AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 11 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On 8th August 2018, the NITI Aayog and the CII announced a partnership to work on meeting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of India. Expand CII?
1.Committee of Indian Industries
2.Confederation of Indian Industries
3.Commission of Indian Industries
4.Commercial and Industrial Institutions
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Confederation of Indian Industries
On 8th August 2018, the NITI Aayog and the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) announced a partnership to work on meeting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of India. This announcement was made at the Government and Business Partnership Conclave held at New Delhi. It was organised by the NITI Aayog, CII and the United Nations. Minister of State for Power and Renewable Energy, Raj Kumar Singh, said that, a solar power plant with storage facilities and a 35,000 MW potential will be built in Ladakh. Recently, the CII launched its report: Indian Solutions for the World to Achieve SDGs. The report covers individual SDG, targets and business implications.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the first phase of UP Deference Corridor in _____ on 11th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Aligarh
On 11th August 2018, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated thefirst phase of UP Deference Corridor in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh. 6 nodal points have been identified for the corridor: Agra, Aligarh, Lucknow, Kanpur, Chitrakoot and Jhansi. Stakeholder interactions have begun in Lucknow, Kanpur, Agra and Jhansi.
- Which city was declared as India’s most polluted city by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) in its Air quality index (AQI), on 5th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Gurugram
As on August 5, the AQI of Gurugram has crossed 300 mark marking it in the ‘Very Poor’ category of AQI. It scored 321 marks. 6 cities have been marked as ‘Poor’, 1 City (Gurugram) has been marked as ‘Very Poor’, 2 cities has been marked as ‘Good’, 26 cities marked as ‘Satisfactory’ and 27 cities as ‘Moderate’.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the continuation of PMGSY beyond the 12th five year plan period. What does “S” represent in PMGSY?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Sadak
PMGSY – Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
On August 11, 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi , approved the continuation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) beyond the 12th five year plan period. It has an estimated cost of Rs. 84,934 crore. The Cente’s share in this will be Rs 54,900 crore and the states’ share is Rs 30,034 crore. Initially the targets of PMGSY were to be achieved by March 2022, however date of achievement of PMGSY-I was pre-poned to March, 2019.
- Name the Union science ministry’s communication wing that has launched the India Science Technology and Innovation portal?
4.All India Network
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Vigyan Prasar
On August 11, 2018, the Union science ministry’s communication wing, Vigyan Prasar launched the India Science Technology and Innovation portal. It would invest Rs. 15 crore for development and upgradation of portal. The portal is to reach out to students, researchers, scholars, scientists both from India and abroad. The portal follows a launch of India Science (indiascience.in ), an Internet-based science channel, to showcase the developments in science and technology in India.
- Where was Operation “Madad” launched by the Southern Naval Command (SNC) on 9th August 2018, to carry out disaster relief operations due to the floods?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Kerala
On 9th August 2018, Operation “Madad” was launched by the Southern Naval Command (SNC) at Kochi, in Kerala, to assist the Kerala state administration and to carry out disaster relief operations due to the floods. Several parts of Kerala have been flooded due to continuous rainfall and release of excess water from Idukki and other dams. Naval helicopters are used for ferrying divers, power tools, axes and relief material to the flooded areas to speed up the relief operations.
- Where will the SCO Peace Mission Exercise 2018 be conducted from 22nd August to 29th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Russia
SCO Peace Mission Exercise is conducted as part of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) initiatives. It is conducted biennially for SCO member states. India is participating for the first time in the exercise after becoming a full member of the SCO in June 2017. The exercise consists of tactical level operations in an international counter insurgency or counter terrorism environment under SCO Charter. Indian contingent of 200 personnel for this exercise, mainly consist of troops from infantry and affiliated arms and services along with Indian Air Force.
- Which country has emerged as the top source of inward remittances, according to Reserve Bank of India’s survey of inward remittances for 2016-17?
