AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 17 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Following heavy rainfall and flood in Kerala, the Central government has constituted a coordination committee to work on the discharge of floodwaters between Kerala-Tamilnadu. Name the head of the committee?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Narendra Kumar
On August 17, 2018, on the event of heavy rainfall and flood in Kerala, the Central government has constituted a coordination committee to work on the discharge of floodwaters between Kerala-Tamilnadu. The committee is headed by the Central Water Commission Chairman Narendra Kumar to coordinate the discharge of floodwaters from inter-State projects involving Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The inter-state projects would include Mullaperiyar and Aliyar. The Chairman of the CWC will monitor the situation at Mullaperiyar dam in view of rising water level and continued heavy inflow.
- Which organization launched a new campaign named ‘Our Safety, Our Rights’, among children against sexual abuse, on 17th August 2018?
3.Amnesty International India
4.Save the girl child
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Amnesty International India
On August 17, 2018, Amnesty International India launched a new campaign named ‘Our Safety, Our Rights’, among children against sexual abuse. The campaign will culminate on October 11 – International Day of the Girl Child. To help them understand and identify sexual abuse. The campaign in collaboration with Bharat Gyan Vigyan Samiti, People’s Action for Rural Awakening (PARA) and Institute of Social Education. 50,000 students, parents, teachers and children from 400 schools, across four Indian states will be participating in this campaign.
- Where is the ‘iCRAFPT ’18’ (International Conference on Recent Advances in Food Processing Technology) held from 17th to 19th August 2018?
1.Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
2.Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
On August 17, 2018, commemorating its golden jubilee ‘iCRAFPT ’18’ , the Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology (IIFPT), started an international conference on recent advances in food processing technology till August 19, 2018 at its campus in Thanjavur. It would be inaugurated by union minister of food processing industries, Harsimrat Kaur Badal. The theme of the conference is: ‘Doubling Farmers Income through Food Processing’.
- Name the head of the panel formed to review red-labelling draft of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.B Sesikeran
On August 17, 2018, bill for red-labelling of packaged products containing fat, sugar and salt has been halted by the government as per FSSAI’s report. Additionally, a group of experts from health and nutrition background has been set up to look into the issue of labeling. The group is headed by B Sesikeran, former director of National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) as well as the current director Hemalatha and doctor Nikhil Tandon. It will study in detail the concerns of the industry and make recommendations.
- Where was the special film festival on the theme “Freedom Struggle and Freedom Fighters” held to mark India’s 72nd Independence Day, on 15th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Mumbai
On 15th August 2018, a special film festival on the theme “Freedom Struggle and Freedom Fighters” was held to mark India’s 72nd Independence Day, in Mumbai. The festival was organized by Films Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. It was inaugurated by Smt. Rama Khandwala, a freedom fighter and Indian National Army (INA) veteran. Documentary films on freedom struggle and freedom fighters were screened at the festival.
- RBI Governor Urjit Patel has unveiled UPI (Unified Payments Interface) version 2.0. Which entity has developed this new version?
1.National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)
2.National Informatics Centre (NIC)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)
On August 17, 2018, RBI Governor Urjit Patel unveiled UPI version 2.0. The new version has been developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). It will allow the customers to use overdraft limit for making payments for merchants. This has been made in need for ensuring adequate importance on cyber security. UPI 2.0 member banks as on date are: State Bank of India, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bank, RBL Bank, YES Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, IndusInd Bank, Federal Bank and HSBC.
- Sarvatra Technologies has launched ______ as 450th co-operative bank on National Financial Switch (NFS)?
1.Sevalia Urban Co-operative Bank
2.Sadapthi Urban Co-operative Bank
3.Sarvatra Urban Co-operative Bank
4.Samiksha Rural Co-operative Bank
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Sevalia Urban Co-operative Bank
On August 17, 2018, Sarvatra Technologies has launched ‘Sevalia Urban Co-operative Bank’ as 450th co-operative bank on National Financial Switch (NFS). Sarvatra brings many co-operative banks on digital payment platform by making them inter-operable with large banks. It aims to add another 50 plus co-operative banks by FY 2019. It has provided digital payment platform to larger banks like ICICI and IDBI bank and payment banks like Paytm Payments Bank, Equitas Small Finance Bank etc.
- Which company surpassed Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) to become most valued Indian company, on 17thAugust 2018?
