AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 14 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Central Government approved more than _____ to increase the country’s forest cover, on 14th August 2018?
1.Rs 10,050 crore
2.Rs 66,000 crore
3.Rs 23,000 crore
4.Rs 45,000 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs 66,000 crore
On August 14, 2018, Centre has approved more than 66,000 crore rupees to increase the country’s forest cover. It is an accumulation of money given by the user agencies as a compensation for diverting forest land for non-forest purposes, including industries and infrastructure, over the last 10 years. This money has been divided among the states and union for afforestation and conservation purposes and required authorities are being set up for monitoring purposes also. 80 percent of the compensatory afforestation amount will be utilized by the states in 13 activities.
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has constituted a 7 member working group for norms regarding insurance surveyors. Who is the head of the group?
1.Yegna Priya Bharat
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Yegna Priya Bharat
On August 14, 2018, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) constituted a 7 member working group for norms regarding insurance surveyors. The group will headed by Yegna Priya Bharat, Chief General Manager (Nonlife), IRDAI. The group will work on the following :
• areas pertaining to licensing, renewal and others as per the existing regulatory framework for Surveyors and Loss Assessors.
• analysis of the existing regulatory framework as per requirements of the industry.
• study the Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association of the Indian Institute of Insurance Surveyors and Loss Assessors (IISLA).
• make recommendations to bring about clarity and alignment with the Surveyor Regulations.
• issues related to the membership of IIISLA.
- Ministry of AYUSH has introduced new Central Sector scheme for promoting pharmacovigilance of Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy (ASU&H) Drugs. Which has been designated as National Pharmacovigilance Centre?
1.National Institute for Ayurveda
2.All India Institute of Ayurveda
3.All India Centre for Natural Medicine
4.National Institute for Homeopathy
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.All India Institute of Ayurveda
Government has sanctioned grant of Rs 10.60 Crore for the establishment of pharmacovigilance network. The three-tier network consists of:
• National Pharmacovigilance Centre (NPvCC),
• Intermediary Pharmacovigilance Centres (IPvCCs) and
• Peripheral Pharmacovigilance Centres (PPvCC).
Additionally, All India Institute of Ayurveda, New Delhi, an autonomous body under the Ministry of AYUSH, has been designated as National Pharmacovigilance Centre. It received the grant from the government. The government aims to achieve the target of 100 peripheral pharmacovigilance centres by 2020.
- Which city has topped the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Index as ‘world’s most pleasant city to live in’?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Vienna, Austria
Rank City 1 Vienna (Austria) 2 Melbourne (Australia) 3 Osaka (Japan) 4 Calgary (Canada) 5 Sydney (Australia) 6 Vancouver (Canada) 7 Toronto (Canada) and Tokyo (Japan) 9 Copenhagen (Denmark) 10 Adelaide (Australia)
- Recently which country decided to recommence the Adoption Programme with India, that was put on hold 8 years ago?
1.United States of America
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Australia
The Australian Government had put on hold adoptions from India, 8 years ago, due to allegations of child trafficking for Inter-country adoption by some recognized Indian placement agencies. Inter-country adoption regulations have been made stricter by the Indian Government with the passing of Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 and notification of Adoption Regulations, 2017. The Ministry of Women & Child Development and Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) had been requesting the Australian Government for recommencement of the Adoption Programme.
- Where was the two-day Nepal-India Literature Festival 2018 inaugurated on 14th August 2018?
1.New Delhi, India
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Birgunj, Nepal
On August 14, 2018, Chief Minister of Province 2 Mohammad Lalbabu Raut of Nepal inaugurated the 2 day Nepal-India Literature Festival 2018 in Birgunj, Nepal. The event was organised by Nepal India Co-operation Forum. This was a literary exchange programme that aims to strengthen the old religious, cultural and social relations between the two countries. Around 250 participants from India and Nepal participated in this event. On this occasion eminent writers from both the countries were also felicitated.
