AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 24 November 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Which state has been allotted the maximum loan worth Rs 1,357.93 crore from Rs 3,971.31 crore by Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare (MoAFW) under Micro Irrigation Fund (MIF) for implementing micro-irrigation projects?
1) Tamil Nadu
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) West BengalAnswer-1) Tamil Nadu
Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare (MoAFW) has approved subsidized loans worth Rs 3,971.31 crore under Micro Irrigation Fund (MIF) for implementing micro-irrigation projects. These funds were earlier approved by the steering committee of MIF. The maximum loan worth Rs 1,357.93 crore has been approved for the state of Tamil Nadu, followed by Rs 790.94 crore for Haryana, Rs 764.13 crore for Gujarat, Rs 616.13 crore for Andhra Pradesh, Rs 276.55 crore for West Bengal, Rs 150 crore for Punjab and Rs 15.63 crore for Uttarakhand.
- Where has India’s First Moss Garden been inaugurated?
1) Kevadia, Gujarat
2) Nainital, Uttarakhand
3) Mandi, Himachal Pradesh
4) Subansiri, Arunachal Pradesh
5) Kochi, KeralaAnswer-2) Nainital, Uttarakhand
India’s First Moss Garden was inaugurated at Khurpatal, Nainital District of Uttarakhand by renowned Water Conservation Activist of India, Rajendra Singh (also known as Water Man of India). The Garden has been set up for the purpose of conservation of different species of moss. The Garden is spread over 10 hectares and houses 30 different species of moss and other bryophyte species. Two moss species found in the park – Hyophila Involuta (Cement Moss) & Brachythecium Buchanani are listed under in the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) Red List. Moss (Bryophyta division) are small flowerless plants, they are amongst one of the most ancient Flora on the planet. They are facing threats due to increasing urbanization, destruction of their habitat, deforestation and pollution.
- Which state government established a ‘Gau Cabinet’ for the protection and promotion of cattle in the state?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Uttar Pradesh
3) Himachal Pradesh
5) RajasthanAnswer-1) Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan established a ‘Gau Cabinet’ for the protection and promotion of cattle in the state. 6 Departments – Animal Husbandry, Forest, Panchayat and Rural Development, Revenue, Home and Farmers Welfare Departments will be part of the ‘Gau Cabinet’. The First meeting of the ‘Gau Cabinet’ was held virtually on November 22, 2020 at Kamdhenu Gau Abhayaranya in Agar Malwa distinct – India’s First cow sanctuary. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan chaired the meeting. The Gau Cabinet resolved to start 2000 Gaushalas (cowsheds) in the state. They discussed levying ‘Gau Seva kar (Cow Cess)’.
- Which International Financial Institution has partnered with The Government of Himachal Pradesh improve the infrastructure in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh? (9 Crores out of Rs.15 Crores will be provided by the institution itself).
1) World Bank
2) Asian Development Bank
3) European Development bank
4) New Development Bank
5) Asian Infrastructure Investment BankAnswer-2) Asian Development Bank
The Government of Himachal Pradesh (HP) partnered with Asian Development Bank (ADB) to improve the infrastructure in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh. Jai Ram Thakur, Chief Minister of HP virtually inaugurated and laid foundation stones for various development programs worth Rs.15 crores in Mandi district of HP. Rs. 9 Crores out of the estimated cost of Rs.15 Crores required for the constitution of the facilities will be provided by ADB and the balance will be spared by the Government of Himachal Pradesh. To enhance and provide better facilities and develop the towns of the States, the government has given Municipal Corporation status to Palampur, Solan and Mandi towns.
- Which Indian Agency along with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) launched the SDG Investor Map Report for India, which presents 18 investment opportunities areas (IOAs) in 6 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
1) NITI Aayog
2) Invest India
3) Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT)
4) Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)
5) Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)Answer-2) Invest India
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Invest India launched the SDG Investor Map Report for India, which presents 18 investment opportunities areas (IOAs) in 6 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) enabling sectors that will support India to advance in sustainable development. The 6 SDG sectors include education, healthcare, agriculture & allied activities, financial services, renewable energy & alternatives and sustainable environment and the IOA’s in these sectors were selected through an analytical process which include consultations with major domestic and international investors, government stakeholders and think-tanks.