1.Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
On August 17, 2018, according to BSE data, TCS overtakes RIL to become most valued Indian company. The market capitalisation (m-cap) of
• TCS stood at Rs 7,69,065.04.
• RIL stood at Rs 7,60,644.73 crore.
There is a difference of total Rs 8,420.31 crore in m cap. Earlier, on July 31st 2018, RIL was ranked the top company according to m cap crossing the USD 100-billion market capitalisation mark.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched RUCO initiative for collection and conversion of used cooking oil into bio-diesel. Expand RUCO?
1.Re Use Cooking Oil
2.Repurpose Used Cooking Oil
3.Re Use Crude Oil
4.Re Use and Collect Cooking Oil
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Repurpose Used Cooking Oil
On 10th August 2018, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) launched RUCO (Repurpose Used Cooking Oil) initiative for collection and conversion of used cooking oil into bio-diesel. Under RUCO, 64 companies at 101 locations have been identified to enable collection of used cooking oil. According to FSSAI, India has the potential to recover 220 crore litres of used cooking oil for the production of biodiesel by 2022. As per FSSAI regulations, the maximum permissible limits for Total Polar Compounds (TPC) is 25 %. Beyond this limit, the cooking oil is not safe for consumption.
- What is the rank of Indian football team in the latest FIFA world rankings, released on 16th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.96
- Which body will host the 2018 Asia Cup (cricket) from 15th to 28th September 2018?
1.Asian Cricket Council (ACC)
2.Board of Cricket Control of India (BCCI)
3.Emirates Cricket Board
4.International Cricket Committee (ICC)
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Emirates Cricket Board
On August 17, 2018, BCCI officially handed over its hosting rights to the Emirates Cricket Board for the upcoming Asia Cup 2018. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the Emirates Cricket Board signed an agreement for this purpose. This tournament would be held from September 15 to 28 in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Countries participating in the event are :Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka .They will be joined by a sixth team — the winner of the Asian Cricket Council qualifier event. The major attraction of this tournament is two assured Indo-Pakistan clashes.
- Who became India’s 53rd Grandmaster (GM) on 14th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Nihal Sarin
On 14th August 2018, Nihal Sarin became India’s 53rd Grandmaster (GM) after finishing his third and final GM-norm in the Abu Dhabi Masters. Nihal Sarin had already reached the stipulated rating of 2500. In the 8th round of the Abu Dhabi Masters, he reached 5.5 points and sealed the norm. Even though he lost the final round to Hungary’s GM Richard Rapport, his minimum rating performance of 2626 was enough to secure the title-winning norm. Nihal Sarin is 14 years old. He hails from Thrissur.
- Name the Indian cyclist who won a silver medal in the Men’s Keirin event, at the 2018 UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships in Aigle, Switzerland?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Esow Alben
Indian cyclist Esow Alben has won India’s first medal (a silver medal) at the 2018 UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships in Aigle, Switzerland. In the Men’s Keirin event, Czech Republic’s Jakub Stastny won gold medal. Esow Alben finished 0.017 seconds behind him and won silver medal. Kazakhstan’s Andrey Chugay won the bronze medal. Esow Alben also participated in the men’s team sprint event with Mayur Pawar and James Keithellakpam Singh. But the team did not qualify for the finals.
- Aretha Franklin passed away after fighting pancreatic cancer in Detroit, the United States of America, on 16thAugust 2018. What was her profession?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Singer
On 16th August 2018, US singer Aretha Franklin passed away after fighting pancreatic cancer at her residence in Detroit, the United States of America. Aretha Franklin was 76 years old. She was born in Memphis, Tennessee, US. She made her debut performance in 1961. In the late 1960s, she earned the title “Queen of Soul”. Some of her hit songs are: “Respect”, “Natural Woman” and “Chain of Fools.” She won the Grammy Award 18 times. She was the first female vocalist to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. In 2006, she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She performed at the inaugurations of three US Presidents: Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Non-executive Chairman and headquarters of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)?Answer – Non-Executive Chairman – Biswamohan Mahapatra; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Where is Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology located?Answer – Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
- Which state houses the Mullaperiyar Dam?Answer – Kerala
- When was UPI (Unified Payments Interface) launched?Answer – 2016
- Where is the headquarters of Asian Cricket Council (ACC)?Answer – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia