AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 8 October 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Which edition of GST council meet chaired by Finance Minister Niramala Sitharaman was held recently?
The 42nd GST Council meeting was held video conferencing from New Delhi under the chairmanship of Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman where it was decided that this year’s compensation cess collected amounting to Rs 20,000 crore will be disbursed to the states. The meeting was attended by Minister of State (MoS) Anurag Singh Thakur, Ministry of Finance along with Finance Ministers and Senior officers of States and UTs (Union Territories).
- The small taxpayers with annual turnover less than ________ will not be required to file monthly returns with effect from January 1, 2021.
1) Rs 10 crore
2) Rs 5 crore
3) Rs 15 crore
4) Rs 25 crore
5) Rs 1 crore
Answer-2) Rs 5 crore
With effect from January 1, 2021, small taxpayers with annual turnover less than Rs 5 crore will not be required to file monthly returns (GSTR-3B and GSTR-1). They will only file quarterly returns. Therefore, the number of returns of small taxpayers will be reduced from 24 to 8.
- Which ministry released the India’s first pan India use survey titled “NSS Report- Time Use in India 2019”?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
3) Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
4) Ministry of Science and Technology
5) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Answer-3) Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
India’s first Pan India time use survey (TUS) titled “NSS Report- Time Use in India 2019” where NSS is National Sample Survey, was released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) in the form of 2,140-page report. It was a sample survey conducted between January and December 2019 in which 1.39 lakh households across the country and 4.47 lakh persons over the age of 6 were enumerated in measuring the participation of men and women in paid and unpaid activities.
- The Development Monitoring and Evaluation Office which conducted the Data Governance Quality Index Survey belongs to “which” institution?
1) Finance Commission (FC)
2) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
3) National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog
4) National Development Council (NDC)
5) Data Council of India (DCI)
Answer-3) National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog
The Development Monitoring and Evaluation Office(DMEO), Niti Aayog conducted a Data Governance Quality Index Survey to assess the performance of the ministries/departments based on the implementation of Central Sector Schemes(CS) and Centrally Sponsored Schemes(CSS). The Department of Fertilizers, Ministry of Chemical and Fertilizers ranked 3rd among the 65 ministries/departments with 4.11 on a scale of 5. The Department of fertilizers also secured 2nd rank among the 16 Economic Ministries/Departments.
- ‘MSME Prerana’ launched by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is the business mentoring programme of which bank?
1) State Bank of India
2) Punjab National Bank
3) Canara Bank
4) United Bank of India
5) Indian Bank
Answer-5) Indian Bank
Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman, launched “MSME Prerana” an online business mentoring programme for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) by Indian Bank in collaboration with Poornatha & Co, at the bank’s headquarters in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. As per Indian Bank, it is the first-of-its-kind initiative by a bank in India for the MSME sector.
- Name the company which has launched India’s 1st ‘Financial Control Center’ on mobile to empower small business owners.
1) Monsoon Credit
3) Business Quant
4) Square Capital
5) Bridge Group
In view of the pandemic, Chqbook(Chqbook.com), India’s first Neobank for small business owners like kiranas, merchants, chemists, and others running proprietorships has launched India’s 1st ‘Financial Control Center’, a new mobile platform to empower 60 million small business owners of India. The mobile application of Chqbook will give small businesses the power to manage everyday financial needs and to access other financial products, which helps them to save time, effort and money.
- Which bank partnered with Vistara to launch industry 1st co-branded Forex card for international travelers?
1) Indian Bank
2) IndusInd Bank
3) Yes Bank
4) Axis Bank
5) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer-4) Axis Bank
Axis Bank Ltd in partnership with Vistara, India’s full service carrier launched a Co-Branded Forex Card, ‘Axis Bank Club Vistara Forex Card’ to cater the needs of international travellers. This is the 1st-ever collaboration by a bank and an Indian airline for a co-branded forex card. The multicurrency forex card enables customers to travel to international destinations in a cashless and hassle free manner.
- Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) signed MoU with which organization to make educational material accessible for deaf children?
1) University Grants Commission
2) National Council of Educational Research and Training
3) Department of School Education
4) Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
5) Central Board of Secondary Education
Answer-2) National Council of Educational Research and Training
Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) and The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) to convert the NCERT educational materials into Indian Sign Language (ISL). This ensures the accessibility of NCERT materials to the Indian students with hearing impairment in their preferred mode of communication(ISL). The MoU was signed by Dr Prabodh Seth, Joint Secretary of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) & Director of ISLRTC and Prof. Hrushikesh Senapathy, Director of NCERT. This MoU is based on the United Nations Children’s Fund(UNICEF)‘s initiative “Accessible Digital Textbooks for All” and its decisions.
- Name the PSU which signed MoU with Prasar Bharati to broadcast and promote new agriculture technology.
1) Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited
2) National Farms Corporation of India
3) North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation
4) National Seeds Corporation
5) None of the Above
Answer-1) Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited
Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO) and Prasar Bharati inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to broadcast and promote new agriculture technology and innovations during a program organised in Prithvi Bhavan, New Delhi. IFFCO is the world’s biggest fertiliser cooperative and has prepared a Nanotechnology based alternative of Urea. As a part of MoU, DD(Doordarshan) Kisan will broadcast various innovative techniques adopted in the agriculture field in easy language through a 30 minutes’ program series of approximate 25 episodes.
- FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) has signed MoU with which organisation to empower women through skill training?
1) National Skill Development Corporation
2) National Skill Development Department
3) Industrial training institute
4) Tata STRIVE Extension Centre
5) Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Agency
Answer-1) National Skill Development Corporation
Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry(FICCI) Ladies Organisation (FLO), the women’s wing of FICCI and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) under the 3C initiative of FLO to empower women with employability through skill training and to promote women entrepreneurship. The primary focus of this MoU is to generate a sustainable livelihood for women.
- Which state government signed MoU with DET, GIZ India and Siemens India to implement Indo-German Initiative for Technical Education (IGnITE)?
In order to implement a new initiative, Indo-German Initiative for Technical Education (IGnITE), Telangana government has signed a tripartite agreement between Department of Employment and Training(DET), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), India and Siemens Limited, India in presence of Ch Malla Reddy, Minister of labour and Employment. The initiative focuses on industry’s need and practices and training the trainees.
- Which UT has collaborated with National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) to conduct survey for promotion of Dairying?
1) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
3) Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) and Union Territory (UT) Administration of Ladakh signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to conduct a survey for promotion of dairying and rural livelihood in the region.
- Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah, the prime minister of which country resigned recently?
1) Saudi Arabia
The Kuwaiti government, headed by Prime Minister(PM) Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah submitted its resignation to Emir Nawaf Al Ahmed Al Jaber Al Sabah in anticipation of the upcoming general elections that are due to be held in November, 2020. He took charge as the PM in 2019. The emir named Sheikh Meshaal Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, currently the deputy head of the National Guard, as crown prince of Kuwait.
- Who has been appointed as the chairman of State Bank of India with effect from October 7, 2020?
1) Tapan Singhel
2) Rajnish Kumar
3) Ashwini Kumar Tewari
4) Dinesh Kumar Khara
5) Padmaja Chunduru
Answer-4) Dinesh Kumar Khara
The Government of India appointed Dinesh Kumar Khara, the current Managing Director of State Bank of India as the new Chairman of SBI for a period of three years effective from 7th October 2020. Dinesh Kumar Khara succeeds Rajnish Kumar as the new Chairman, whose 3-year term ended on 7th October 2020. The appointment of Dinesh Kumar was recommended by the Bank Board Bureau.
- J Venkatramu has been appointed as the MD&CEO of which payments bank?
1) Airtel Payments Bank
2) India Post Payments Bank
3) Paytm Payments Bank
4) Fino Payments Bank
5) Jio Payments Bank
Answer-2) India Post Payments Bank
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of J Venkatramu as Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) for a period of three years. J Venkatramu will succeed Suresh Sethi, who served the post till March, 2020.
- Who released the results of 1st edition of National start-up awards 2020?
1) Piyush Goyal
2) Raj Kumar Singh
3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
4) Giriraj Singh
5) Pralhad Joshi
Answer-1) Piyush Goyal
Union Minister of Commerce & Industry, Piyush Goyal released the results of the First Edition of National Startup Awards 2020 in a virtual ceremony. The First Ever National Startup Awards has been conceived by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna Won 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for Development of Method for which among the following?
1) Molecular Machines
2) Lithium-ion battery
3) Mechanistic DNA repair
4) Cryo-Electron microscopy
5) Genome Editing (CRISPR)
Answer-5) Genome Editing (CRISPR)
Goran K. Hansson, secretary-general of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, announced the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2020 jointly to Emmanuelle Charpentier of France and Jennifer A. Doudna of the United States for the development of a method for genome editing, namely ‘CRISPR/Cas9 genetic scissors’. The method is one of gene technology’s sharpest tools. This is the 1st time 2 women have jointly won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- Find the organisation which has jointly organised a global symposium ‘India PV Edge 2020’.
1) NITI Aayog
2) Ministry of New & Renewable Energy
3) Invest India
4) All the 1), 2) and 3)
5) None of the Above
Answer-4) All the 1), 2) and 3)
NITI Aayog, Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) and Invest India jointly organized a Global Symposium ‘India PV Edge 2020’ virtually. It was organized to inform global Photovoltaics (PV) about opportunities in India. Minister of State (MoS) (Independent Charge) for New and Renewable Energy, R.K. Singh, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) NITI Aayog, Amitabh Kant, Managing Director (MD) & CEO of Invest India Deepak Bagla attended the session. Around 60 prominent Indian and global CEOs also attended the event virtually.
- Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) planned to invest Rs.5512.50 crore to buy _____ stake in Reliance Retail Ventures Limited (RRVL).
The Reliance Industries Limited(RIL) announced that the wholly owned subsidiary of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority(ADIA) is set to invest Rs.5512.50 crore in the Reliance Retail Ventures Limited(RRVL) for 1.20% stake. The investment value of RRVL at pre money equity value of Rs.4.285 lakh crore. Note: With this investment RRVL has raised a total fund around Rs.37710 crores for 8.51% stake.
- Indian Navy partnered with GVMC for the aerial seeding initiative at which city?
The Indian Navy partnered with Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC) for the Aerial Seeding Initiative at Visakhapatnam. This initiative aims to enhance the green cover in and around Visakhapatnam. Two UH3H helicopters with 2 tons of seed balls undertook the aerial seeding. Around 6.25 tonnes of seed balls were dropped in the region around Pedagantyada, Aganampudi, Naidu Thota, Chinamushidiwada, and Pavuralakonda in Bheemili.
- Alpha Design Technology Limited (ADTL) has bagged Rs 591 crore worth contract to upgrade and digitize which missile system?
1) Qiam missile
2) Mushak missile
3) Pechora missile
4) Frog missile
5) Sagarika missile
Answer-3) Pechora missile
Indian Private Firm Alpha Design Technology Limited (ADTL) bagged INR 591 crore contract for upgrading and digitizing 16 Soviet Era Pechora missile and radar systems. ADTL has partnered with Russian entities for the project which will be executed in four years. It will be a major boost to indigenous defence manufacturing.
- Name the ICG Offshore patrol vessel ‘which’ was launched at Kattupalli Port, Chennai to enhance coastal security (October 2020).
The Seventh Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ‘Vigraha’ of Indian Coast Guard (ICG) was launched at Kattupalli Port, Chennai. The vessel has been built by Larsen & Toubro (L & T). This is the first time that a private sector shipyard has designed & constructed an offshore patrol vessel class ship. ‘Vigraha’ is the last in the series of Seven OPVs contracted to Larsen & Toubro by the Defence Ministry in 2015.
- ‘Tsirkon (Zircon)’ hypersonic cruise missile was successfully tested by which country?
3) United States
Russia successfully test-fired the Tsirkon (Zircon) Hypersonic Cruise Missile. The missile successfully hit a target in the Barents Sea. The test was carried out from Frigate Admiral Gorshkov Vessel located in White Sea, Northern Russia. The Missile successfully hit its target at a distance of 450 Kilometers in Four and Half Minutes, and reached hypersonic speeds of more than Mach 8.
- World cotton day was observed annually on ______.
1) October 6
2) October 4
3) October 5
4) October 7
5) October 2
Answer-4) October 7
The world Cotton Day is held annually on October 7 since 2019 to recognize the importance of cotton as a global commodity grown in over 75 countries across five continents and to highlight its central role in job creation and maintaining economic stability in several least-developed countries. The year 2020 marks its first anniversary.
- Housing & Urban Affairs secretary Durga Shanker Mishra has launched API integration between PM SVANidhi Portal and eMudra Portal of ‘which’ Bank?
1) Indian Overseas Bank
2) Punjab National Bank
3) State Bank of India
4) Canara Bank
5) Union Bank of India
Answer-3) State Bank of India
Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) launched the API (Application Programming Interface) integration between the PM SVANidhi Portal and the SBI (State Bank of India)’s eMudra portal. This launch is a part of Prime Minister Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) Scheme.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Sambhar lake is located in which state?
5) Uttar Pradesh
Rajasthan government has decided to build temporary shelters for migratory birds near the Sambhar Lake (near Jaipur) before 2020’s winter season.
- Who is the MoS (I/C) for Statistics and Programme Implementation?
1) Santosh Kumar Gangwar
3) Rao Inderjit Singh
4) Raj Kumar Singh
5) Shripad Yesso Naik
Answer-3) Rao Inderjit Singh
Rao Inderjit Singh is the Minister of State, (IC) for Statistics and Programme Implementation.
- Amitabh Chaudhry is the MD&CEO of which bank?
1) ICICI Bank
2) HDFC Bank
3) Axis Bank
4) Yes Bank
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) Axis Bank
Amitabh Chaudhry is the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Axis Bank.
- Where is the headquarter of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) located?
5) New Delhi
Answer-5) New Delhi
India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) was incorporated as Payments Banking Company under Section 22 (1) of Banking Regulation Act, 1949. The HQ of Headquarters located at New Delhi.
- Pocharam Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state?
Pocharam Wildlife Sanctuary is a forest and wildlife sanctuary located 15 km from Medak and 115 km from Hyderabad, Telangana, India.