppet shows, skits, dance and drama, films, slide shows, etc will be organised. This nutrition intervention will help the govt. to achieve Sustainable Development 2030 and National Nutrition Goals.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Ellyse Perry is associated with which sport ?Answer – Cricket
Australia’s Ellyse Perry on Thursday became the world-number one T20I all-rounder in the latest ICC player rankings, after a standout performance in the series against England, which Australia won by 2-1. The 28-year-old is now 12 points ahead of Taylor and is at a career-high of 398 points, at the top of the table for the first time since October 2017.
- Jaldapara National Park is located in which state ?Answer – West Bengal
- Who is the President of Nigeria ?Answer – Muhammad Buhari
- Where is the headquarter of World Bank located ?Answer – Washington, D.C.,United States
- Who is the CEO of Credit Rating Information Services of India Limited(CRISIL) ?Answer – Ashu Suyash