AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs April 17 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
Click Here to Read Current Affairs April 17 2018
- Government of India has decided to issue Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19 – Series-I. These bonds will be issued by Reserve Bank India (RBI) on behalf of the Government of India. What is the issue price of these bonds?
1.Rs. 3245 per gram
2.Rs. 3114 per gram
3.Rs. 3056 per gram
4.Rs. 3119 per gram
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs. 3114 per gram
Government of India has decided to issue Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19 – Series-I. These bonds will be issued by Reserve Bank India (RBI) on behalf of the Government of India.
Subscription Date: April 16, 2018 to April 20, 2018. Bond Certificate will be issued on May 4, 2018
Denomination: 1 gm multiples
Issue Price: Rs. 3114 per gram. The issue price is the simple average of closing price of gold of 999 purity published by the India Bullion and Jewellers Association Limited for the last 3 business days of the week preceding the subscription period. Discount of Rs. 50 per gm for those who subscribe online and pay through digital mode.
Tenure: 8 years
Interest Rate: 2.50% per annum, payable every 6 months.
Exit Option: From 5th year onwards, to be exercised on interest payment dates
Minimum Size: 1 gm
Maximum Limit: 4 KG for individual, 4 Kg for HUF and 20 Kg for trusts and similar entities per fiscal (April-March) notified by the Government from time to time.
Sold By: Banks, Post Offices, Stock Holding Corporation of India (SHCIL), National Stock Exchange (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
- Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations has designated how many new sites as Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) since 2016?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.14
Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations has designated 14 new sites as Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) since 2016. These systems highlight agricultural traditions that promote sustainability, protect biodiversity and the environment and support the social and economic development required for stable, decent livelihoods. The 14 new sites are wide ranged from oases to rice terraces, wasabi cultivation to raisin production. These places have shaped landscapes into works of art. They have protected sustainable ways of living and producing food.
The 14 new sites are:
• Siwa Oasis, Egypt, 2016
• Chinampa Agriculture in the World Natural and Cultural Heritage Zone in Xochimilco, Tláhuac and Milpa Alta, Mexico, 2017
• Zhagana Agriculture -Forest-Animal Husbandry Composite System, China, 2017
• Huzhou Mulberry-dyke & Fish Pond System, China, 2017
• Osaki Kodo’s Traditional Water Management System for Sustainable Paddy Agriculture, Japan, 2017
• Nishi-Awa Steep Slope Land Agriculture System, Japan, 2018
• Traditional Hadong Tea Agrosystem in Hwagae-myeon, Republic of Korea, 2017
• The Agricultural System of Valle Salado de Añana, Spain, 2017
• Malaga Raisin Production System in La Axarquía, Spain, 2017
• The Cascaded Tank-Village System, Sri Lanka, 2017
• Rice Terraces in Southern Mountainous and Hilly Areas, China, 2018
• Xiajin Yellow River Old Course Ancient Mulberry Grove System, China, 2018
• Traditional Wasabi Cultivation in Shizuoka, Japan, 2018
• Barroso Agro-sylvo-pastoral System, Portugal, 2018
- On April 16, 2018, TRAI unveiled the beta version of a website that contains information about mobile tariffs of all operators for all service areas. What does ‘A’ represent in TRAI?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Authority
On April 16, 2018, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) unveiled the beta version of a website that contains information about mobile tariffs of all operators for all service areas. Objective behind unveiling this portal is to allow users to compare tariffs of different telecom operators and thereby enhance transparency in the industry. The beta portal which has been unveiled provides information about regular tariffs, special tariff vouchers, value-added service packs and promotional tariffs. Currently, the beta portal has been launched for the Delhi circle. TRAI will seek feedback from users after 15 days. Users can offer their comments on parameters that have been considered for tariff comparison. Once it is rolled out across India, this portal would not only benefit the consumers but will also help telecom operators to do a comparative analysis.
- On April 17, 2018, Union Commerce and Industry Minister, Suresh Prabhu launched Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO’s) ____, a digital platform for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Exporters?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.GlobalLinker
On April 17, 2018, Union Commerce and Industry Minister, Suresh Prabhu launched Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO’s) GlobalLinker, a digital platform for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Exporters. FIEO GlobalLinker is a growing global network, which currently comprises over 140000 SME firms. These firms use their electronic business card and digital profiles created on the platform to seek growth opportunities through business collaboration. Through this platform MSME exporters can digitise their businesses and thus join a global community of growing businesses. By using FIEO GlobalLinker search and review facilities, exporters can find clients, suppliers and advisors. Through this platform, exporters can even creating a free e-commerce store for direct sales and improved chain management. In addition to above features, the platform also hosts business articles and industry news, through which, exporters can update their knowledge.
- On April 15, 2018, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated a 2.5-km-long bridge built over which river in Sambalpur district?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Ib
On April 15, 2018, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated a 2.5-km-long bridge built over the Ib river in Sambalpur district. This is Odisha’s second longest bridge and has been built at a cost of Rs. 117.50 crore. The bridge has enabled direct road connectivity between Sambalpur and Brajarajnagar in Jharsuguda district. By Commuting through this bridge, distance between these two places is reduced by 50 km.
- Union Minister for Civil Aviation said that, Central government along with state government and private partners is working to promote Goa as a tourism destination and a cargo hub. Name the Union Minister for Civil Aviation?
2.Narendra Singh Tomar
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Suresh Prabhu
Union Minister for Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu said that, Central government along with state government and private partners is working to promote Goa as a tourism destination and a cargo hub. Suresh Prabhu said this when he addressed media persons at Dabolim Airport, Goa, after inspection of the renovation work. He said that, Mopa airport will start operations by September 2020. Dabolim Airport will continue to operate along with Mopa Airport. At Dabolim airport, renovation work worth Rs 300 crore is being done. New multi-layer parking complex will start operation by July 2018. Also, at the Dabolim airport, one counter will be allocated to Goa Tourism Department to operate taxi services. Another counter will be allocated to the Goa state government for sale of local products, souvenirs, and vegetables. He said that, transportation of cargo will help farmers to access international market. Also, when Goa gets two airports, passenger handling capacity will increase to 3 crores. He said that, under the Skill Development and Startup India initiative, Civil Aviation Ministry is in discussion with World Bank and other major institutions to promote Goa as a market destination.
- A MoU was signed between _____ of India, and the Groupement des Industries Françaises Aeronautiques et Spatiales (GIFAS), France, to promote a sustainable framework for present and future partnerships and cooperative actions between the French aerospace industry and the Indian defence industry?
1.Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO)
2.Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM)
3.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
4.Indian Coast Guard (ICG)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM)
A MoU was signed between the Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM), India, and the Groupement des Industries Françaises Aeronautiques et Spatiales (GIFAS), France, to promote a sustainable framework for present and future partnerships and cooperative actions between the French aerospace industry and the Indian defence industry. The MoU was signed during a major industrial mission in India in the aerospace and defence sector, which was organised by GIFAS with the support of SIDM from 16th April to 19th April 2018. The MoU was signed by Pierre Bourlot, managing director of GIFAS and Lt Gen Subrata Saha, director general of SIDM. This agreement will work on expanding trade, through better economic and industrial cooperation between France and India and towards export customers. It will enable implementation of various measures to promote a mutually beneficial cooperation in aerospace and defence manufacturing, research and technology, human capital, engineering services, systems integration. The cooperation will focus on five axes of common interest. They are:
• The development of business opportunities between members of GIFAS and SIDM
• Training and human capital development
• Research and technology
• Aerospace Industry Policy and Business Environment
• International Trade Issues
- On 16th April 2018, a loan agreement worth USD 48 million for the “Meghalaya Community – Led Landscapes Management Project (MCLLMP)” was signed between India and which bank?
2.Asian Development Bank (ADB)
3.Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
4.European Investment Bank
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.World Bank
On 16th April 2018, a loan agreement worth USD 48 million for the “Meghalaya Community – Led Landscapes Management Project (MCLLMP)” was signed by India and the World Bank, in New Delhi. The objective of this project is to enhance community-led landscapes management in selected landscapes in Meghalaya. The project has three components:
• strengthening knowledge and capacity for natural resource management
• community-led landscape planning and implementation
• project management and governance
It will help in managing the depleting natural resources like land, water sources, and forests by strengthening the communities and traditional institutions. This will increase water for local communities and improve the soil productivity, resulting in increased incomes and lesser poverty. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) loan agreement was signed by Sameer Kumar Khare, Joint Secretary (MI), Department of Economic Affairs on behalf of India. Hisham A Abdo Kahin, Acting Country Director, World Bank (India) signed it on behalf of the World Bank. Also, a project agreement was also signed by P. Sampath Kumar, Commissioner and Secretary to the Government of Meghalaya and CEO, Meghalaya Basin Development Authority (MBDA) and Hisham A Abdo Kahin, Acting Country Director, World Bank (India). The closing date for the above project is 30th June 2023.
- Which ministry recently notified the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules 2018?
1.Union Ministry of Science and Technology
2.Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry
3.Union Ministry of Renewable Energy
4.Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has notified the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules 2018. The amended Rules state that, the phasing out of Multilayered Plastic (MLP) is now applicable to MLP that are non-recyclable, or non-energy recoverable, or with no alternate use. The amended Rules state that:
• a central registration system for the registration of the producer/importer/brand owner is prescribed
• any mechanism for the registration should be automated and should take into account ease of doing business for producers, recyclers and manufacturers
• the centralised registration system will be developed by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) for the registration of the producer/importer/brand owner
• a national registry is prescribed for producers with presence in more than two states
• a state-level registration has been prescribed for smaller producers/brand owners operating within one or two states
Rule 15 of the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules 2018 on “explicit pricing of carry bags” has been omitted. The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change had formed a committee to study the issues faced in implementation of Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 and Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016. The committee had submitted its recommendations. The Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2018, was notified by the ministry on 27th March 2018.
- Where was the India-Wiesbaden Conference 2018 held on 16th and 17th April 2018?
3.New York, United States
4.New Delhi, India
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.New Delhi, India
On 16th and 17th April 2018, the India-Wiesbaden Conference 2018 was held at the Federation House, Tansen Marg, New Delhi. The India-Wiesbaden Conference 2018 was hosted by the Ministry of External Affairs, India, along with the Government of Germany and the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA). Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) was the industry partner for the event. Title of the Conference: The Title of the Conference is ‘Securing Global Supply Chains through Government-Industry Partnerships towards Effective Implementation of UNSC Resolution 1540’. The Conference saw participation from representatives of Government and Industry of 39 countries, and experts from the UNSC 1540 Committee and UN Office for Disarmament Affairs in New York. The Conference offered an opportunity to share experiences on export control systems for the participants and to identify legal and technical assistance, action plans and challenges in national level implementation of UNSC 1540. The UN Security Council Resolution 1540 (2004) establishes legally binding obligations on all States to adopt and implement measures to prevent the proliferation to non-State actors of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and their delivery systems.
- Bisket Jatra celebration began in ____ on April 14, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Bhaktapur, Nepal
Bisket Jatra celebration began in Bhaktapur, Nepal on April 14, 2018. Bisket Jatra is a nine-day festival, celebrated annually to welcome the spring and the Nepalese New Year. The Jatra begins four days before the start of new year. It is believed that the festival started during Malla dynasty, that ruled Kathmandu from 1201–1769 AD. As a part of celebration, people of upper and lower part of Bhaktpur engage in a tug of war to pull a three-storey chariot of Lord Bhairavanath on their side. This is the main attraction of Bisket Jatra.
- On April 17, 2018, which Indian Bank announced that it has on-boarded over 250 corporates on its blockchain platform for domestic and international trade finance?
4.State Bank of India
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.ICICI Bank
On April 17, 2018, India’s largest private sector bank, ICICI Bank announced that it has on-boarded over 250 corporates on its blockchain platform for domestic and international trade finance. In August 2016, ICICI Bank became the first bank in India to successfully undertake pilot transactions on its blockchain platform for international trade finance. Since then, more than 250 Indian corporate, including the leading ones are now undertaking domestic/international trade finance transactions on this platform. ICICI Bank’s blockchain platform digitises the paper-intensive international trade finance process as an electronic, distributed and unalterable ledger, which is accessible to all the participating entities including banks. This is not just more time and cost efficient but also a secure way of undertaking domestic and international trade transactions.
- What was the official motto for the 2018 Commonwealth Games held in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, between 4 and 15 April 2018?
1.Dream High as the stars
2.Share the Dream
3.Reach the stars
4.Set new highs
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Share the Dream
Motto:The official motto for the 2018 Commonwealth Games was “Share the Dream”. It was chosen to highlight the dreams and experience at the games that were shared by participants of the games, ranging from athletes to volunteers and the host country Australia to the world including the Commonwealth nations.
Emblem:The emblem of the 2018 Commonwealth Games was a silhouette of the skyline and landscape of Gold Coast, the host city of the games.
Mascot: Borobi was named as the mascot of the 2018 Commonwealth Games in 2016. Borobi is a blue koala, with indigenous markings on its body. The term “borobi” means koala in the Yugambeh language, spoken by the indigenous Yugambeh people of the Gold Coast and surrounding areas.
- In which sport did India win the highest number of medals in the 2018 Commonwealth Games held in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, between 4 and 15 April 2018?
1.Swimming – 14 medals
2.Shooting – 16 medals
3.Table Tennis – 13 medals
4.Badminton – 11 medals
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Shooting – 16 medals
Event Gold Silver Bronze Total Rank Shooting 7 4 5 16 1 Wrestling 5 3 4 12 1 Weightlifting 5 2 2 9 1 Boxing 3 3 3 9 2 Table Tennis 3 2 3 8 1 Badminton 2 3 1 6 1 Athletics 1 1 1 3 14 Squash 0 2 0 2 4 Para Powerlifting 0 0 1 1 4
- Name the Indian Shooter who created history by becoming the country’s youngest gold medal winner in Common Wealth Games 2018?
2.Venkat Rahul Ragala
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Anish Bhanwala
India won the most highest number of medals in Shooting.This became possible after the emergence of Young Indian Shooter like Anish Bhanwala Aged 15,who created history by becoming the country’s youngest gold medal winner in Common Wealth Games.He registered a total score of 30,a new Games record. In women’s table tennis event,the Indian team won its gold medal which is the first ever gold medal in the commonwealth Games. Ace Tennis player Manika Batra Won medal in each event she participated(Women’s team, Women’s singles, Women’s doubles,Mixed doubles).She became the first women Singles gold medal winner in CWG. Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu,Won the First Gold Medal in Women’s 48 kg in the CommonWealth Games and broke the records in the ‘Snatch’ section,the ‘Clean & Jerk’ and the overall games record. Following her weightlifter Deepak Lather from Haryana became the youngest Weightlifter to claim a commonwealth Games medal,clinching a Bronze in men’s 69kg Category. Weightlifter Venkat Rahul Ragala is the first Indian to win Gold medal in the 85kg Category in the Common Wealth Games. Neeraj Chopra,aged 20 years who was the former Junior World Champion won Gold medal. Neeraj thus became the first Gold medal winner & the second javelin thrower from India to claim a CWG medal — the first being Kashinath Naik, who fetched a bronze in the 2010 Delhi Games. Saina Nehwal became the first Indian to win two singles golds at the games after defeating P.V.Sindhu.With this win Saina, ranked 12th in the world. The Gold Medal won by India’s Mixed Badminton team is the country’s first Medal in that Category at the Commonwealth Games.
- 102nd edition of Pulitzer Prizes for achievements in journalism, literature and musical composition were announced on April 16, 2018. Which novel has won the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for fiction?
3.Locking Up Our Own
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Less
The prestigious Pulitzer Prizes for achievements in journalism, literature and musical composition were announced on April 16, 2018. This was the 102nd edition of Pulitzer Prizes.
Category Winners Fiction Less, by Andrew Sean Greer Drama Cost of Living, by Martyna Majok Poetry Half-light: Collected Poems 1965-2016, by Frank Bidart History The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea, by Jack E. Davis General Nonfiction Locking Up Our Own: Crime and Punishment in Black America, by James Forman Jr. Biography Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder, by Caroline Frase Music DAMN, by Kendrick Lamar
Winners of 2018 Pulitzer Prize – Journalism:
The coveted Pulitzer Prize in Public Service category went to The New York Times and The New Yorker for their revelations of sexual harassment and abuse in Hollywood.
Category Winners Public Service The New York Times, for reporting led by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, and The New Yorker, for reporting by Ronan Farrow Breaking News Reporting Staff of The Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, California Investigative Reporting Staff of The Washington Post Explanatory Reporting Staffs of The Arizona Republic and USA Today Network Local Reporting The Cincinnati Enquirer Staff National Reporting Staffs of The New York Times and The Washington Post International Reporting Clare Baldwin, Andrew R.C. Marshall and Manuel Mogato of Reuters Feature Writing Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah, freelance reporter, GQ Commentary John Archibald of Alabama Media Group, Birmingham, Alabama Criticism Jerry Saltz of New York magazine Editorial Writing Andie Dominick of The Des Moines Register Editorial Cartooning Jake Halpern, freelance writer, and Michael Sloan, freelance cartoonist, The New York Times Breaking News Photography Ryan Kelly of The Daily Progress, Charlottesville, Virginia Feature Photography Photography Staff of Reuters
- Name the person who has become the first rapper to win a Pulitzer Prize for music?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Kendrick Lamar
- Which actress has been chosen for the Dada Saheb Phalke excellence award 2018 for the Best Leading Lady (Critics Award)?
3.Aditi Rao Hydari
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Aditi Rao Hydari
Aditi Rao Hydari will be awarded the Dada Saheb Phalke excellence award 2018 for the Best Leading Lady (Critics Award) for her performance in the Bollywood movie ‘Bhoomi’. The film ‘Bhoomi’ also featured actor Sanjay Dutt. The story revolved around a protective father who saved his daughter from all evils surrounding her. The award ceremony will be held on 21st April 2018, at St. Andrews Auditorium in Mumbai. The event will see participation from producers, directors, distributors, exhibitors etc.
- Scientists in Britain and the United States have discovered ____ an enzyme that can digest some commonly polluting plastics?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.PETase
Scientists in Britain and the United States have discovered “PETase” an enzyme that can digest some commonly polluting plastics. PET (polyethylene terephthalate) is a strong plastic that is commonly used in bottles. It takes hundreds of years to break down in the environment. The discovery was made by researchers from Britain’s University of Portsmouth and the US Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). The findings were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The discovery was made in Japan. Ideonella sakaiensis 201-F6 is a bacterium that uses the plastic as its major energy source. PETase is secreted by Ideonella sakaiensis 201-F6 to digest plastic. The enzyme is able to digest PET (polyethylene terephthalate).
- Name the Indian Tennis Player who has entered into the top-100 ATP men’s singles ranking with a rank of rank 83, for the first time since February 2016?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Yuki Bhambri
On 16th April 2018, Yuki Bhambri entered into the top-100 ATP men’s singles ranking with a rank of rank 83, for the first time since February 2016. Yuki Bhambri has improved 22 places and has reached rank 83, which is considered his career best. This is the best rank an Indian has obtained in ATP singles ranking, after Somdev Devvarman reached rank 62 in 2011. Ramkumar Ramanathan has reached his career-best rank of 116. He was Yuki Bhambri’s Davis cup teammate. Sumit Nagal has been ranked 215. He is followed by Prajnesh Gunneswaran at 266 and Arjun Kadhe at 394. Divij Sharan has improved to rank 41. Leander Paes has secured 49th position. Rohan Bopanna is at rank 19. Ankita Raina has secured 194th rank. Karman Kaur Thandi is at 268th rank. Sania Mirza remains at 24th rank in the women’s ranking.
- What is the theme of World Haemophilia Day 2018 that was observed on 17th April 2018?
1.Better Diagnosis Better Life
2.Prevention makes life better
3.Sharing Knowledge Makes Us Stronger
4.Building strength for Haemophilia patients
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Sharing Knowledge Makes Us Stronger
On 17th April 2018, World Haemophilia Day was observed all over the world. Every year 17th April is observed as World Haemophilia Day throughout the world to create awareness about haemophilia and other inherited bleeding disorders. In 1989, World Haemophilia Day was started by the World Federation of Hemophilia (WFH). This day was chosen to honour WFH founder Frank Schnabel’s birthday. The theme for World Haemophilia Day 2018 is: Sharing Knowledge Makes Us Stronger. 17th April 2018 is the 28th World Hemophilia Day. Various monuments across the world, changed its lighting to red on 17th April 2018 to offer its support to World Haemophilia Day. World Heritage Site Qutub Minar in Delhi, India was also lit up with red lights.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Kirti Mandir museum located?Porbandar, Gujarat
- What is the tag line of ICICI Bank?‘hum hai na’, ‘khayaal aapka’
- Which state houses the Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary?Goa
- Name the Chairman and headquarters of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)?Current Chairman – R S Sharma; Headquarters – New Delhi
- Who is the director general of Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations headquartered in Rome, Italy?José Graziano da Silva
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification