AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs April 17 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs March 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Who was appointed as the head of the Indo-Pacific Wing, which is set by Minister of External Affairs recently??
1) Vijay Gokhale
2) Sushma Swaraj
3) Vikram Doraiswami
4) Narendra Modi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Vikram Doraiswami
India has set up an Indo-Pacific division in Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). This division is the brainchild of current foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale. This new division is intended to give a coherent architecture to the policy, which was articulated by the PM Modi at the Shangri-La Dialogue in 2018. Currently, this division will be headed by join secretary Vikram Doraiswami, for whom it will be an additional charge apart from Bangladesh and Myanmar. The territorial divisions of External Affairs ministry are crucial for policy making, so the creation of an Indo-Pacific division is a mammoth step by the government.
- What is the name of the Bilateral Navy exercise that was held between India and Vietnam in Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam?
1) IN–VPN BILAT EX
2) IND-VTNM BILAT NAVY EX
3) IND-VTNM EX
4) IND-VTNM BILAT EX
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) IN–VPN BILAT EX
The Indian Navy held the 2nd edition of the bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and Vietnam Peoples’ Navy, (IN – VPN BILAT EX) at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam during 13th to 16th April, 2019.The exercise was undertaken as a part of the ongoing Overseas Deployment of Eastern Fleet ships to South East Asian countries.INS Kolkata under the command of Captain Aditya Hara and INS Shakti under the command of Captain Sriram Amur participated in the exercise.
- Where was the Debrief of Indian Navy coastal defence exercise “Sea Vigil”, chaired by Vice Admiral MS Pawar held?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) New Delhi
On 16th April, 2019, the debrief of the Indian Navy exercise termed as ‘Sea Vigil’ (held from January 22 to 23) was conducted. The meeting was chaired by Vice Admiral MS Pawar, AVSM, VSM, the Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff (DCNS). It was conducted at the Naval headquarters, New Delhi.After the 26/11 Mumbai attack in 2008, Sea Vigil became the very 1st national-level coastal defence exercise conducted by the Indian Navy. In this exercise, it involved naval stakeholders at the centre and all 13 coastal states and union territories.The meeting was conducted for the National Committee for Strengthening Maritime and Coastal Security (NCSMCS).
- Which is the first Public Sector Bank in India that has shifted to EMV chip and PIN for card based transactions across the country’s vast ATM network?
1) Indian Bank
2) Canara Bank
3) Bank of Baroda
4) State Bank of India
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Canara Bank
Global provider of real-time electronic payment and banking solutions, ACI Worldwide, notified that India’s public sector bank, Canara Bank has successfully rolled out new functionality that supports EMV (Europay, MasterCard and Visa) card acquiring across its ATM (Automated Teller Machine) network and Aadhaar Authentication, thus becoming the 1st in the market to leverage ACI’s UP Retail Payments solution and the 1st public sector bank to shift to EMV chip and PIN for card based transactions across the country’s vast ATM network.The functionality developed by ACI and Canara Bank also fastens the process of Aadhaar number linking, which in turn eases KYC (Know Your Customer) compliance at the bank’s branches.
- Name the quasi-cryptocurrency, launched by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for better understanding of blockchain technology and the function of crypto assets.
4) Learning Coin
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Learning Coin
On 13th April 2019, Two international financial institutions the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) have launched a private blockchain and quasi-crypto currency called as “Learning Coin” for better understanding of blockchain technology and the function of crypto assets. This news was published via a Financial Times report.The asset will only be available for use within the IMF and the World Bank. It has no monetary value, means it is not a true cryptocurrency.
- Which denomination of note under Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series was issued by RBI recently with Shaktikanta Das’s signature?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rs.50
On 16th April 2019, The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued Rs. 50 denomination banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series that bore Shri Shaktikanta Das’ (Governor of RBI) signature. i.The design of these notes is exactly similar to the ‘Rs 50 banknotes’ in Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series. ii.The RBI notified that all bank notes in the denomination of Rs. 50 issued by the Central Bank in the past will continue to be legal tender.The dimension of the Rs. 50 banknote is 66 mm x 135 mm.On the frontal side, the numeral ’50’ is written in the Devanagari script along with Mahatma Gandhi’s portrait in the centre.A small design of the denominational numeral ’50’ is printed on the front and back sides of the note, in the middle of the vertical band next to the watermark. It has a correct back-to-back registration and, according to the RBI, the design appears as one when seen against the light.
- Name the Public sector bank, which has partnered with M1Xchange TReDS platform for MSMEs bill discounting.
1) State Bank of India
2) Bank of Maharashtra
3) Central Bank of India
4) Bank of Baroda
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bank of Maharashtra
State-owned Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has partnered with M1Xchange TReDSplatform for Micro,Small and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs) bill discounting.Trade Receivables Discounting System (TreDS) is a digital platform to assist MSMEs to get their bills financed at a competitive rate through a vendue where multiple registered financiers can participate.TreDS platform is run by Mynd Solutions, a technology management firm. BoM is now on-boarded as financier on Mynd Solutions.TReDS platform will facilitate shortening of payment cycle and the smooth flow of liquidity and ensure that MSMEs do not miss out on business opportunities due to shortage of funds.
- Which financial services app has become first in India to integrate with Unified Payment Interface(UPI)?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) ETMONEY
ETMONEY India’s largest app for financial services has integrated with UPI as a payment method. The reason for this is to double its monthly user base by the end of 2019. This integration will simplify the mutual fund payment for millions of ETMONEY users.Now ETMONEY users can make payment easily by using UPI option on the payment page. They can select different UPI-enabled apps like Google Pay, BHIM UPI, PhonePe among others.They only have to enter valid UPI ID and can make the payment instantly within a few seconds. In addition to this, ETMONEY users can use Netbanking and Debit Card for payments.
- A Team from which institute has won the ”AIAA Neil Armstrong Best Design Award” in NASA’s Annual Human Exploration Rover challenge 2019 ?
1) KIET Group of Institutions
2) Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering
3) Lovely Professional University
4) Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Mumbai
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) KIET Group of Institutions
NASA has awarded three teams of Indian students in its 25th Annual Human Exploration Rover challenge 2019 at the US Space and Rocket Centre in Huntsville, Alabama.The program invites college students and high school students to develop and test roving vehicles for future missions to the Mars,Moon and beyond. “AIAA Neil Armstrong Best Design Award” won by team from KIET Group of Institutions in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.Team from Lovely Professional University in Phagwara, Punjab, received “STEM Engagement Award”.The Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering, Mumbai, Maharashtra, received the “Frank Joe Sexton Memorial Pit Crew Award” and also won the System Safety Challenge Award at the competition hosted by NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.
- Name the first Indian,who was inducted into the National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC) of US recently.
1) Prashant Joshi
2) Sanjay Kumar
4) Anamika Das
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sanjay Kumar
The US Department of Interior inducted its very first Indian, Delhi-based Sanjay Kumar, CEO of Geospatial Media and Communications and Secretary General of World Geospatial Industry Council (WGIC), to its prestigious National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC).In November, 2018, Sanjay Kumar was honoured with the Global Geospatial Industry Ambassador award by the United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM). Kumar first joined the committee as a representative of the WGIC.
- Which bank has got the approval from Competition Commission of India (CCI) for the acquisition of Gruh Finance, an arm of HDFC?
1) Karnataka Bank
2) DCB Bank
3) Bandhan Bank
4) RBL Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bandhan Bank
On 16th April 2019, Kolkata-based Bandhan Bank has received the approval of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for the acquisition of Gruh Finance which is the affordable housing finance arm of HDFC Ltd in a share-swap deal. The approval has been given under the sub-section (1) of Section 31 of the Competition Act, 2002. Bandhan Bank has transferred 14.9 percent stake to HDFC for this acquisition.For this merger, the shareholding of Bandhan Financial Holdings came down to about 61 percent from about 82 percent, and HDFC held around 15 percent in the merged entity from about 57 percent in Gruh Finance.
- Name the space ageny, that is set to launch the first-ever “Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART)” mission to redirect an asteroid in 2021.
1) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
2) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
3) China National Space Administration (CNSA)
4) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
SpaceX, a private Aerospace company, will provide launch services for NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) mission, the first-ever mission to redirect an asteroid. DART mission, $69 million contract, will blast off aboard a Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California in June 2021.In October 2022, the spacecraft will smash into “Didymoon,” the 540-foot-wide (165 meters) satellite of Didymos,a near-Earth asteroid.If all goes with no trouble, the observation about the collision will help researchers to evaluate the kinetic impactor strategy of hazardous-asteroid deflection.
- What is the name of the third transiting planet in the Kepler-47 Circumbinary System discovered by astronomers from San Diego State University?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Kepler-47d
A group of researchers, led by astronomers at San Diego State University, by using data from NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope, detected the new Neptune-to-Saturn size planet orbiting between two previously known planets Kepler-47b and Kepler-47c. This new planet named as Kepler-47d. The research was recently published in the Astronomical Journal.According to a new study, Kepler-47d is about seven times larger than Earth and also the largest of the three planets in the Kepler-47 circumbinary system. The Kepler-47 system is approximately 3.5 billion-years-old and it is 3,340 light years away in the direction of the constellation Cygnus.
- Name the Indian origin student, who was appointed to lead the team of CubeSat BLAST, a mini research satellite to be sent to space to detect cosmic rays.
1) Avnish Agarwal
2) Rajeev Varshney
3) Keshav Raghvan
4) Surendra Adhikari
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Keshav Raghvan
On 15th April 2019, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has chosen a team led by an Indian American student, Keshav Raghvan to have its CubeSat which is a mini research satellite to be sent to space to detect cosmic rays.21 year old Keshav Raghavan, led the researchers from the Yale Undergraduate Aerospace Association (YUAA) which is among the 16 teams across the country whose CubeSats will be flown into space on missions planned to launch in 2020, 2021 and 2022. The team’s CubeSat BLAST (Bouchet Low-Earth Alpha/Beta Space Telescope) is named after physicist Edward A Bouchet who was the first African American to receive a Ph.D. in America.
- Gelete Burka won the 43rd edition of the Paris Marathon in women’s category, she is from which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ethiopia
Ethiopian athletes Gelete Burka in women’s race and Abrha Milaw in men’s race have won the 43rd edition of the Paris Marathon by leading a record of 60,000 participants through the French capital, Paris on 14th April, 2019. Abrha Milaw won the men’s race with a time of 2:07:50.Gelete Burka was the fastest woman with a time of 2:22:48.
- When was Mahaveer Janma Kalyanak celebrated?
1) April 14
2) April 15
3) April 16
4) April 17
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) April 17
On 17th April 2019, Jain community celebrated Mahavir Jayanti or Mahaveer Janma Kalyanak, or the Birth Anniversary of Vardhamana Mahavira in memory of Lord Mahavira. Mahavir Jayanti is observed on the 13th day of the bright half of the moon in the month of Chaitra as per the Hindu Calendar.Mahavira, 24th and the last, Tirthankara, spiritual teacher in Jainism was born in Ahalyabhumi and belonged to the Ikshvaku dynasty.As a part of celebrations, the statues of lord Mahavira were given a ceremonial bath called abhisheka to carry out a procession, Rath Yatra, with his idol.
- What was the theme of the World Haemophilia Day 2019?
1) Theme – ‘Outreach and Identification’
2) Theme – ‘Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging’
3) Theme – ‘I Am and I Will’
4) Theme – ‘Bridging health and social care’
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Theme – ‘Outreach and Identification’
17th April, 2019 has marked the 30th World Hemophilia Day. World Haemophilia Day was started in 1989 by the World Federation of Hemophilia (WFH) which chose to bring the community together on April 17 in honour of WFH founder Frank Schnabel’s birthday.The theme of this year’s World Hemophilia Day is ‘Outreach and Identification’.The day was observed with the slogan – ‘Reaching Out: The First Step to Care’.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- When was Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) established?7 March 1997.
- What is the Capital and Currency of France?Capital: Paris & Currency: Euro, CFP franc
- Who is the Administrator of NASA?Jim Bridenstine
- Where is the headquarter of Bandhan Bank located?Kolkata, West Bengal
- When was Bank of Maharashtra founded?1935