- Name the solar energy company which has won a bid to develop a 4 MW MW grid-connected floating solar photovoltaic power project in Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
1) Adani Power
2) Tata Solar
3) SunSource Energy
4) Waree Energies
5) Vikram SolarAnswer-3) SunSource Energy
Noida based SunSource Energy will be developing a four MW grid-connected floating solar photovoltaic power project, along with two MW battery storage system (BESS) in Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Once commissioned, it will be one of India’s largest floating plus storage projects in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Which of the following organizations together launched a global group called ‘One Health Global Leaders Group on Antimicrobial Resistance’ to tackle the rising AntiMicrobial resistance (AMR)?
1) Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
2) World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)
3) World Health Organization (WHO)
4) All 1, 2 & 3
5) Both 2 & 3Answer-4) All 1, 2 & 3
3 Global Organizations Namely Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and World Health Organization (WHO) launched a global group called ‘One Health Global Leaders Group on Antimicrobial Resistance’ to tackle the rising AntiMicrobial resistance (AMR). The main aim of the Group is to take actions to prevent disastrous consequences of antimicrobial resistance. The Group will have 20 members and will be co-chaired by Prime Minister of Barbados, Mia Mottley & Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina Wazed. The heads of FAO, OIE and WHO are ex-officio members of the group. From India, Sunita Narain, the Director-General of Centre for Science and Environment, a New Delhi-based think tank is a member of the Group. The group will meet twice a year to discuss agendas.
- Which State Government launched the Mukhyamantri Unnoto Godhan Prakalpa (MUGP) scheme to make the state self-sufficient in milk production by selective chromosome selection?
5) Arunachal PradeshAnswer-3) Tripura
The Government of Tripura contemplated a 3-year plan to introduce sex-sorted artificial insemination of cattle under the Mukhyamantri Unnoto Godhan Prakalpa (MUGP) scheme to make Tripura self-sufficient in milk production by ensuring that more cows are born through selective chromosome selection. The MUGP scheme was launched by the Animal Resources Development Department, Government of Tripura, in October 2020 at Pragna Bhavan, Agartala. The main objective is to introduce sexed semen technology for artificial insemination in cattles of Tripura.
- Which state received 74.31 crore from The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF)-Tranche-XXVI to strengthen rural connectivity and rural infrastructure (November 2020)?
5) TripuraAnswer-4) Meghalaya
The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned Rs 74.31 crore to the state government of Meghalaya under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF)-Tranche-XXVI to strengthen rural connectivity and rural infrastructure of Meghalaya. It will be utilized within three years towards construction of 6 new roads and improvement of 24 existing roads viz. 22 village roads and 2 major district roads. On completion, the roads will benefit 131 villages by providing simple access to nearby health centers, marketing centers and educational institutions.
- Name the Jalna, Maharashtra-based Urban Cooperative Bank which has been imposed restrictions on withdrawals for six months from November 17, 2020.
1) Karad Urban Cooperative Bank
2) Nagar Urban Cooperative Bank
3) Akola Urban Cooperative Bank
4) Mantha Urban Cooperative Bank
5) Mehsana Urban Cooperative BankAnswer-4) Mantha Urban Cooperative Bank
In exercise of powers vested in it under sub section (1) of Section 35 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 read with Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed restrictions on withdrawals from Jalna, Maharashtra-based Mantha Urban Cooperative Bank for six months from November 17, 2020. The bank can also not grant loans or make any investments without prior approval of the RBI in writing.
- Which Public Sector Bank has been penalized with Rs 1 crore for unauthorised bilateral ATM sharing arrangement with one of the international subsidiaries of the bank namely Druk PNB Bank Ltd., Bhutan since April 2010 without the prior approval from RBI?
1) Bank of Baroda (BOB)
2) Punjab National Bank (PNB)
3) Canara Bank
4) Indian Bank
5) Union Bank of India (UBI)Answer-2) Punjab National Bank (PNB)
RBI has imposed Rs 1 crore penalty on Punjab National Bank (PNB) for unauthorised bilateral ATM sharing arrangement with one of the international subsidiaries of the bank namely Druk PNB Bank Ltd., Bhutan since April 2010 without the prior approval from RBI.The penalty has been imposed by RBI after exercising powers under Section 30 of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.
RBI also imposed penalties on other five entities which are non-bank prepaid payment instrument (PPI) issuers for non-compliance of regulatory guidelines. These are as follows:
Entity Bank Sodexo SVC India Private Limited Rs 2 cr Phonepe Private Limited Rs 1 cr 39 Lakh QwikCilver Solutions Private Limited Rs 1 cr Muthoot Vehicle & Asset Finance Ltd. Rs 34.55 Lakh Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Limited Rs 5 Lakh
- The Internal Working Group (IWG) of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) recommended an increase in the promoters’ stake to _______% from 15% of the paid-up voting equity share capital of the bank.
5) 30%Answer-4) 26%
The Internal Working Group (IWG) of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) which was formulated on June 12, 2020 to review extant ownership guidelines and corporate structure for Indian private sector banks has submitted its report on November 20, 2020. It has recommended an increase in the promoters’ stake to 26% from 15% of the paid-up voting equity share capital of the bank in 15 years. It also recommended prescribing a uniform cap of 15% of the paid-up voting equity share capital of the bank for all types of shareholders (non-promoter shareholding). Large non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) with an asset size of Rs 50,000 crore and above, and completed 10 years of operations can be considered for conversion into banks.
- Who has been awarded with the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award 2020 for his contribution to the literary works of India?
1) Kumar Vishwas
2) Ravi Shankar Prasad
3) Prakash Javdekar
4) Manoj Tiwari
5) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’Answer-5) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Union Minister of Education received the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award 2020 for his contribution to the literary works of India. The award was presented to him at the Vatayan-UK felicitation ceremony organised as a virtual event by the British Institution Group in England. Along with Minister of Education, Manoj Muntashir, famous poet and lyricist won the International Vatayan Literary award 2020 at the Vatayan-UK felicitation ceremony. Vatayan Awards is presented by the Vatayan-UK organization, London to recognise and honour the contribution of poets, writers and artists for their works in their respective fields.
- What was the theme of the 23rd Edition of Bengaluru Tech Summit (BTS) 2020 held virtually from November 19-21, 2020?
1) Next is Now
2) Innovation & Impact 2.0
3) Innovation & Impact
4) Ideate, Innovate, Invent
5) Global StabilityAnswer-1) Next is Now
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated the 23rd Edition of Bengaluru Tech Summit (BTS) 2020 held from November 19-21, 2020. The Summit is being held completely in Virtual Platform due to Pandemic. Theme BTS 2020 – ‘Next is Now’. It was organized by Government of Karnataka, Karnataka Innovation and Technology Society (KITS), Karnataka Government’s vision Group on Information Technology, Biotechnology & StartUp, Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) and MM Activ Sci-Tech Communications.
- Which edition of the G20 (Group of Twenty) leaders’ Summit was held on November 21-22, 2020 by Saudi Arabia (2020 theme– Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century for All)?
5) 18thAnswer-3) 15th
The 15th G20 (Group of Twenty) Summit was virtually convened by Saudi Arabia where Indian side was represented by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The summit, chaired by Saudi Arabian King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud saw the participation of respective Heads of State/ Government of 19 member countries, European Union (EU), other invited countries and international organizations. This was scheduled to take place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia but due to COVID-19 it was held virtually. Overcoming the pandemic, economic recovery and restoring jobs, and building an inclusive, sustainable and resilient future. Importantly, during the culmination of the summit, the Saudi Arabia passed the G20 Presidency to Italy for 2021.
- Name the trilateral Naval Exercise (2nd edition) held between Indian Navy, Royal Thai Navy (RTN) & Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) from November 21-22, 2020 at the Andaman Sea.
5) Sagar KavachAnswer-2) SITMEX-20
The 2nd Edition of SITMEX-20 – A Trilateral Naval Exercise between Indian Navy, Royal Thai Navy (RTN) & Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) took place from November 21-22, 2020 at the Andaman Sea.1st Edition of SITMEX-19 was hosted by India in Port Blair in 2019. The 2020 Edition was hosted by RSN. It was conducted with an objective to enhance mutual interoperability and to incorporate best practices between Indian Navy, RSN & RTN. The Indian Navy deployed indigenous Anti-Submarine Warfare corvette INS Kamorta and Missile Corvette INS Karmuk for the exercise.
- ‘Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich’ – A Satellite to monitor rising global sea levels has been developed by which space agency?
1) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
2) Russian Space Agency (ROSCOSMOS)
3) European Space Agency (ESA)
4) Both 1 & 2
5) Both 1 & 3Answer-5) both 1 & 3
‘Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich’ – A Satellite developed by National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), United States (US) & European Space Agency (ESA) to monitor rising global sea levels was successfully launched into the orbit by a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Space Launch Complex 4E at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. It is the first of two satellites jointly developed by NASA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), ESA, EUMETSAT (Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites) and European Commission to provide accurate measurement of rising sea levels. The satellite will ensure the continuity in measures of rising sea levels which began in 1992.
- Where has Roridomyces hyllostachydis (a new species of mushroom that emits bright green light in the dark) been found?
1) Anantagiri Hills, Telangana
2) Ajodhya Hills, West Bengal
3) Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya
4) Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu
5) Kasauli, Himachal PradeshAnswer-3) Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya
A new species of mushroom that emits bright green light in the dark was found in the West Jaintia Hills District of Meghalaya by a team of scientists from India and China following the reports of the locals. The species is named Roridomyces hyllostachydis, this is the first record of the genus Roridomyces in India. This species is now added to the 97 other species of bioluminescent mushrooms in the world. The species was first sighted in Mawlynnong in East Khasi Hills district and later found in Krang Shuri in West Jaintia Hills district, Meghalaya. This species of fungi grows only on dead bamboo.
- Australia’s Shayna Jack was banned for two years 2020 for accidental doping. She belongs to which sports?
2) Weight lifting
5) CyclingAnswer-4) Swimming
Australian swimmer Shayna Jack was banned for two years on November 23, 2020 for accidental doping, with her sanction expiring days before the start of the Tokyo Olympics. Jack tested positive for the anabolic agent ahead of the 2019 world championships. An Australian sports tribunal previously recommended a four-year ban before CAS took on the case. The 22-year-old swimmer, a four-time medalist in relays at the 2017 world championships, cannot compete through July 11, 2021. The Tokyo Olympics open less than two weeks later.
- Who will host the Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 previously scheduled in November 2022?
3) South Africa
5) AustraliaAnswer-3) South Africa
ICC announced that the next Women’s T20 World Cup will now be held in February 2023 in South Africa, instead of November 2022 as it was earlier scheduled. The decision has been taken to avoid a cluster of big-ticket events in 2022 and manage players’ workload.
- Name the Indian International master who earned second GM norm in space of 21 days by winning a GM tournament in Hungary.
1) D Gukesh
2) Raunak Sadhwani
3) Harikrishna P
4) Parimarjan Negi
5) Leon Luke MendoncaAnswer-5) Leon Luke Mendonca
Young Indian International master Leon Luke Mendonca won a GM tournament in Hungary with a round to spare to close in on the coveted Grandmaster title. The 14-year old player from Goa won the First Saturday GM November 2020 event in Budapest to earn his second Grandmaster norm in the space of 21 days.
- Raksha Mantri, Rajnath Singh released two books titled “Loktantra Ke Swar” and “The Republican Ethic volume 3”. The books are collection of speeches of ____________ in Hindi and English respectively.
1) Narendra Modi
2) M. Venkaiah Naidu
3) Ram Nath Kovind
4) Sushma Swaraj
5) Atal Bihari VajpayeeAnswer-3) Ram Nath Kovind
Raksha Mantri, Rajnath Singh released two books titled “Loktantra Ke Swar” and “The Republican Ethic volume 3”, collection of the selected speeches of President Ram Nath Kovind in Hindi and English respectively. The books were published by the Publications Division of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB). Prakash Javadekar, Minister of Information and Broadcasting released the e-version of the books.
- When is the World Fisheries Day observed globally?
1) November 21
2) November 22
3) November 23
4) November 24
5) November 25Answer-1) November 21
The World Fisheries Day is annually celebrated across the globe on 21st November 2020, to create and spread awareness about the importance of the healthy ocean ecosystem and to ensure the sustainable stock of fisheries in the world. The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations (UN) celebrated World Fisheries Day 2020 on 20th November 2020 instead of 21st November 2020. The government of India felicitated the fisheries sector awards for the first time on the World Fisheries day 2020, the awards includes, Best Performing States, Best Organisations, best districts.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary located in India?
5) RajasthanAnswer-1) Tripura
Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary is a wildlife sanctuary in Tripura, India. The sanctuary is situated in South Tripura District. It is 18 kilometres from the sub divisional town of Belonia and is connected with Agartala by state highway. It can be approached either from Belonia in the south or Sonamura in the north.
- Where is the Akhil Bhartiya Kalidas Samaroh (a seven-day festival) held every year in the winters?
1) Uttar Pradesh
5) Madhya PradeshAnswer-5) Madhya Pradesh
The Akhil Bhartiya Kalidas Samaroh is a seven-day festival held every year in the city of Ujjain, that is acquainted with literary giants of Sanskrit such as Kalidas, Vatsyayana, Bhartrihari, and appreciated Hindi writers like Shivmangal Singh Suman, Prabhakar Machve, Gajanan Madhav Muktibodh, and Pandit Surya Narayan Vyas. The Akhil Bhartiya Kalidas Samaroh is held every year in the winter season.
- Clouded Leopard National Park is located in which state?
4) Arunachal Pradesh
5) UttarakhandAnswer-1) Tripura
Clouded Leopard National Park is a national park in the Sipahijola Wildlife Sanctuary Tripura, India. It covers an area of about 5.08 square kilometres and is home to four species of primate monkey including Phayre’s langur.
- First direct flight operations flagged off from Kalaburagi to Hindon Airport. Where is Hindon Airport located?
2) Jammu & Kashmir
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) Arunachal PradeshAnswer-4) Uttar Pradesh
The first direct flight operations from Kalaburagi, Karnataka to Hindon Airport, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh were flagged off on Wednesday under the RCS-UDAN (Regional Connectivity Scheme – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik). The officials of Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) and Airport Authority of India (AAI) were present at the launch. The airline, Star Air was awarded the Kalaburagi – Hindon route under the RCS-UDAN-3 bidding process last year. The airline will be operating three weekly flights on the route and will deploy its 50-seater Embraer-145 luxury aircraft.
- Citadel, ancient city, and fortress buildings of Derbent (designated as heritage sites by UNESCO in 2003) is located in which country?
5) United States (US)Answer-4) Russia
Derbent is the second largest city in the Republic of Dagestan, Russia and one of the most ancient cities in Russia. Its citadel, ancient city and fortress have been listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2003. It came in news recently after getting damaged in heavy rains.
- Which section of Banking Regulation Act, 1949 vests power in the RBI to give directions to banks and take action on them?
1) Section 56
2) Section 21A
3) Section 36AA
4) Section 35A
5) Section 49AAnswer-4) Section 35A
Section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 vests power in the RBI to give directions to banks and can take action, “to prevent the affairs of any banking company being conducted in a manner detrimental to the interests of the depositors or in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the banking company”. The RBI under the act can also impose restrictions on banks to ensure better governance and control.