AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 9 October 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Union Cabinet approves memorandum of cooperation in the field of cybersecurity between India and which country?
3) United States
5) IsraelAnswer- 2) Japan
Union Cabinet approved signing of Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) in the field of cybersecurity between India and Japan. It is aimed at enhancing cooperation in emerging technologies, protection of critical infrastructure, cyberspace and to mitigate threats to communication networks. It also affirms cooperation in the international arena including in the United Nations (UN).
- The Union cabinet approves MoU regarding DNA Barcoding between Zoological Survey of India and International Barcode of Life (iBOL) of ‘which’ country?
5) CanadaAnswer-5) Canada
The Central Government has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in June, 2020 between Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), a subordinate organization under Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and International Barcode of Life (iBOL), a Canadian not-for-profit corporation to further work towards DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) barcoding. The MoU will enable ZSI to participate at the Global level programmes like Bioscan and Planetary Biodiversity Mission.
- India’s 1st transportation tunnel (underwater) will be constructed below which river?
5) NarmadaAnswer-3) Hooghly
The Central Government has approved the revised cost estimates for construction of Kolkata East West Corridor project as per the realigned route. Now the estimated completion cost of the project is Rs. 8575 crores where the Ministry of Railway’s share is Rs.3268.27 crore, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA)’ share as Rs.1148.31 crore and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) loan of Rs.4158.40 crore. The target date for completion of the entire project is December, 2021. Notably the project also envisages construction of 16.6 Km long Metro Railway Corridor including tunnel below ‘river Hooghly’ which is the “1st transportation tunnel in India” under any major river as well as Howrah Station which is one of the deepest Metro stations in India.
- Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani launched First-Ever brand & logo for Indian cotton on occasion of World Cotton Day on October 7, 2020. By which name Indian premium cotton will be referred in World Cotton Trade?
1) Kanchi Cotton
2) Poorva Cotton
3) Kasturi Cotton
4) Purna Cotton
5) Sarvesh CottonAnswer-3) Kasturi Cotton
Union Minister for Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani launched First-Ever Brand & Logo for Indian Cotton through virtual mode on occasion of World Cotton Day on October 7, 2020. India’s Premium Cotton is set to be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in World Cotton Trade. It will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indianness. India produces 51% of the total organic cotton production in the world.
- Who has released the national clinical management protocol based on Ayurveda and Yoga for management of COVID-19?
1) Shripad Yesso Naik
2) Harsh Vardhan
3) Prakash Javadekar
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 2) and 3)Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Harsh Vardhan, and Minister of State (MoS) (Independent Charge) for AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha), Shripad Yesso Naik virtually released the National Clinical Management Protocol (NCMP) based on Ayurveda and Yoga for management of COVID-19. The protocol will contribute to mainstreaming of AYUSH for management of COVID-19.
- Name the campaign which was launched by PM Modi for following COVID-19 appropriate behavior.
1) Jan Surakshit
2) Jan Bhojan
3) Jan Andolan
4) Jan Yohan
5) Jan AarogyaAnswer-3) Jan Andolan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Jan Andolan’ (People’s Participation) campaign for following COVID-19 Appropriate Behaviour. The awareness campaign will promote COVID-19 behaviour ahead of the upcoming festive season and the reopening of the economy. Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked the citizens to “Wear Mask, Wash Hands, Follow Social Distance and Practice ‘Do Gaj Ki Doori’ (a distance of two yards)”.
- Which state government has partnered with Israel to set up ‘centre of Excellence’ on high value vegetables?
5) SikkimAnswer-2) Meghalaya
In order to improve and promote the livelihoods of farmers, the Meghalaya government entered into partnership with Israel to establish a one of a kind Centre of Excellence(CoE) on high value vegetables in the state. CoE is important for tapping the diverse biodiversity and available resources in the state in terms of its soil and agro-climatic condition.
- Which municipal corporation entered into final lap of establishing ‘plastic to petrol’ making unit?
5) KarnalAnswer-1) Guntur
Guntur Municipal Corporation (GMC) has entered the final lap of establishing what is claimed to be the world’s first ‘plastic-to-petrol’ making unit. Trials have been completed at the newly set up plant where young engineers-turned- entrepreneurs converted plastic waste into reusable fuels including diesel, petrol and kerosene. The GMC expects that the ‘plastic-to-petrol’ plant would produce fuel required to run its vehicles. This is considered to be 100% indigenous, zero pollution and zero waste-plastic waste vanishing plant.
- Which department organized “Shramdan” drive to commemorate birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi?
1) Department of Fertilizers
2) Department of Internal Security
3) Department of Disinvestment
4) Department of Revenue
5) Department of JusticeAnswer-5) Department of Justice
To commemorate the Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2nd October 2020, “Shramdan” drive was organized in the Department of Justice (Jaisalmer House), Government of India, New Delhi. On this occasion, online Essay Competition and Painting Competition were also organized. All the officers and staff resolved that maintaining cleanliness will remain as an essential character in their life and they will contribute towards ‘SwachhtaAbhiyan’ by devoting some time on regular basis.
- How many people will be pushed towards extreme poverty due to COVID-19 by the end of 2021 as per World Bank report?
1) 78 million
2) 200 million
3) 150 million
4) 142 million
5) 226 millionAnswer-3) 150 million
According to the Biennial report ‘Poverty and Shared Prosperity 2020: Reversals of Fortune’ released by the World Bank Group around 150 Million People will be pushed into Extreme Poverty by the end of 2021 due to COVID-19. This is the first rise in Extreme Poverty Percentage in 20 years. The report analyzes three aspects which are driving the increase in global poverty – COVID-19, Armed Conflict and Climate Change.
- The 2nd edition of QUAD (Quadrilateral Security Dialogue) held between India, Australia, Japan & United States of America (USA) at which city?
2) New Delhi
4) New York
5) BengaluruAnswer-1) Tokyo
External Affairs Minister (EAM), S. Jaishankar visited Tokyo, Japan for a two-day visit from October 6-7, 2020. On October 6, 2020, EAM S. Jaishankar participated in the Second QUAD (Quadrilateral Security Dialogue) held between India, Australia, Japan & United States of America (USA) in Tokyo, Japan.
- Which bank signed MoU with NABARD to extend credit support for various projects in Gujarat?
1) Punjab National bank
2) State Bank of India
3) Canara Bank
4) Indian Overseas Bank
5) ICICI BankAnswer-2) State Bank of India
In Ahmedabad, Gujarat, the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has inked three Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with State Bank of India (SBI) to extend credit support for various NABARD projects. The MoUs were inked by D. K. Mishra, Chief General Manager of NABARD in Gujarat and Dukhbandhu Rath, Chief General Manager, SBI Ahmedabad Circle in the presence of NABARD Chairman G. R. Chintala.
- What is the estimated GDP of India in FY21 as per World Bank?
1) (-) 7.4%
2) (-) 17.1%
3) (-) 12.3%
4) (-) 5.3%
5) (-) 9.6%Answer-5) (-) 9.6%
As per World Bank’s latest South Asia Economic Focus forecasts, India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) is expected to contract by 9.6%(-9.6%) in FY21. This prediction reflects the national lockdown and the income shock experienced by households and firms due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On the other hand, it expects a 5.4% rebound in FY22. Regional growth (South Asia) is expected to contract by 7.7% in 2020, after topping 6% annually in the past five years, and rebound to 4.5% in 2021.
- Zurich International signed concession agreement with which state government for designing, building and operation of Jewar airport (Noida International Airport)?
1) West Bengal
3) Madhya Pradesh
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) GujaratAnswer-4) Uttar Pradesh
The Government of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and the Zurich Airport International AG(ZAIA) signed a 40-year concession agreement which grants license to Zurich Airport for designing, building and operating the Noida International Airport(NIA) (also known as Jewar Airport) at Jewar, outskirts of Delhi. The concession agreement was signed with the Yamuna International Airport Private Limited (YIAPL) a special purpose vehicle incorporated by Zurich Airport for this project. Arun Vir Singh, CEO, Noida International Airport Limited (NIAL) and Christoph Schnellmann, representative of Zurich Airport International signed the concession agreement.
- Which company partnered with IRCTC to launch online reserved train ticket booking?
1) Amazon India
2) Google India
3) Microsoft India
4) Facebook India
5) IBM IndiaAnswer-1) Amazon India
In order to offer their customers, the facility to book train tickets on amazon, Amazon India has partnered with Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC). Amazon.in has waived the service and payment gateway transaction charges for the introductory period. Amazon Pay, with this launch has added another travel category, thus offering its customers a one-stop-shop to book flights, bus and train tickets.
- Which PSU signed MoU with Government of India to achieve 9680 million units of electricity in FY21?
1) REC Limited
2) NLC Limited
3) SJVN Limited
4) NMDC Limited
5) NBCC LimitedAnswer-3) SJVN Limited
SJVN Limited signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Govt. of India (GoI)for the year 2020-21 as per which the former has the target to achieve 9680 Million Units of electricity generation during FY21 under “Excellent” category. The MOU was signed by Sanjiv Nandan Sahai, Secretary (Power), Government of India and Nand Lal Sharma, Chairman & Managing Director (CMD), SJVN. It should be noted that SJVN has set a target of achieving installed capacity of 5000 MW (Mega Watt) by 2023, 12000 MW by 2030 and 25000 MW by 2040.
- R.K. Chhibber has got 6-month extension as the chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of which bank?
1) IDFC First Bank
2) South Indian Bank
3) Jammu & Kashmir Bank
4) Lakshmi Vilas Bank
5) City Union BankAnswer-3) Jammu & Kashmir Bank
Reserve Bank of India(RBI) extended the term of Rajesh Kumar(R.K.) Chhibber as Chairman and Managing Director(CMD) of Jammu & Kashmir(J&K) Bank for another 6 months, effective from October 10, 2020 or till the appointment of Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO), whichever is earlier. Prior to this, he got an extension of 3 months with effect from July 10, 2020.
- Sadyr Zhaparov has been appointed as the acting prime minister of Kyrgyzstan following the resignation of Kubatbek Boronov. What is the capital of Kyrgyzstan?
5) MoscowAnswer-1) Bishkek
Parliament of Kyrgyzstan (also known as Jogorku Kenesh) appointed Sadyr Zhaparov, as the Acting Prime Minister(PM) of Kyrgyzstan. He was appointed following the resignation of the former PM Kubatbek Boronov amid post-election vote rigging protests. The capital and currency of Kyrgyzstan are Bishkek & Kyrgyzstani Som respectively.
- Who among the following has been appointed as the new deputy governor of Reserve Bank of India?
1) Dinesh Kumar Khara
2) Rajnish Kumar
3) M Rajeshwar Rao
4) J Venkatramu
5) Suresh Kumar SethiAnswer-3) M Rajeshwar Rao
Government of India appointed M Rajeshwar Rao as the new 4th deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) responsible for Financial regulations. He will succeed NS Vishwanathan, the former 4th Deputy Governor of RBI, who resigned in March 2020 before the completion of his term (June 2020). M Rajeshwar Rao is currently serving as the executive director of RBI.
- Bishr al-Khasawneh has been appointed as the prime minister of Jordan recently. What is the capital of Jordan?
5) AlgiersAnswer-4) Amman
Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein, King of Jordan appointed Bishr al-Khasawneh, policy advisor to the king, as new Prime Minister of the country and also instructed him to form a new government. His appointment comes after King Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Omar al Razzaz. Note– Jordan’s Parliamentary elections to held on November 10, 2020. The capital and currency of Jordan are Amman and Jordanian dinar respectively.
- Which zone of railways presented “Man of the Month” safety awards recently?
1) North Central
5) South CentralAnswer-5) South Central
South Central Railway presented “Man of the Month” safety awards to 45 employees for showing ness in the duty and taking timely action to prevent unsafe conditions.
- Which edition of India-Japan Foreign Ministers’ strategic dialogue was held at Tokyo, Japan recently?
5) 16thAnswer-4) 13th
External Affairs Minister, S Jaishankar and Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi held the 13th India-Japan Foreign Minister’s Strategic Dialogue in Tokyo, Japan. They reviewed the progress made in Strategic and Global Partnerships, maritime security, trade and investment, manufacturing, skill development, health and wellness, Indo-Pacific Ocean Initiative (IPOI) and UN Reforms. They emphasized a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region for diverse, and strong supply chains.
- Mario Molina who passed away in October 2020 was the Nobel prize winner in which field?
5) EconomicsAnswer-4) Chemistry
Mario José Molina, the only Mexican scientist to receive the Nobel Prize, passed away at the age of 77 in his native Mexico City, Mexico. He shared the 1995 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with Frank Sherwood Rowland of the United States(US) and Paul Crutzen of the Netherlands for their 1970 research on the damage to Ozone layer. He was born on 19th March 1943 in Mexico City, Mexico.
- Ashwani Kumar who passed away recently is the former governor of which state?
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) All the 1), 2) and 3)Answer- 4) Both 1) and 2)
Ashwani Kumar, the former Director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and former governor of Manipur and Nagaland committed suicide and was found dead in his residence in Shimla. He was born on 15th November 1950 in Nahan, Sirmaur, Himachal Pradesh. He was currently serving as the vice chancellor of a Private university in Shimla.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) day was observed annually on _________.
1) August 13
2) December 7
3) October 8
4) November 4
5) October 1Answer-3) October 8
The Indian Air Force (IAF) day is held annually on October 8 as on this date the Air Force in India was officially raised in 1932 as the supporting force of the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom (UK). The year 2020 marked its 88th anniversary. The day was marked by the main event comprising a parade and flypast at Hindon Air Force Base in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh (UP) with COVID restrictions along with events at IAF establishments across the country.
- What is the theme of World Sight Day 2020 which was observed on October 8?
1) ‘Make Vision Count’
2) ‘Eye Care Everywhere’
3) ‘Hope in Sight’
4) ‘Vision First’
5) ‘Stronger Together’Answer- 3) ‘Hope in Sight’
World Sight Day is observed annually on the second Thursday of October, this year (2020) it falls on October 8. The day aims to create awareness globally about blindness and vision impairment. Globally, IAPB has a leadership role in preparing the annual World Sight Day. Theme of World Sight Day 2020– ‘Hope in Sight’.
- Name the mobile app which was launched Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) to provide news about weather conditions, crop situation and farm practices.
1) CAT cotton
2) CICR cotton
4) Cotton Price
5) None of the AboveAnswer-3) Cott-Ally
A Mobile Application “Cott-Ally” has been developed by Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) to provide news about weather conditions, Crop situation and Farm practices. CCI has opened around 430 procurement centers in all cotton growing states of the country. It is also settling payments to Farmers account within 72 hours.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Krishnapatnam Port is located in which state?
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil NaduAnswer-4) Andhra Pradesh
Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ), has announced the completion of the acquisition of Krishnapatnam Port Company Ltd., (KPCL) in Andhra Pradesh for an enterprise value of ₹12,000 crores. This will result in APSEZ having a controlling stake of 75% in KPCL. Krishnapatnam Port popularly known as KPCL is a privately built and owned all weather, deep water port on the east coast of India, located in the Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh.
- Kamchatka Peninsula is located in which country?
5) GeorgiaAnswer-1) Russia
Russia has opened a criminal investigation into unexplained toxic marine pollution off its far eastern coast. Whole populations of sea life have been wiped out in the region’s waters with carcasses washing up on the shores of the Kamchatka peninsula. Local surfers and divers have also reported health issues with their eyes and throat after entering the water. Environmental campaigners from Greenpeace have described the situation as an “ecological disaster” and have observed “yellowish foam” at the surface of the water.
- Nokrek National Park is located in which state?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
5) MeghalayaAnswer-5) Meghalaya
Nokrek National Park in Meghalaya in north east India is among the last remaining homes of the red panda. Located in the West Garo hills district of the north eastern state, it is about two km away from the Tura Peak and a haven for biodiversity in Meghalaya.
- Jewer Airport is located in which state?
2) Madhya Pradesh
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) GujaratAnswer-4) Uttar Pradesh
The Government of Uttar Pradesh(UP) and the Zurich Airport International AG(ZAIA) signed a 40-year concession agreement which grants license to Zurich Airport for designing, building and operating the Noida International Airport(NIA) (also known as Jewar Airport) at Jewar, outskirts of Delhi.
- Where is the headquarters of Cotton Corporation of India located?
2) New Delhi
5) GurugramAnswer-1) Mumbai
Union Minister for Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani launched First-Ever Brand & Logo for Indian Cotton through virtual mode on occasion of World Cotton Day on October 7, 2020. The headquarters of Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) is located at Mumbai, Maharashtra.