AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs April 5 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On April 4, 2018, Union Cabinet approved the closure of loss making ___, a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE)?
1.Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited
2.Burn Standard Company Limited
3.Steel Authority of India Limited
4.National Thermal Power Corporation
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Burn Standard Company Limited
Cabinet approves closure of loss making Burn Standard Company Limited – a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE). Burn Standard Company Limited is a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under Union Ministry of Railways. The decision for closure has been taken on account of poor financial performance of the company for more than 10 years, despite financial assistance and other support provided by Government. Indian Government will provide one-time grant of Rs. 417.10 crore to Burn Standard Company Limited for severance package of employees and for clearing the current liabilities.
- On 4th April 2018, Union Cabinet approved rightsizing of which entity from One Chairperson and Six Members (totalling seven) to One Chairperson and Three Members (totalling four)?
1.Competition Commission of India (CCI)
2.Staff Selection Commission
4.University Grants Commission
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Competition Commission of India (CCI)
Union Cabinet has approved rightsizing the Competition Commission of India (CCI) from One Chairperson and Six Members (totalling seven) to One Chairperson and Three Members (totalling four). Presently CCI has a Chairperson and four Members. Rightsizing will be executed by not filling existing vacancies of two Members and one more additional vacancy, which is expected in September, 2018. This decision of rightsizing is in line with Governments objective of “Minimum Government – Maximum Governance”.
- On 4th April 2018, Union Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and United Arab Emirates on Technical Cooperation in ___ Sector?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Rail
Union Cabinet has been apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with the Federal Transport Authority – Land & Maritime of the United Arab Emirateson Technical Cooperation in Rail Sector. This MoU was signed on February 10, 2018. It envisages cooperation in the areas of regulation, safety and technical investigation of accidents, station redevelopment and any other area jointly identified by the parties to the MoU. Activities undertaken under the scope of this MoU will enable Indian Railways and UAE’s Federal Transport Authority to interact and share the latest developments and knowledge in the railway sector.
- On 4th April 2018, Union Cabinet approved a Cooperation Arrangement between India and which country for cooperation in the field of food safety and related areas?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Afghanistan
This Cooperation Arrangement will be between Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and Afghanistan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation & Livestock (MAIL). The arrangement envisages information sharing, training and capacity building measures and mutual learning of best practices to improve food safety ecosystem. The areas of cooperation also include technical exchange on import procedures, quality control operations, sampling, testing, packaging and labelling.
- Where was the Global Logistics Summit organised by the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, along with FICCI and the World Bank Group, held on 5th and 6th April 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.New Delhi
On 5th and 6th April 2018, Global Logistics Summit was held in New Delhi. The Global Logistics Summit was organised by the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, along with FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry) and the World Bank Group. The Summit acts as a platform to hold discussions for global experts, academics, government officials and private sector and industry representatives. Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu said that 56 new airports will be ready for operation in the next few years.
- On April 5, 2018, Union Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurated first flight from ____ to Pathankot (in Punjab) under UDAN scheme, at a ceremony held at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Delhi
On April 5, 2018, Union Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurated first flight from Delhi to Pathankot (in Punjab), at a ceremony held at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi. Pathankot airport has been opened by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) to improve regional connectivity as per the UDAN (‘Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik’) Scheme. It is the 21st airport in India, which has become operational for passengers. Civil Aviation Ministry launched Regional Connectivity Scheme ‘UDAN’ (‘Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik’) in October 2016. It aims at making flying a reality for common people residing in Tier-II and Tier-III towns by providing air connectivity to currently underserved and unserved airports. This scheme is implemented by Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) signed a MoU for promotion of outbound shipments among small and medium enterprises (SMEs), with which payments company on 5th April 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.PayPal
On April 5, 2018, digital payments company PayPal and the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for promotion of outbound shipments among small and medium enterprises (SMEs). As per the terms of the MoU, PayPal will work with FIEO to educate SMEs on how to leverage global opportunities, help them receive money in a safe and timely manner with PayPal products and inform them of global best practices. The programmes and seminars undertaken for this purpose will not only create awareness but will also address some commonly faced challenges by SMEs. Through activities carried out under the scope of this MoU, FIEO will be able to reach out to cottage industries, MSMEs, artisans and clusters, even in distant areas to develop their orientation towards exports. It has been observed that despite of global opportunities, Indian SMEs focus on domestic market owing to risks and complex procedures associated with operating in global marketplace.
- Where was the 34th annual session of FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) held on 5th April 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.New Delhi
On 5th April 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind addressed the 34th annual session of FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) in New Delhi. At the Annual session 10 Indian Women Achievers were presented the FLO ICON AWARDS. The award winners are:
• Banking & Finance – Ms Chanda Kochhar, MD & CEO, ICICI Bank
• Health & Wellness – Dr Aarti Vij, Chief of AIIMS’ Organ Retrieval and Banking Organization (ORBO)
• Media Entrepreneurship – Ms Ekta Kapoor, Joint Managing Director and Creative Director of Balaji Telefilms
• Conscientious Cinema – Ms Twinkle Khanna, Entrepreneur, Author, Film Producer
• Digital Entrepreneurship – Ms Falguni Nayar, Founder & CEO, NYKAA
• Science & Technology – Dr Tessy Thomas, Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
• Promoting Literature – Ms Namita Gokhale, Author and Director of Jaipur Literature Festival
• Environmental Protection – Ms Bharati Chaturvedi, Founder of CHINTAN, Environmentalist and writer
• Commando Training – Dr Seema Rao, Commando Trainer, certified Doctor and MBA in crisis management
• Grassroots Mobilization – Ms Kamal Kumbhar, Social entrepreneur & Founder of Ekta Producer Company
Pinky Reddy took charge as New President of FLO at the annual session.
- Chief Minister of which state launched a transformation campaign to improve the standard of education in the government schools of the state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 5.None of these; Uttarakhand
On 4th April 2018, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched a transformation campaign to improve the standard of education in the government schools of Uttarakhand. The main purpose of this campaign is to start smart classes in government schools and provide them with all basic facilities required by students like safe buildings, clean drinking water, furniture, fans, heaters, sports material and computers. Trivendra Singh Rawat said that one model school will be opened in Kumaon and another in Garhwal region to offer quality education to the poor and underprivileged children in classes 6 to 12. In Kumaon circle the model school will be opened in Almora. He asked the district administration to send a proposal about this to Uttarakhand state government after land is selected for the school.
- Name the online service provider that launched online income tax filing services for salaried individuals recently?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.IndiaFilings.com
IndiaFilings.com has launched online income tax filing services for salaried individuals. IndiaFilings’ online income tax filing service will help individuals and businesses file their income tax return using their platform. All income tax returns like ITR-1, ITR-2, ITR-3, ITR-4, ITR-5, ITR-6 and ITR-7 can be filed online using their platform directly. In order to prevent errors made by users while filing tax returns, intelligence and in-built algorithms have been incorporated in the platform. Apart from this self-serve platform, IndiaFilings also offers assisted tax return filing services for all class of taxpayers beginning from Rs.488. The assisted tax return filing service provides a dedicated tax advisor. The tax advisor will advise on tax savings, tax computation and tax filing.
- On 5th April 2018, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing and Urban Affairs ____ launched the modernisation of the Government Press?
1.Hardeep Singh Puri
3.Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Hardeep Singh Puri
On 5th April 2018, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri launched the modernisation of the Government Press. The Government Press serves both the Houses of Parliament during session for printing services. It also prints important gazette notifications, ordinances and budget related materials. The Government Press will be modernised with advanced technology and machineries after it is re-developed by the Central Public Works Department (CPWD). It will be made ready by 2020. Amount sanctioned for the total project is Rs 338.56 crore. Out of this Rs 100 crore has been allotted for plant and machineries.
- What is the rank of India in the most vulnerable countries list in terms of risk of cyber threats in 2017, as per the ‘Internet Security Threat Report’ presented by Symantec?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.3
India has been ranked the third most vulnerable country in terms of risk of cyber threats in 2017, as per the ‘Internet Security Threat Report’ presented by Symantec, a security solutions provider. In 2017, 5.09% of global threats detected were in India. India has moved one position up compared to 2016. U.S. has been ranked as the top most vulnerable country to such attacks with 26.61% attacks. It is followed by China in the second position with 10.95% attacks. This global threat ranking is based on eight factors: malware, spam, phishing, bots, network attacks, web attacks, ransomware and cryptominers. India continues to be second most affected country by spam and bots, third most affected country by network attacks, and fourth most affected country by ransomware, according to the report.
- On 4th April 2018, where was the tripartite summit between the presidents of Iran, Turkey and Russia that was aimed at speeding up the peace process for Syria and establishing their influence in Syria, held?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Turkey
On 4th April 2018, the presidents of Iran, Turkey and Russia met for their tripartite summit, aimed at speeding up the peace process for Syria and establishing their influence in Syria. The tripartite summit was hosted by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at his presidential palace in Ankara, Turkey. It was attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani. This is the second such tripartite summit. The first tripartite summit was hosted by Vladimir Putin in November 2017 in Sochi, Russia. Iran, Turkey and Russia have supported peace talks in Astana, Kazakhstan. They believe that it is a parallel process to support UN-supported discussions in Geneva.
- As per the First Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement for financial year 2018-19 announced by RBI on April 5, 2018, what is the current Repo Rate, Reverse Repo Rate and marginal standing facility (MSF) rate?
1. 6.00%, 5.75%, 6.25%
2.6.00%, 6.00%, 5.25%
3.6.25%, 6.00%, 5.75%
4.6.25%, 5.25%, 6.25%
5.None of theseAnswer – 1. 6.00%, 5.75%, 6.25%
On April 5, 2018, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced First Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement for financial year 2018-19. This time too, the Policy Repo Rate has been kept unchanged.
Post the First Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement announcement, the policy rates and reserve ratios are as follows:
Policy Repo Rate 6.00% Unchanged – since 2nd August 2017
Reverse Repo Rate 5.75% Unchanged – since 2nd August 2017
Marginal Standing Facility Rate 6.25% Unchanged – since 2nd August 2017
Bank Rate 6.25% Unchanged – since 2nd August 2017
Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) 4.00% Unchanged – since 9th February 2013
Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) 19.50% With Effect from 14th October 2017
- Which ride hailing service has introduced an in-trip insurance programme for all its customers in India starting at just Re 1?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Ola
Ola has introduced an in-trip insurance programme for all its customers in India starting at just Re 1. This in-trip insurance will cover for loss of belongings, missed flights, and medical expenses up to Rs 500,000 in case of an accident. This service is optional. It will be available on rides taken in cabs, auto rickshaws, kaali-peeli cabs and e-rickshaws through Ola. Ola has partnered with Acko General Insurance and ICICI Lombard General Insurance for this in-trip insurance programme. Initially this service will be available in metro cities. Later it will be launched in the 110 cities where Ola operates. Customers selecting rental and outstation rides on Ola will also be offered this service at a cost of Rs 10 and Rs 15 per ride respectively. Ola has become the first ride-hailing app to launch this kind of insurance service for customers in India. Customers can make insurance claims through the Ola app itself.
- Which country has surpassed Japan and has become the world’s second largest producer of crude steel in February 2018, according to Steel Users Federation of India (SUFI)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.India
India has surpassed Japan and has become the world’s second largest producer of crude steel in February 2018, according to Steel Users Federation of India (SUFI). China is the current largest producer of crude steel in the world. It contributes to more than 50% of steel production in the world. India’s crude steel production was up 4.4% with 93.11 million tonnes (MT) from April 2017 to February 2018, compared to April 2016 to February 2017. India has surpassed Japan and has become the second largest producer of crude steel in the world. Nikunj Turakhia, president of SUFI said that, India’s growth in steel production is due to the policies introduced by the government. According to the World Steel Association, India produced 8.4 MT of crude steel in February 2018, which is 3.4% more than February 2017.
- Who has been appointed as chief revenue officer of Myntra?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Mithun Sundar
Fashion retailer Myntra has appointed Mithun Sundar as its chief revenue officer. Mithun Sundar was PepsiCo India’s Head of Strategy. He will take charge as chief revenue officer of Myntra in June 2018. He will report directly to Chief Executive Officer Ananth Narayanan. He succeeds Naresh Krishnaswamy. Mithun Sundar has 13 years of experience in sales, marketing and strategy. Earlier he had worked with McKinsey and Unilever.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the new president of Sierra Leone?
2.Julius Maada Bio
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Julius Maada Bio
On 5th April 2018, Julius Maada Bio was elected the new President of Sierra Leone. On 5th April 2018, National Electoral Commission of Sierra Leone announced that Julius Maada Bio won the presidential elections with 51.8 percent votes. He belongs to the Sierra Leone People’s Party (SLPP). He defeated Samura Kamara. Samura Kamara was the candidate of All People’s Congress, which is the ruling party. The presidential elections were conducted on 31st March 2018. Julius Maada Bio succeeds Ernest Bai Koroma. Julius Maada Bio ruled Sierra Leone as the military head in 1996, along with former foreign affairs minister Kamara. Julius Maada Bio took oath as the new President of Sierra Leone on 5th April 2018.
- Virat Kohli has retained ____ position in the latest ICC Test Player Rankings that was released on 4th April 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.2nd
Virat Kohli has retained the second position in the latest ICC Test Player Rankings that was released on 4th April 2018. Virat Kohli has secured 912 points and obtained the second spot. Australian former captain Steve Smith has secured the top spot with 929 points. India’s Cheteshwar Pujara also retained his seventh position with 810 points. Also India’s Ajinkya Rahane and Lokesh Rahul have secured 18th and 11th spots respectively. Indian test spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has obtained fifth position with 803 points in the bowlers ranking. Ravindra Jadeja has obtained second position in the all-rounders ranking. South Africa’s Aiden Markram has secured ninth position in the batsmen ranking. New Zealand has surpassed Australia and secured third place in the ICC Test Team Rankings.
- Ray Wilkins who died after suffering from a cardiac arrest, at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, south-west London, on 4th April 2018, was a ___?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Footall player
On 4th April 2018, Ray Wilkins, ex-England midfielder, passed away after suffering from a cardiac arrest, at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, south-west London. Ray Wilkins was 61 years old. He had played 84 times for England from 1976 to 1986. He also served as a captain for 10 games. His nickname was “Butch.” He played for teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and AC Milan. He won the FA Cup in 1983 and the Scottish league title in 1989. He ended his club career in 1997. Later, he served as a commentator on British TV and radio.
- What is the theme of the 55th edition of National maritime Day that was celebrated all over India on 5th April 2018?
1.Enhancing opportunities in Indian maritime sector
2.Indian Shipping – An Ocean of opportunity
3.Indian Maritime – A Sea of opportunity
4.Indian Shipping – A Sea of opportunity
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Indian Shipping – An Ocean of opportunity
On 5th April 2018, the 55th edition of National maritime Day was celebrated all over India. National maritime Day is celebrated on 5th April every year since 1964. On 5th April 1919, SS Loyalty, the first ship of the Scindia Steam Navigation Company Ltd started from Mumbai to the United Kingdom. This is a very important day in the history of Indian maritime sector. The theme for National maritime Day 2018 is: ‘Indian Shipping – An Ocean of opportunity’. On the National maritime Day, awareness on supporting safe and environmentally strong commerce between continents is highlighted. ‘Varuna’ award is conferred to outstanding contributors of Indian maritime sector on this day. Also, outstanding achievers in the field of education and training are awarded on this day.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Kaziranga National Park located?Assam
- Name the president and headquarters of World Bank Group?President – Jim Yong Kim, Headquarters – Washington, DC
- Which state houses the Tilak Maidan Stadium?Goa
- Who is the president of Steel Users Federation of India (SUFI) located in Mumbai?Nikunj Turakhia
- Name the CEO of International Cricket Council (ICC) headquartered in Dubai?David Richardson