- ICICI Bank increased its fixed deposit interest rates for select maturities and amounts with effect from 14th August 2018. What is the fixed deposit interest rate for 7 days to 14 days period?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.4 %
Tenure Period Rate of Interest (% p.a.) w.e.f August 14, 2018 General Senior Citizen* 7 days to 14 days 4 4.5 15 days to 29 days 4.25 4.75 30 days to 45 days 5.5 6 46 days to 60 days 5.75 6.25 61 days to 90 days 6 6.5 91 days to 120 days 6 6.5 121 days to 184 days 6 6.5 185 days to 289 days 6.5 7 290 days to less than 1 year 6.75 7.25 1 year to 389 days 6.75 7.25 390 days to 2 years 7 7.5 2 years 1 day upto 5 years 7.25 7.75 5 years 1 day upto 10 years 7 7.5 5 Years Tax saver FD(Max upto Rs. 1.50 lac) 7.25 7.75
- Which bank’s server was under a malware attack for 2 days between August 11 and August 13 and an amount of Rs 94 crore has been transferred off?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Cosmos Bank
On August 14, 2018, Cosmos bank announced that the server of Pune-based bank was under a malware attack for 2 days between August 11 and August 13 and an amount of Rs 94 crore has been transferred off. The fraudulent transactions were carried out via cloning of thousands of the bank’s debit cards and 25 ATMs located in Canada, Hong Kong and a few in India. The cards of the cooperative bank customers that were cloned were of Visa and Rupay. The malware attack was on the switch, which is operative for payment gateways of Visa and Rupay debit cards.
- Head Constable Mohd Tafail of the CRPF has been conferred the President’s Police Medal for Gallantry (PPMG) posthumously. What does “R” represent in CRPF?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Reserve
On 14th August 2018, the government announced service medals for 942 state police and paramilitary personnel for the upcoming 72nd Independence Day. Constable Sharief-ud-din Ganaie and Head Constable Mohd Tafail of the CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) have been conferred the President’s Police Medal for Gallantry (PPMG) posthumously. Also, 89 other CRPF personnel have been conferred the Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG) for their brave actions. This is the highest-ever gallantry medals count for CRPF.
- Who was appointed the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY), on 13thAugust 2018?
1.Ashish Kumar Bhutani
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Ashish Kumar Bhutani
On 13th August 2018, Ashish Kumar Bhutani was appointed the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY). Ashish Kumar Bhutani is an IAS officer of the 1992 batch of Assam-Meghalaya cadre. He has been appointed the CEO of PMFBY till 9th May 2020.
- Name the non-executive chairman of Canara Bank who was given extension for 2 years on 14th August 2018?
2.Thothala Narayanasamy Manoharan
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Thothala Narayanasamy Manoharan
On August 14, 2018, the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the extension terms of non-executive chairmen of Canara Bankand Bank of India for two years. The non-executive chairmen are :
Canara Bank: Thothala Narayanasamy Manoharan.
Bank of India: Gopalaraman Padmanabhan.
Their terms for the post of part-time non-official director on the board of the banks has been extended as well. The appointments are effective from 15th August 2018.
- Who has been appointed as head coach of the women’s national cricket team till the ICC World T20, to be held in November 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Ramesh Powar
On August 14, 2018, 40-year-old former India spinner Ramesh Powar has been appointed as head coach of the women’s national cricket team till the ICC World T20, scheduled to be held in November, by BCCI. He was appointed interim coach of the team in July after the resignation of Tushar Arothe. He is the third coach of women’s team in past one and a half year after Purnima Rau and Tushar Arothe. Powar has played 31 ODIs and two Tests from 2004 to 2007, picking 34 wickets with a best of 54 in the 50-over format.
- Who was appointed as the acting chief executive officer of UTI Mutual Fund on 14th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Imtaiyazur Rahman
On August 14, 2018, UTI Mutual Fund appointed Imtaiyazur Rahman as the acting chief executive officer after Leo Puri stepped down as MD and CEO. Prior to this, he was the Group President and Chief Finance Officer of UTI MF. His appointment has been made effective from 14th August 2018.
- Name Allahabad Bank’s MD and CEO, who was fired from her position on 14th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Usha Ananthasubramanian
On August 14, 2018, Allahabad Bank’s MD and CEO Usha Ananthasubramanian was fired on her last day in office. She had served as the CEO and Managing Director of PNB from 2015 to 2017. Before that, she had also served as PNB’s Executive Director from 2011 to 2013. She has been named in a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) chargesheet in the Rs 14,000 crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud.
- Which country unveiled the latest generation of its Fateh ballistic missile named Fateh Mobin or Bright Conqueror, on 13th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Iran
On 13th August 2018, Iran has successfully test fired and unveiled the latest generation of its Fateh ballistic missile named Fateh Mobin or Bright Conqueror. It is a short-range ballistic missile. It has a range between 300-500 kilometers. It is capable of striking targets on land and sea. It has been indigenously designed. It is an agile, radar-evading and tactical missile with pinpoint accuracy.
- Name the girl who became India’s latest Woman Grandmaster (WGM), on 12th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.R Vaishali
On 12th August 2018, R Vaishali became India’s latest Woman Grandmaster (WGM). She is the elder sister of R. Praggnanandhaa, who became the second youngest Grand Master in the world in June 2018. She is 17 years old. She completed her third and final WGM norm in the Riga Technical University Open chess tournament in Riga, Latvia.
- Balramji Dass Tandon, died following a heart attack, on 14th August 2018. He was the Governor of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Chhattisgarh
Balramji Dass Tandon was 90 years old. He was born on 1st November 1927. In 1953, he became a Corporator in Amritsar Municipal Corporation. He was a six-time MLA. He was also deputy chief minister of Punjab. He was jailed from 1975 to 1977 during Emergency. He was one of the founding members of Jan Sangh, BJP’s parent organization. He became the Governor of Chhattisgarh in July 2014.
- Hakam Singh died due to liver and kidney ailments in Sangrur, Punjab, on 14th August 2018. He was a _____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Athlete
On 14th August 2018, Asian Games gold medallist athlete Hakam Singh died due to liver and kidney ailments in Sangrur, Punjab. Hakam Singh was 64 years old. He had won gold medal in 20 km race walk event at the 1978 Asiad at Bangkok. He received the Dhyan Chand Award in 2008. He ended his career as an athlete in in 1981 following a major accident. He served as Havaldar in the 6 Sikh regiment.
- Name the book written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi that was released in Odia by Union Minister for Oil and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan in Bhubaneswar on 13th August 2018?
4.A guide to success
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Exam Warriors
On 13th August 2018, Union Minister for Oil and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan launched the Odia edition of the book ‘Exam Warriors’ written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. The Odia edition of the book was released by Odisha Book Emporium. It is a motivational book for children. It helps children to handle examination stress. It was earlier released in English and Hindi in February 2018.
- When was International left handers day celebrated?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.August 13
August 13 is celebrated as International left handers day annually. It aims to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left handers. The day was first observed in the year 1976 by Dean R. Campbell, founder of the Lefthanders International, Inc.
- When was Shaheed Saman Diwas observed in all districts of Madhya Pradesh, to honour families of martyrs of Madhya Pradesh origin?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.August 14
Madhya government had decided to honour families of martyrs of Madhya Pradesh origin, who sacrificed their lives during war, military action and internal security. Minister-In-Charge of Districts, Member of Parliament, MLA and other Public Representatives took part in the Shaheed Samman Diwas. Programmes in memory of 602 Martyrs were organised. Families of 13 martyrs were honoured in the programme at Bhopal. Families of 312 Martyrs of Defence, 119 Martyrs of Para Military Forces, 171 of Madhya Pradesh Police were honoured in various districts.
- On 12th August 2018, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman dedicated a bridge at the Hussainiwala border in Ferozepur district of which state to the nation?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Punjab
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman today dedicated to the nation a bridge at the Hussainiwala border in Ferozepur district of Punjab. It is a permanent bridge as the old one was demolished in 1971 during the Indo-Pak war to stop the advancement of the Pakistani forces. The bridge is the only lifeline for nearly 10 villages connecting Hussainiwala enclave with the rest of the country.
- Name the Indian Naval Ship that is one a goodwill visit to Fiji?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.INS Sahyadri
Indian Naval Ship (INS) Sahyadri which was on a good will visit to the island nation entered the Port of Suva on 13th August 2018. The naval ship is visiting the Republic of Fiji en route to India after participating in the Rim of the Pacific Exercise (RIMPAC)-2018 organised at Hawaii. During the visit, the Indian naval ship personnel will have professional interaction with their Republic of Fiji counterparts and the ship will have an ‘Open Day’ for general public.
- On 12th August 2018, India handed over the first lot of houses built for Indian-origin people in Sri Lanka, which is the largest Indian assistance project in any country. How much grant has been provided for this project?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.$350 million
India handed over the first lot of houses built for Indian-origin people in Sri Lanka’s tea plantation areas. Prime Minister Narendra Modi joined a special ceremony through video conference at Dunsinane Estate, Nuwara Eliya to hand over the houses built under the Indian Housing Project in Plantation Areas. It is the largest Indian assistance project in any country with a grant of over $350 million.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Chairman and headquarters of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI)?Answer – Chairman – Subhash Chandra Khuntia; Headquarters – Hyderabad
- What is the tag line of ICICI Bank?Answer – Hum Hain Na
- Name the CEO and headquarters of Canara Bank?Answer – CEO – Rakesh Sharma; Headquarters – Bengaluru
- When was Bank of India founded?Answer – 1906
- Where is Achanakmar Wildlife Sanctuary located?Answer – Chhattisgarh