1.United Arab Emirates (UAE)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.United Arab Emirates (UAE)
UAE’s share in total remittances was 26.9%. It is followed by the United States (22.9%), Saudi Arabia (11.6%), Qatar (6.5%) and Kuwait (5.5%).As per the survey, 82% of the total remittances received by India originated from 8 countries: UAE, the U.S., Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, the United Kingdom and Malaysia. Kerala has the highest share with 19%, among destinations. It is followed by Maharashtra (16.7%), Karnataka (15%), Tamil Nadu (8%) and Delhi (5.9%). Kerala, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu altogether received 58.7% of total remittances.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will transfer surplus amounting to _____ for the year ended June 30, 2018 to the Government of India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs.50,000 crore
On August 11, 2018, RBI announced that the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India, at its meeting held on August 8, 2018, approved the transfer of surplus amounting to Rs. 500 billion or Rs.50,000 crore for the year ended June 30, 2018 to the Government of India. As per the Budget Estimate, the government projected to collect Rs 54,817.25 crore as dividend or Surplus of Reserve Bank of India, Nationalised Banks and Financial Institutions. Also the RBI had paid interim dividend of Rs 10,000 crore to the government to support fiscal position in March. Earlier, the RBI made a dividend payout of Rs 30,659 crore for the fiscal ended June 2017 which is less than half of the amount paid in June 2016 (Rs 65,876 crore).
- DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance and Aditya Birla Health Insurance Co have partnered with which bank for bankassurance?
1.SVC Co-operative Bank Limited
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.SVC Co-operative Bank Limited
On August 11, 2018, Insurers DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance and Aditya Birla Health Insurance Co announced their bancassurance partnership with SVC Co-operative Bank Limited. It aims to offer easy access to simple life insurance products and strengthen the distribution network of DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance. Aditya Birla Health Insurance will market its retail and group products to all the customers of SVC bank. DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance will provide life insurance by offering customised products to the customers.
- Which firm has partnered with Uttar Pradesh government to provide support to MSME entrepreneurs across nine districts, as part of the One District One Product (ODOP) scheme?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Amazon
On August 11, 2018, as part of the One District One Product (ODOP) scheme, Amazon partnered with UP government to provide support MSME entrepreneurs across nine districts. This will be a part of Amazon India’s Kala Haat programme which aims to help traditional industries to enter in to ecommerce business. Under the programme, 300 MSME sellers registered under UP government’s ODOP scheme would be benefitted. Amazon would provide training, account management guidance, marketing tools and world-class infrastructure of storage and delivery network to these sellers.
- Who was appointed the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, on 11th August 2018?
1.Justice Vijaya Kamlesh Tahilramani
2.Justice Sumitra Ranga Rajan
3.Justice Thamarai Kannan
4.Justice Indu Kumari
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Justice Vijaya Kamlesh Tahilramani
On August 11, 2018, Justice Vijaya Kamlesh Tahilramani was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court. Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Prohit will administer the oath of office. She replaced Justice Indira Banerjee who has been appointed as Supreme Court judge. She obtained her law degree and became an advocate with the Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa in July 1982. She was appointed on the panel of defence lawyers in the Sessions Court.
- Who has become the first-ever woman Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court?
1.Justice Gita Mittal
2.Justice Preethi Reddy
3.Justice Kamila Jahan
4.Justice Ramya Menon
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Justice Gita Mittal
On August 11, 2018, Justice Gita Mittal became the first-ever woman Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court. Her oath was administered by Governor NN Vohra in Srinagar. She succeeded Ramalingam Sudhakar.
- Who was sworn-in as the 12th Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court, on 11th August 2018?
1.Justice Aniruddha Bose
2.Justice Ravindra Menon
3.Justice Samuel Thomson
4.Justice Anil Mathew
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Justice Aniruddha Bose
On August 11, 2018, Justice Aniruddha Bose took an oath as the 12th Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court. His oath was administered by Jharkhand governor Droupadi Murmu. He was an advocate of Bar Council of West Bengal in 1985. He practised in the Calcutta High Court and was elevated to the Bench in 2004.
- Who was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of Delhi High Court, on 11th August 2018?
