AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 16 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Name the programme launched by Ministry of Railways to spread awareness about Indian Railways Heritage?
1.Stories of India
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Digital Screens
On August 16, 2018, Ministry of Railways launches “Digital Screens” to spread awareness about Indian Railways Heritage. From the Independence Day on (August 15, 2018), “digital screens” has been made operational at 22 railway stations. Addirionally, QR code based posters on Railway Heritage are also being displayed at these stations. These would allow passengers to scan and view a streaming video on their mobile on Railway heritages. Dedicated heritage video walls are being installed in New Delhi and Howrah.
- Which state government has lifted family income ceiling for the beneficiaries of women welfare scheme ‘Kanyashree’?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.West Bengal
On August 16, 2018, West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee lifted family income ceiling for the beneficiaries of women welfare scheme ‘Kanyashree’. Earlier the ceiling was : Rs 120,000 or less. This would cost the state government an additional Rs 200 crore. The state had already incurred an annual expenditure of Rs 1200 crore under the scheme in 2017.
- Which state has launched Dial 100 Mobile app, to help the needy at the time of emergency?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Madhya Pradesh
On 15th August 2018, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched Dial 100 Mobile app, to help the needy at the time of emergency. Once Madhya Pradesh Police receive a call through Dial 100 mobile app, they will reach the location as soon as possible, to help the people in distress. Shivraj Singh Chouhan also announced that more CCTV cameras will be fixed outside schools, public and private areas.
- Indian Government released additional _____ for the Postal Highway being constructed in Southern Plains of Nepal?
1.NPR 470 million
2.NPR 570 million
3.NPR 320 million
4.NPR 670 million
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.NPR 470 million
On 14th August 2018, Indian Government released additional NPR 470 million for the Postal Highway being constructed in Southern Plains of Nepal. Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri handed over NPR 470 million to the Secretary of Nepal’s Minister for Physical Infrastructure and Transport Madhusudan Adhikari. This amount has been released for the ongoing construction of 14 road packages under Postal Highway Project. With this payment, a total of NPR 2.35 billion has been released to Nepal out of the total grant assistance of NPR 8 billion committed by Indian Government for implementing 14 road packages.
- Where was the 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) themed “Learning To Be Human” held on 13th August 2018?
3.New York, United States
4.New Delhi, India
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Beijing, China
On August 13, 2018, the 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) was held in Beijing, China for the first time. This event will continue till Aug. 20, 2018. The theme for this event is: “Learning To Be Human”. This event has been organized by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies, and Peking University. It consists of more than 1,000 activities, such as plenary sessions, symposia, lectures and roundtables.
- Bharti AXA has partnered with which bank to offer Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana?
1.Karur Vysya Bank
2.Airtel Payments Bank
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Airtel Payments Bank
On August 16, 2018, Bharti AXA, Airtel Payments Bank team up to offer Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana. This aims to increase penetration of life insurance products among the underinsured masses and boost financial inclusion. IT is aimed to reach the 190 million under-insured Indians under Airtel Payments Bank. This would help to strengthen Bharti AXA Life Insurance’s presence in India.
- Andhra Bank raised MCLR (Marginal Cost of funds based Lending rate) by what percent for various tenors, on 16th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.0.15 %
Tenors New Rates (in %)
One Month 8.20
Three months 8.40
Six months 8.55
One year 8.70
- On August 16, 2018, India Ratings reduced growth forecast of India to ____% from 7.4% for FY19?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.7.2 %
On August 16, 2018, according to India Ratings, growth forecast of India has been cut to 7.2% from 7.4% for FY19. Increasing crude prices and the goverment’s decision to fix tfix the minimum support prices of all kharif crops at 1.5 times of the production cost.high level of bad loans. The private final consumption expenditure to grow 7.6% in FY19 compared to 6.6% in FY18. The annual value of exports to touch USD345 billion in FY19.
- Which entity has announced partnership with IRCTC app ‘IRCTC Rail Connect’, to facilitate convenient, fast and secure payments?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.PhonePe
On August 16, 2018, PhonePe announced partnership with IRCTC app ‘IRCTC Rail Connect’, to facilitate convenient, fast and secure payments. This will enable PhonePe’s 100 million plus users to now pay directly from their bank accounts using UPI, credit and debit cards and also the PhonePe wallet. IRCTC app will have a trusted digital payment platform for the transactions.
- James P. Allison, Carl June and _____, have been conferred the 2018 Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research?
1.Steven A. Rosenberg
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Steven A. Rosenberg
James P. Allison, Carl June and Steven A. Rosenberg, have been conferred the 2018 Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research. James P. Allison is from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Carl June is from the University at Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine in Philadelphia. Steven A. Rosenberg is from the National Institutes of Health’s National Cancer Institute in Maryland. These have made significant contribution to the field of immunotherapy and have revolutionized cancer treatment.
- Who has emerged as India’s wealthiest woman as per the Kotak Wealth Hurun – Leading Wealthy Women 2018 list?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Smitha Crishna
Rank Name Wealth (Rs crore) Company
1 Smitha Crishna 37,570 Godrej
2 Roshni Nadar 30,200 HCL
3 Indu Jain 26,240 Bennett Coleman & Co Group
4 Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw 24,790 Biocon
5 Kiran Nadar 20,120 HCL
6 Leena Gandhi Tewari 10,730 USV
7 Sangita Jindal 10,450 JSW Steel
8 Jayshree Ullal 9,490 Arista Networks
9 Anu Aga 8,550 Thermax
10 Shradha Agarwal 8,200 Outcome Health
- Which entity has been named as a ‘Knowledge Partner’ to the Banks Board Bureau (BBB)?
1.Egon Zehnder International
2.Mark Tucker Consultants Ltd
4.E&Y Consultants Pvt Ltd
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Egon Zehnder International
Indian Banks’ Association has appointed Egon Zehnder International as a ‘Knowledge Partner’ to the Banks Board Bureau (BBB). As a Knowledge Partner, Egon Zehnder International will help to design, implement and institutionalise a flagship leadership development strategy for public sector banks in India. Also, Hay Consultants Private Limited, a part of Korn Ferry Group, will help BBB to assess leadership competencies and potential capabilities of candidates appearing for appointment as wholetime directors of public sector banks.
- Who has been elected the Chair of the International Nitrogen Initiative (INI), a global policy making initiative?
1.P K Singh
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.N Raghuram
N Raghuram has been elected the Chair of the International Nitrogen Initiative (INI), a global policy making initiative. N Raghuram is an Indian scientist and academician. He is a professor at the GGS Indraprastha University, New Delhi. He has been the President of the Indian Nitrogen Group and a Steering Committee member of the UNEP Global Partnership on Nutrient Management. He is the first Indian and Asian to be elected as Chair of INI. He will succeed Mark Sutton as chair of INI.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the Chairman of Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) under Union Commerce Ministry?
2.K S Srinivas
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.K S Srinivas
On August 14, 2018, IAS officer K S Srinivas has been appointed as the Chairman of Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA)under Union Commerce Ministry. He assumed his charge on August 13, 2018. He had served as Joint Secretary in the Department of Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers’ Welfare in the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Who was re-elected as president of Mali, on 16th August 2018?
2.Ibrahim Boubacar Keita
4.Masood Ali Sahad
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Ibrahim Boubacar Keita
On 16th August 2018, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita was re-elected as president of Mali. Ibrahim Boubacar Keita won 67 percent of the vote and defeated his opponent Soumaila Cisse in the presidential election. Ibrahim Boubacar Keita will serve his second five-year term as President of Mali. He is 73 years old. He will assume office on 4th September 2018.
- Who was sworn in as the new President of Paraguay, on 16th August 2018?
3.Mario Abdo Benítez
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Mario Abdo Benítez
On August 16, 2018, 46-year-old Mario Abdo Benítez has been sworn in as the new President of Paraguay. He replaced Horacio Cartes. He belongs to the conservative Colorado Party.
- Name the multi-purpose missile defence system, jointly developed by India and Israel, that is to be procured by the Israeli Navy?
2.Minaaz – 4
3.Surya – 3
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Barak 8
The multi-purpose Barak 8 missile defence system, jointly developed by India and Israel, will be procured by the Israeli Navy. Barak 8 has been developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), India’s DRDO, Israel’s Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure, Elta Systems, Rafael and few other Indian defence companies. It is referred to as Barak-8 by Israel and LR-SAM (long-range surface-to-air missile) by India. It has variants with maximum ranges of 70km and 150km.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee, passed away following a long term illness, in Delhi, on 16th August 2018. How many times did he serve as Prime Minister of India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.3
In 1996, Atal Bihari Vajpayee became Prime Minister of India. However, he held the position for only 13 days due to lack of majority. In 1998, he was again elected as Prime Minister. But his term ended in 13 months, due to lack of stable majority. In 1999, he was re-elected as Prime Minister and served a full five-year term. He was the first non-Congress Prime Minister to serve a full five-year term. He was also the first BJP leader to become Prime Minister of India. He also served three terms as Prime Minister of India (first term: 1996, second term: 1998–1999, third term: 1999–2004).
- Ajit Wadekar, died following a long term illness, in Mumbai, on 15th August 2018. What was his profession?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Cricketer
On 15th August 2018, former Indian cricket captain Ajit Wadekar, died following a long term illness, at the Jaslok Hospital in South Mumbai. Ajit Wadekar was 77 years old. He was born in Mumbai. He made his international cricket debut in 1966. He was India’s first ODI (One Day Internatioanl) captain. He had scored 2,113 runs in his Test career.
- Who has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of DocPrime, the new healthtech venture of Policybazaar?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Ashish Gupta
Policybazaar has appointed Ashish Gupta as the Chief Executive Officer of its new healthtech venture, DocPrime. It has named Richit Ummat as the Chief Operating Officer of the new venture. Ashish Gupta, who has been serving as Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at PolicyBazaar since November 2015. He will continue in his current role of CTO until a successor is announced.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Indian Ambassador to Nepal?Answer – Manjeev Singh Puri
- When was ‘Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana’ (PMJJBY) launched?Answer – 2015
- Who is the CEO of PhonePe?Answer – Sameer Nigam
- Where is the headquarters of Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA)?Answer – Kochi, Kerela
- What is the capital and currency of Mali?Answer – Capital – Bamako; Currency – West African CFA franc