AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs August 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs July 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Who inaugurated the 15,000 square feet underground bunker museum ?
1) Ram Nath Govind
2) Narendra Modi
3) Amit Shah
4) Nirmala Sitharaman
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ram Nath Govind
On August 18,2019 the president of India, Shri Ram Nath Govind inaugurated the 15,000 square feet underground bunker museum.
- Where did President of India, Shri Ram Nath Govind inaugurated the 15,000 square feet underground bunker museum ?
1) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
2) Kolkata, West Bengal
3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
4) New Delhi, Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
On August 18,2019 the president of India, Shri Ram Nath Govind inaugurated the 15,000 square feet underground bunker museum at Maharashtra Raj Bhavan (Governor’s government house) in Mumbai.
- National Green Tribunal(NGT) has formed a committee to look into the issues of illegal sand mining in which river ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Yamuna
The National Green Tribunal(NGT) has formed a committee to look into the issues of illegal sand mining in the Yamuna river and sought a report within a month. This is done following a move by the Delhi Jal Board(DJB) chief executive officer (CEO) Anil Kumar Singh alleging blockade in the main river course and illegal sand mining in the Yamuna river.
- Where will the India’s first Central Institute of Chemical Engineering & Technology (CICET) to be build ?
2) Uttar Pradesh
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Gujarat
As a boost to the chemical industry in the country, Gujarat is to get the country’s first Central Institute of Chemical Engineering & Technology (CICET). The CICET would be built either at Vatva, Ahmedabad or Surat.Apart from CICET, a plastic Waste Management Centre in Ahmedabad is to be set up to find out solutions to systematic segregation and recycling of plastic waste. A skill development centre will also start functioning at Bhavnagar, Gujarat from October 2019.
- Name the new scheme that is set to launch by Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) to fund new scientific and engineering breakthroughs with global impact.
1) Supra(Scientific and Useful Profound Research Advancement)
2) Spra(Scientific Profound Research Advancement)
3) Super(Scientific and Useful Profound Enhancement Research)
4) Super-f(Scientific and Useful Profound Enhancement Research Fund)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Supra(Scientific and Useful Profound Research Advancement)
In a bid to promote research in cutting edge areas of science, the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) plans to launch a new scheme called “Supra” (Scientific and Useful Profound Research Advancement) to fund scientists.The scheme has designed as a part of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s 100-day transformative ideas.Aim: The aim of this scheme is to fund new scientific and engineering breakthroughs with global impact.
- Name the Indian delegation who visited Bhutan recently .
1) Ram Nath Govind
2) Narendra Modi
3) Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
4) Venkaiah Naidu
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Narendra Modi
The Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi made a State Visit to Bhutan on August 17-18, 2019, at the invitation of Prime Minister of Bhutan Dr. Lotay Tshering. He was on his second visit to Bhutan and the first since his re-election as the Prime Minister (PM) of India.
- Where did Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Mangdechhu hydroelectric power plant ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bhutan
PM inaugurated the Mangdechhu hydroelectric power plant, one of the major projects under Bhutan’s initiative to generate 10,000 MW (Megawatt) hydropower by 2020 with the Indian government’s support. It is estimated to generate 2,923 GWh (Gigawatt Hour) of electricity. The project was funded by India through a 70% loan and 30% grant. It is a 720MW run-of-river power plant built on the Mangdechhu River in Trongsa Dzongkhag district of central Bhutan. The cost of the hydroelectric plant project is Rs 4,500-crore.
- Name the co-operation between India and Bhutan, which was commemorated by launching stamps ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Hydropower
The prime ministers of India & Bhutan jointly launched stamps to commemorate 5 decades of India-Bhutan Hydropower cooperation.
- Under the assistance of which organization, Ground Earth Station & SATCOM network was developed, for utilization of South Asia Satellite in Bhutan
1) Satish Dhawan Space Centre
2) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency(JAXA)
3) Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
4) National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
Both leaders jointly inaugurated the Ground Earth Station and SATCOM network, developed with assistance from Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for utilization of South Asia Satellite in Bhutan.
- Name the card, which was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Bhutan .
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) RuPay
PM launched RuPay Card in Bhutan by making a purchase at Simtokha Dzong which functions as a monastic and administrative centre and is one of the oldest dzongs in Bhutan. On increasing the currency swap limit for Bhutan under the SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) currency swap framework, PM said India’s approach is “positive”, adding that an additional $100 million will be available to Bhutan under a standby swap arrangement to meet the foreign exchange requirement.
- Which of the following IIT has not signed MoU with Royal University of Bhutan to focus on STEM(Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) ?
1) IIT Madras
2) IIT Kanpur
3) IIT Bombay
4) IIT Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) IIT Madras
MoU between the Royal University of Bhutan and Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, Bombay, Delhi were signed to focus on STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). 9 Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and 1 power purchase agreement were exchanged between India and Bhutan in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bhutanese counterpart Dr. Lotay Tshering at the Semtokha Dzong, Bhutan.
- Who has created a world record for the 2nd time by solving 176 pyraminx (pyramid-shaped rubik’s cube) puzzles while riding a bicycle in 1 hour and 7 minutes ?
1) Rowe Hessler
2) Tyson Mao
3) Lucas Etter
4) Chinmay Prabhu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Chinmay Prabhu
A 20-year-old Chinmay Prabhu from Mumbai has created a world record for the 2nd time under his name of solving 176 pyraminx (pyramid-shaped Rubik’s cube) puzzles while riding a bicycle in 1 hour and 7 minutes. He broke the record of solving 111 pyraminx puzzles.
- Name the biopic, which enters Guinness world book of records as longest documentary .
1) Waltz with Bashir
2) Behind the Candelabra
3) 100 years of Chrysostom
4) The King’s Speech
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 100 years of Chrysostom
The biographical documentary “100 years of Chrysostom” on Metropolitan Emeritus of the Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church of Malabar, Kerala, Philipose Mar Chrysostom, enters Guinness world book of records as the longest documentary. This documentary of length 48hour and 8minutes has broken the documentary length of Saudi Arabian documentary ‘World of Snakes’ of 21-hour length.
- Who won the J C Bose Fellowship award 2019 for his outstanding contribution in the field of population and medical genomics ?
1) Lalji Singh
2) K Thangaraj
3) Sharat Chandra
4) Ch Mohan Rao
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) K Thangaraj
K Thangaraj, chief scientist at the CSIR (Council of Scientific & Industrial Research) – Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, Telangana, bagged this year’s J C Bose Fellowship for his outstanding contribution in the field of population and medical genomics on August 17, 2019.
- Who was appointed as the President of Paytm on August 19, 2019 ?
1) Vijay Shekhar Sharma
2) Pallavi Shroff
3) Ravi Adusumalli
4) Madhur Deora
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Madhur Deora
On August 19, 2019, Indian largest digital wallet company, Paytm has promoted its CFO (chief financial officer) Madhu Deora as President of the company. On May 3, 2019, Bhushan Patil quits as a president of Paytm.
- Which organization released the report titled “Global SO2 emission hotspot database: Ranking the world’s worst sources of SO2 pollution” ?
2) Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development(OECD)
3) World Health Organization(WHO)
4) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization(UNESCO)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Greenpeace
Non-governmental environmental organization, Greenpeace released a report titled “Global SO2 emission hotspot database: Ranking the world’s worst sources of SO2 pollution”. It is written by Sunil Dahiya and Lauri Myllyvirta.
- Name the country, which is the world’s top emitter of anthropogenic sulphur dioxide(SO2) as per Greenpeace’s report “Global SO2 emission hotspot database: Ranking the world’s worst sources of SO2 pollution” .
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) India
India is the world’s top emitter of anthropogenic sulphur dioxide(SO2) in the world with more than 15% of all the SO2 hotspots, tracked by NASA’s (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) OMI (Ozone Monitoring Instrument) satellite. Norilsk smelter complex in Russia is the largest SO2 emission hotspot in the world, followed by China, Mexico, Zagroz (Iran) and Kriel in Mpumalanga province (South Africa).
- Which of the following fish species is not among the one discovered by researchers from the Rajiv Gandhi University (RGU), Arunachal Pradesh ?
1) Mystus prabini
2) Garra simbalbaraensis
3) Exostoma kottelati
4) Garra ranganensis
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Garra simbalbaraensis
On August 18, 2019 researchers from the Rajiv Gandhi University (RGU), Arunachal Pradesh have discovered 5 new fish species in various districts of the state.
The discovered fish species are:
Fish species Place Mystus prabini Sinkin and Dibang rivers in Lower Dibang valley district. Exostoma kottelati Ranga river in Lower subansiri district. Creteuchiloglanis tawangensis Tawangchu river in Tawang district. Garra ranganensis Ranga river Physoschistura harkishorei Dibang and Lohit rivers in lower Dibang valley district.
- Where will the 2019 World Youth chess championship to be held from October 1-13, 2019 ?
1) Hanoi, Vietnam
2) Moscow, Russia
3) Bangkok, Thailand
4) Mumbai, India
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mumbai, India
The 2019 World Youth chess championship is to be held in Mumbai from October 1-13, at the Renaissance Hotel in Powai, Mumbai under the aegis of All-India Chess Federation and organized by the All-Marathi chess Association.
- Who became the first person to replace as a concussion substitute in Test cricket while playing against England in 2019 Ashes Series in Lord’s, London ?
1) Marnus Labuschagne
2) Mitchell Swepson
3) Matt Renshaw
4) Michael Neser
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Marnus Labuschagne
Australia’s Marnus Labuschagne born in South Africa became the first person to replace as a concussion substitute in Test cricket. He replaced Steve Smith who suffered a delayed concussion caused by a blow on the back of the neck by England’s Jofra Archer’s bowling during the second match of 2019 Ashes Series in Lord’s, London.
- Who won 300m women’s gold medal in Athleticky Mitink Reiter Event 2019 in the Czech Republic ?
2) M. R. Poovamma
3) Hima Das
4) Dutee Chand
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Hima Das
In the 300m races held at the Athleticky Mitink Reiter Event 2019 in the Czech Republic, Indian sprinters Hima Das and Mohammad Anas won gold in the women’s and men’s category respectively.It was the sixth gold in European races by Hima Das since July 2, 2019.
- Ashley Cole announced retirement, he is associated with which sport ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Football
On August 18, 2019, Former Chelsea, Arsenal, and England football player Ashley Cole aged 38, announced his retirement from football, ending his 20-year playing career. It is expected that he would be pursuing a career in coaching.Born on 20 December 1980 in London, Cole began his youth career at Arsenal making his debut in 1999. He won two Premier League(PL) titles, three FA cups(The football association challenge cup).
- Which state’s former Chief Minister, Jagannath Mishra passed away recently ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bihar
Jagannath Mishra, former Bihar chief minister and JD(U) i.e., Janata Dal (United) leader passed away after battling cancer on August 19, 2019. He was undergoing treatment in New Delhi and breathed his last there. He hailed from Balua Bazar in Supaul district, Bihar.
- Ranjit Guru passed away recently, he was a ___________ .
4) Social Activist
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Journalist
Senior journalist & editor of Odia daily Sambad, Ranjit Guru passed away following a brief illness in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. He was 61. He got his credit by highlighting important issues through his writings and columns.He was also associated with popular newspapers of Anandabazar Patrika and The Asian Age.
- Name the deceased Punjabi writer, who won Sahitya Akademi award for his book “Gawache Arth” (The Lost Meaning) in 1999 .
1) Niranjan Singh Tasneem
2) Mahasweta Devi
3) Khushwant Singh
4) Govind Pansare
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Niranjan Singh Tasneem
Eminent Punjabi writer and Sahitya Akademi (1999) award winner Professor Niranjan Singh Tasneem passed away at his residence in Ludhiana, Punjab due to old age ailments on August 17, 2019. He is survived by wife, two daughters and a son. His last Punjabi novel was ‘Talaash Hoyi Sadeevi’ (year 2000) and his last published work was ‘Sahitkaari Atey Sahitik Paripekh’(2014). Awards: He was awarded the Sahitya Akademi award for his book “Gawache Arth” (The Lost Meaning) in 1999. The book was based on the life of Punjabis in 1984 Anti Sikh riots. He was also awarded Punjab’s highest literary honor- Punjabi Sahit Rattan in 2015.
- World photography day is celebrated on ____________ .
1) August 16
2) August 17
3) August 18
4) August 19
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) August 19
On August 19, 2019, World photography day was celebrated across the world. The aim of this day is to encourage people to express their feelings, emotions and social thinking through their photography skills.
- On which date, World Humanitarian Day is observed ?
1) August 19
2) August 17
3) August 18
4) August 16
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) August 19
The world humanitarian day (WHD) 2019 was observed on August 19, 2019. The day was observed to pay tribute to aid workers who risk their lives for humanitarian services. The Campaign for the 2019 World Humanitarian Day is ‘Women Humanitarians’. It aims to draw attention towards the work of women in crises throughout the world.
- When is Parsi New Year ‘Navroz or Jamshedi Navroz’ celebrated ?
1) August 19
2) August 17
3) August 18
4) August 16
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) August 17
On August 17, 2019, Parsis residing in India celebrated their new year ‘Navroz or Jamshedi Navroz’. It marks the Iranian and Persian New year. The day is dedicated to the beginning of spring. Navroz means a “new day” and the Parsi New Year is popularly referred as Pateti. Zoroastrians across the globe celebrated the New Year on March 21, 2019, by following Fasli/Bastnai calendar.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the country’s largest brackish water lagoon, Chilika lake located ?Answer – Odisha
The plan for Chilika, Ansupa will cost ₹180 cr. The Odisha Wetland Authority has approved implementation of an integrated management plan for Chilika, country’s largest brackish water lagoon, and Ansupa, State’s largest freshwater lake, at an estimated investment of ₹180 crore. The five-year management of lakes is intended at strengthening livelihood of thousands of fishermen relying on the two water-bodies. Besides, tourism promotion and conservation of ecology will be taken up.
- Where did ‘Shyamoli’- the heritage house of Rabindranath Tagore inaugurated ?Answer – West Bengal
Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu addresses at the inauguration of ‘Shyamoli’- the heritage house of Rabindranath Tagore – at Visva Bharati University in West Bengal’s Santiniketan on Aug 16, 2019.
- Name the weekly express which was suspended by India that connects Jodhpur in Rajasthan to Karachi in Pakistan .Answer – Thar Link Express
India suspended weekly Thar Link Express which connects Jodhpur in Rajasthan to Karachi in Pakistan, a railway official said. The train’s scheduled journey on Friday will not take place, North Western Railway’s Chief Public Relations Officer Abhay Sharma said.
- Who is the Chairperson of National Green Tribunal(NGT) ?Answer – Adarsh Kumar Goel
- What is the Capital and Currency of Bhutan ?Answer – Capital: Thimphu & Currency: Bhutanese Ngultrum