AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 13,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On August 12, 2017, which State Assembly passed Religious Freedom Bill, 2017 aimed to stop the forced conversions in the state?
1.Chhattisgarh State Assembly
2.Jharkhand State Assembly
3.Bihar State Assembly
4.Kerala State Assembly
5.Andhra Pradesh State Assembly
Answer – 2.Jharkhand State Assembly
The Bill has provision for imprisonment of three years and fine of Rs 50,000 or both, and four year- imprisonment and Rs 1 lakh fine, or both, if the person converted is a minor, woman or a member of Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe.
- On August 12, 2017, Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan commissioned which Indian Coast Guard ship in Goa?
1. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Shaurya’
2. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Suraj’
3. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Shoorvir’
4. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Sanjay’
5. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Shalin’
Answer – 1. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Shaurya’
ICGS ‘Shaurya’ is the fifth in the series of six 105-metre offshore patrol vessels (OPVs). It has been designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Ltd and is fitted with state-of-the-art navigation and communication equipment, sensors and machineries.
- . Who among the following African-American author has won the Hugo Award for Best Novel 2017 for her work ‘The Obelisk Gate’?
Answer – 4.Nora K. Jemisin
The award was presented at the 75th World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki, Finland on August 11, 2017. ‘The Obelisk Gate’ is the second in the trilogy that started with ‘The Fifth Season’, which was New York Times Notable Book of 2015 and won Jemisin the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2016. The novel is about the life on a planet where the inhabitants would undergo a “Fifth Season” of catastrophic climate change every a few centuries.
- Who among the following has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)?
Answer – 5.Dilip Asbe
National Payments Corporation of India has appointed Dilip Asbe, as its Chief Executive Officer in the wake of the retirement of A. P. Hota, its founding Managing Director. Mr. Hota, who had served as the MD of NPCI since its inception, retired on August 10, 2017. Asbe who currently serves as the organisation’s Chief Operating Officer will continue in the same designation, but will also act as the Chief Executive Officer of NPCI.
- Who among the following has been appointed as the World Health Organisation’s goodwill ambassador for physical activity in South-East Asia Region (SEAR)?
4.P T Usha
5.P V Sindhu
Answer – 1.Milkha Singh
As WHO goodwill ambassador, Milkha Singh, also known as ‘the Flying Sikh’, will promote WHO SEAR’s non-communicable diseases (NCDs) prevention and control action plan which seeks to reduce the level of insufficient physical activity by 10 per cent and NCDs by 25 per cent by 2025.
- Parliamentary Panel headed by _________ has recently tabled its report in Parliament. In the report, the panel has recommended 100% pension to widow of deceased soldier.
1.L K Diwan
2.B C Khanduri
Answer – 2. B C Khanduri
Parliamentary Panel headed by Maj. General (Retired) B C Khanduri has recently tabled its report in Parliament. In the report, the panel has recommended the 100% pension to widow of deceased soldier so that she can take care of her family.
- On August 11, 2017, which bank introduced two tier interest rate structure for saving bank accounts and will offer 4 per cent interest per annum for incremental balance over Rs 50 lakh and 3.50 per cent per annum for balance up to Rs 50 lakh?
4.Indian Overseas Bank
Answer – 3.Indian Bank
PSU lender Indian Bank has said it will offer an interest rate of 4 per cent per annum on savings account with an incremental balance of over Rs 50 lakh and 3.50 per cent per annum for deposits up to Rs 50 lakh. The new interest rate will be effective from August 16, 2017.
- Sandeep Gupta has been appointed as the head of Indian operations of which cross-border payments network?
Answer – 4.Earthport
Earthport, which runs a network for cross-border payments, has appointed Sandeep Gupta as its head of Indian operations. Sandeep Gupta, who is based in Mumbai, will be responsible for leading the expansion of the business in the primary markets of India and Sri Lanka.
- Rajya Sabha TV CEO ____________, announced his resignation from the post on August 12, 2017.
1.Gurdeep Singh Sappal
4.Jayendra Nath Sen
5.Manpreet Singh Barnala
Answer – 1.Gurdeep Singh Sappal
Sappal, announcing his resignation on Facebook, thanked Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu for accepting his resignation. Prasar Bharti CEO Shashi Shekhar Vempati has been given addition charge of the channel.
- Researchers from which country have discovered fossils of a new species of arrow-shaped marine animals that have translucent bodies making them difficult to spot?
Answer – 2.Canada
The newly discovered 508-million-year-old fossils are much bigger than their modern counterparts, largest being 10 cm long. The species has around 25 pairs of hooks around its mouth, at least double the number of hooks known in living forms.
- Who among the following has become the youngest person to reach the summit of the 6,153 metres-high Mt Stok Kangri in Kashmir?
Answer – 3.Kaamya Karthikeyan
Nine-year-old Kaamya Karthikeyan became the youngest person to reach the summit of the 6,153 metres-high Mt Stok Kangri in Kashmir. Reaching the peak involved climbing 30 km over a course of three days, with an altitude gain of 2,750 metres.
- . The Indian army had sent two _______ tanks and a 21-man crew for the tank biathlon at the 2017 International Army Games in Russia.
Answer – 5.T-90 tanks
The Indian Army has been eliminated from a multi-nation tank competition in Russia after both its T-90 main battle tanks developed technical problems at the Alabino ranges in the Moscow region. China with its Type-96B tank and Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan with different T-72 variants raced to the last round of the competition in which 19 countries took part.
- All state-run universities in which state will not observe a holiday on October 2 on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti this year?
Answer – 1.Rajasthan
The new holiday calendar passed by the office of Rajasthan governor Kalyan Singh has holidays for Moharram and Diwali in the month of October, but not on Gandhi Jayanthi, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The government has stated that the day will be utilised to hold functions to celebrate the birth of the Father of the Nation.
- Who among the following has become the first female actor ever to hoist the Indian National Flag at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM)?
3.Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
Answer – 3.Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
Bollywood star Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has become the first female actor ever to hoist the Indian National Flag at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM), Australia’s annual celebration of film from India and the subcontinent. Aishwarya was also bestowed with ‘Excellence in Global Cinema’ award at the film festival.
- Which among the following Indian company has become the third most funded private company globally?
Answer – 3.Flipkart
With the $2.4 billion it just received from Japanese technology and telecom giant SoftBank, Flipkart has become the third most funded private company globally. The homegrown e-commerce company has to date raised almost $7 billion in capital
- Which Bangalore-based start-up has been recently acquired by messaging app Hike?
Answer – 4.Creo
Indian messaging app Hike has acquired a Bangalore-based startup Creo. It is known for releasing smartphones, media streaming dongles, and an operating system. The Creo team will begin work on a developer platform to enable 3rd party developers to build services on the Hike platform.
- On August 12, 2017, who among the following resigned as president of the Nagaur District Association, marking an end to his presence in the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA)?
Answer – 3.Lalit Modi
Lalit Modi on August 12, 2017 resigned as president of the Nagaur District Association, marking an end to his presence in the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA), which was banned by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for allowing him in its fold.
- On August 11, 2017, who among the following was appointed as part of the reconstituted Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)?
Answer – 2.Vidya Balan
The CBFC has been reconstituted for a period of three years or until further orders, whichever is earlier. Prasoon Joshi is the new Chairperson of CBFC. Vidya Balan is joined by Gautami Tadimalla, Narendra Kohli, Naresh Chandra Lal, Neil Herbert Nongkynrih, Vivek Agnihotri, Waman Kendre, T.S. Nagabharana, Ramesh Patange, Vani Tripati Tikoo, Jeevitha Rajasekhar and Mihir Bhuta.
- Anthropologists have discovered a 13 million year-old baby ape skull in _______ that reveals what the common ancestor of all living humans and apes would have looked like.
Answer – 2.Kenya
According to the study published in Nature roughly the size of a lemon, the skull belongs to a newly identified species of early ape named Nyanzapithecusalesi. Nyanzapithecusalesi was part of a group of primates that existed in Africa for over 10 million years.
- Who among the following has won a bronze medal at the ongoing seventh Asian Shotgun Championship in Kazakhstan, handing India its first women’s skeet individual medal at a top international competition?
Answer – 5.Maheshwari Chauhan
Besides winning a bronze medal in individual event, Maheshwari also led the Indian team to the silver medal along with compatriots Rashmmi Rathore and Saniya Sheikh. The trio shot a total of 190, finishing five points behind China.
- ‘Organ Donation Day’ is observed on which date every year?
Answer – 5.13th August
Organ Donation is donating a donor’s organs like heart, liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs, and pancreas, after the donor dies, for the purpose of transplanting them into another person who is in need of an organ. The aim of this day is to motivate people to donate organs after death, and to spread awareness about the importance of organ donation.
- International Left-Handers Day is observed on 13th August every year. It was first observed in which year?
Answer – 2.1976
International Left-Handers Day is designated by Left handers International. It was first observed on the 13th of August, in the year 1976. It is meant to promote awareness of the inconveniences faced by left-handers in a predominantly right-handed world.