1.Justice Rajendra Menon
2.Justice Pranesh Datchanamoorthy
3.Justice Kamaljith Singh
4.Justice Amarinder Singh
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Justice Rajendra Menon
On August 11, 2018, Justice Rajendra Menon was sworn in as Chief Justice of Delhi High Court. Delhi Lt Governor Anil Baijal administered the oath of office to Justice Menon. He was earlier the Chief Justice of Patna High Court. He had also served as a judge in the Gwalior Bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court.
- Who has been appointed the chairperson of National Commission for Women (NCW)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rekha Sharma
Rekha Sharma was previously a member of NCW. She was holding the additional charge of chairperson after Lalitha Kumaramangalam stepped down from the position in September 2017. Rekha Sharma is 54 years old. She hails from Haryana. Earlier, she was a member of District Consumer & Redressal Forum with the Haryana Government. She runs an event management center named ‘Chavi’. She has set up a registered NGO named ‘Haryana Mahila Uthan Samiti’ that works for the empowerment of rural women in Haryana.
- Who has been given two-year extension as chairperson of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)?
1.Ram Sewak Sharma
3.Pawan Kumar Singh
4.P K Singh
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Ram Sewak Sharma
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the reappointment of Ram Sewak Sharma as chairperson of TRAI for a further period of 2 years till 30th September 2020, that is the date on which he attains 65 years of age. In July 2015, he was appointed the Chairman of TRAI for a period of 3 years. He is a retired IAS officer of 1982 batch of Jharkhand cadre. Earlier, he had worked in several government departments involving IT-enabled programmes. He was also Director General and Mission Director of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) or Aadhaar.
- Name the deputy managing director of HDFC Bank who resigned from his post on 11th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Paresh Sukthankar
On August 11, 2018, Paresh Sukthankar, deputy managing director of HDFC Bank resigned from his post. He will be serving the 90-day notice period, effective from August 10. The 55-year-old deputy managing director has worked at HDFC Bank since its inception in 1994. He was appointed to the post of deputy managing director in March 2017. Currently, he is overseeing the banks’ credit and risk management departments and finance and human resources.
- Which digital payments major has acquired Balance Technology, a Bengaluru-based savings management start-up?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Paytm
On August 11, 2018, digital payments major Paytm acquired Bengaluru-based savings management start-up, Balance Technology, for an undisclosed amount. The transaction is expected to be about $2 million. This would enhance its user and merchant interfaces with customised and intuitive user experiences. A six-member team of Balance Technology has joined the product and design team.
- Who has written the Book ‘Bebak Baat’, that was released by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu on 9th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Vijay Goel
On 9th August 2018, Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu released the Book ‘Bebak Baat’ written by Vijay Goel, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Statistics & Programme Implementation, in New Delhi. Venkaiah Naidu said that, continuous communication between public representatives and the public is important for the development of our country.
- When was National Handloom Day celebrated all over India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.August 7
The National Handloom Day was launched in 2015. It marks the day on which Swadeshi movement was launched. The Swadeshi Movement was started on 7th August 1905. It celebrated India’s indigenous fabrics, weavers and artisans. Every year artisans and weavers are awarded ‘Sant Kabir’ awards to encourage their handiwork and Indian crafts.
- What will be the theme of Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit-2019, that will be held from 18th to 20th January 2019?
1.Moulding a New World
2.Shaping of a New India
3.New Horizons to Reach
4.Dream Big Achieve Great
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Shaping of a New India
The theme of Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit-2019 will be ‘Shaping of a New India’. It was decided at the first meeting of the Advisory Committee of the event. The summit is proposed to be held between January 18 and 20 next year.
- Who is writing the book named ‘The Book of Untold Stories’?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Manisha Koirala
Actress Manisha Koirala is writing her first book titled The Book of Untold Stories. She was diagnosed with cancer in 2012. The book is said to be based on her experience of surviving the illness.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the CEO and Headquarters of HDFC Bank?Answer – CEO – Aditya Puri; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Where is the headquarters of SVC Co-operative Bank Limited?Answer – Mumbai
- When was Reserve Bank of India (RBI) established?Answer – 1 April 1935
- Who is the secretary general of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) headquartered in Beijing, China?Answer – Rashid Alimov
- Who is the CEO of NITI Aayog?Answer – Amitabh Kant