AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 17 July 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has granted special powers to the armed forces for capital procurement worth Rs. 300 crore. Who chairs the DAC?
1) Nitin Gadkari
2) Nirmala Sitharaman
3) Amit Shah
4) Narendra Modi
5) Rajnath SinghAnswer-5) Rajnath Singh
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) headed by Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence has granted special financial power to the armed forces to make emergency purchases of armed weapons worth upto Rs.300 crores to meet the emerging operational requirement.
- India’s 1st trans-shipping hub is under development in which port?
1) Paradip Port
2) Chennai Port
3) Cochin Port
4) Jawaharlal Nehru Port
5) V. O. Chidambaranar PortAnswer-3) Cochin Port
Mansukh Laxmanbhai Mandaviya, Minister of State (I/C) for the Ministry of Shipping reviewed the development activities of the Vallarpadam Terminal (Kochi International Container Trans-shipment Terminal (ICTT))of Cochin Port which is proposed to develop as India’s first and Asia’s leading trans-shipment port to ensure that Indian cargoes are trans-shipped through Indian Port.
- Atal Innovation Mission initiative under NITI Aayog has teamed with Ministries and its partners to support startups with COVID-19 solutions. Who is the CEO of NITI Aayog?
1) Amitabh Kant
3) Rajiv Kumar
4) Ajay Tyagi
5) VK PaulAnswer-1) Amitabh Kant
Atal Innovation Mission(AIM), flagship initiative of NITI Aayog teamed with other Ministries and its partners, to organize the series of virtual COVID-19 Demo Days to find the potential startups with innovative COVID-19 solutions and provide support to develop and scale up the solutions.About NITI Aayog: CEO– Amitabh Kant.
- Central government plans to increase public health expenditure to ______% of GDP by 2025.
5) 1Answer-1) 2.5
In a meeting with the 15th Finance Commission the Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan highlighted that the government aims to gradually increase the public health expenditure to 2.5% of Gross Domestic Product(GDP) by 2025.The government under the Ayushman Bharat programme proposes to establish 1.5 lakh health and wellness centers by 2022.
- Which state’s police has launched virtual awareness campaign ‘CybHER’ to make cyberspace safe for women and children?
2) Madhya Pradesh
3) Tamil Nadu
4) West Bengal
5) MaharashtraAnswer-1) Telangana
Women Safety Wing (WSW), Telangana Police along with Telangana Director General of Police(DGP) Mahender Reddy, IPS launched ‘CybHER’, a month-long virtual awareness campaign to make cyberspace safe for women and children. The campaign is organized by WSW in collaboration with Legal Aid Centre, Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad.
- Which edition of India – European Union summit was held recently (Co-chair Narendra Modi, Charles Michel & Ursula von der Leyen)?
5) 18thAnswer-2) 15th
The 15th summit between India and the European Union (EU) was held virtually where India was represented by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the EU was represented by Charles Michel, President of the European Council, and Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission.
- India along with which organization adopted joint declaration on resource efficiency and circular economy (July 2020)?
2) European Union
3) Commonwealth Nations
4) United Nations
5) Association of Southeast Asian NationsAnswer-2) European Union
India & European Union (EU) adopted a Joint Declaration on Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy and welcomed the upcoming renewal of the EU-India Science and Technology Agreement for another five years. They agreed to reconvene for the 16th India-EU Summit in 2021.
- How many member entities funds International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) Project?
5) 9Answer-3) 7
In 15th edition of India – EU summit they agreed to jointly tackle water issues, air pollution, plastic and marine litter. The leaders welcomed the continued fusion research cooperation within the ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) project. ITER is international nuclear fusion research and engineering megaproject, which will be the world’s largest magnetic confinement plasma physics experiment. The goal of ITER is to demonstrate the scientific and technological feasibility of fusion energy for peaceful use.The project is funded and run by seven member entities—the European Union, India, Japan, China, Russia, South Korea and the United States.
- Name the country which opens new trade route with India to improve trade and connectivity (July 2020).
3) Sri Lanka
5) BangladeshAnswer-2) Bhutan
India and Bhutan opened a new trade route between Jaigaon in West Bengal and Ahlay, Pasakha in Bhutan to establish easy connectivity and to increase trade between India and Bhutan amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Which world organization’s Indian office and SAP India partnered to provide career counselling to young people?
5) WEFAnswer-2) UNICEF
World Youth skills Day, The United Nations Children’s Fund(UNICEF) India announced its partnership with SAP India, a software company to provide career counseling to young people on improving their skills to increase employment opportunities for them. To benefit the underserved young people of India, UNICEF India collaborates with YuWaah – UNICEF’s Generation Unlimited initiative to provide digital education and skills required for employment.
- The Indian railways operated its first-ever special parcel train transporting dry chilies from Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district to which country?
5) TibetAnswer-1) Bangladesh
The Railways has operated its first-ever special parcel train to Bangladesh, transporting dry chilies from Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district to the neighboring country. Farmers and merchants in and around Guntur area earlier transported dry chilies by road to Bangladesh in small quantities.
- NABARD launched development projects worth Rs. 44 Lakhs in which state/UT (July 2020)?
4) Andaman and Nicobar
5) LakshadweepAnswer-4) Andaman and Nicobar
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development(NABARD) launched development projects of Rs 44 lakhs in Andaman and Nicobar Islands to strengthen the Atmanirbhar Bharat through rural entrepreneurship. The development projects include formation and development of Self-Help Groups(SHGs).
- Elyes Fakhfakh resigned from the post of prime minister of which country?
5) SudanAnswer-4) Tunisia
Tunisian Prime Minister(PM) Elyes Fakhfakh resigned, who was appointed in January, 2020. He presented his resignation letter to President Kais Saied. He also served as a Minister of Tourism and as the Minister of Finance. He is a member of Democratic Forum for Labour and Liberties (referred to as Ettakatol).
- Who has been appointed as the president of south American country ‘Suriname’ (July 2020)?
1) Vijay R. Singh
2) Chandrikapersad “Chan” Santokhi
3) Hardial Bains
4) Desi Bouterse
5) Sambhav JainAnswer-2) Chandrikapersad “Chan” Santokhi
Chandrikapersad “Chan” Santokhi (61), an Indian-origin former police chief has been elected as the president of Suriname, a country in South America. Santokhi leads the Progressive Reform Party of the country. Santokhi will be sworn in as the President from 16, July 2020. Ronnie Brunswijk will serve as the vice-president.
- Who was honored with 2020 International Press Freedom Awards by Committee to Protect Journalists?
1) Shahidul Alam
2) Mohammad Mosaed
3) Dapo Olorunyomi
4) Svetlana Prokopyeva
5) All the aboveAnswer-5) All the above
The Committee to Protect Journalists(CPJ) has announced that 4 Journalists, Shahidul Alam from Bangladesh, Mohammad Mosaed from Iran, Dapo Olorunyomi from Nigeria and Svetlana Prokopyeva from Russia will be honoured with the 2020 International Press Freedom Awards for their courageous act. In addition to them lawyer Amal Clooney will be honored with the Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award 2020.
- Who inaugurated the 5th edition of conference on Aerospace and Defence Manufacturing Technologies on theme “Empowering India with ‘AtmaNirbhar Bharat Mission’”.
1) Jual Oram
2) Shripad Yesso Naik
3) Arjun Munda
4) Nitin Gadkari
5) Mukhtar Abbas NaqviAnswer-2) Shripad Yesso Naik
Shripad Yesso Naik, Minister of State for Defence inaugurated the 5th edition of conference on Aerospace and Defence (A&D) Manufacturing Technologies through video conference. The conference was jointly organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Tamil Nadu Technology Development and Promotion Centre (TNTDPC) and Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM).
- Which organization along with USAID co-hosted joint working group meeting of the sustainable growth pillar (India Energy Modeling Forum was launched in the meet)?
1) Finance Commission (FC)
2) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
3) National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog
4) National Development Council (NDC)
5) India Business Forum (IBF)Answer-3) National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog
A joint working group meeting of the Sustainable Growth (SG) Pillar was co-chaired by NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).The meeting on SG Pillar will boost the India–US Strategic Energy Partnership. The SG pillar entails energy data management, energy modelling and collaboration on low carbon technologies as three key activities. During the meet, an India Energy Modeling Forum (IEMF) was launched which will provide a platform to examine important energy and environmental related issues, and facilitate exchange of ideas.
- Name the person who chairs CII’s e-commerce committee for the year 2020-21
1) Kunal Bahl
2) Chandrajit Banerjee
3) Uday kotak
4) T. V. Narendran
5) Sangeeta VermaAnswer-1) Kunal Bahl
Snapdeal’sKunalBahl to lead CII’s e-commerce committee. Confederation of Indian Industry recently announcedSnapdeal’s Co-founder & CEO KunalBahl has taken over as the Chairman of its e-commerce committee for the year 2020-21.
- The competition commission of India has given approval for Aceso Company to acquired up to 58.92% stake in which company?
1) HealthCare Global Enterprises Limited
2) Religare Health Insurance Company Limited
3) Indraprastha Medical Corporation Limited
4) Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Limited
5) Aster DM Healthcare LimitedAnswer-1) HealthCare Global Enterprises Limited
The Competition Commission of India(CCI) approved acquisition of upto 58.92% stake by Aceso Company Pte. Ltd.(Aceso) in HealthCare Global Enterprises Limited(HCG), under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- Which organization developed P7 Heavy Drop System (HDS) for IL 76 aircraft?
1) Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC)
2) Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
3) Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
4) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
5) Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)Answer-2) Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
As a part of Make in India programme, DRDO has developed P7 Heavy Drop System (HDS) which is capable of para dropping military stores ((vehicle/ ammunition/ equipment) up to 7-ton weight class from IL 76 aircraft [Ilyushin Il-76 or Gajraj (elephant king)]. This HDS consists of a platform & specialized parachute system. It has been inducted in the Indian Army. The design of this fully indigenous system has been developed by Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE), a pioneer Research & Development (R&D) lab of DRDO based in Agra, Uttar Pradesh (UP). It’s platform system manufactured by L&T (Larsen & Toubro) while parachutes manufactured by Ordnance Factory.
- Name the world’s most affordable COVID-19 diagnostic kit which was developed by IIT-Delhi (Launched by HRD minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’).
5) CorofitAnswer-3) Corosure
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, the Union Minister of Human Resource Development(MoHRD) E-launched the world’s most affordable Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) based COVID-19 diagnostic kit ‘Corosure’ developed by the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi(IIT-D) approved by Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR) and Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI).
- The Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) has given approval to India’s first fully indigenously developed vaccine against _______(July 2020).
3) Swine flu
5) AIDSAnswer-1) Pneumonia
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare(MoHFW) informed that, the Drug Controller General of India(DCGI) has given approval to India’s first fully indigenously developed vaccine against pneumonia, Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Conjugate Vaccine. The vaccine has been developed by M/s. Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd, Pune. DCGI has also granted permission to manufacture the vaccine domestically.
- The Cochin shipyard limited planned to construct world’s 1st fully automatic electric ferries for ASKO maritime of which country?
1) New Zealand
5) NorwayAnswer-5) Norway
India’s largest commercial shipbuilder Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) has signed a contract to build the world’s first fully automatic electric vessel for ASKO Maritime, Norway. In this regard, CSL will construct and supply two autonomous electric ferries to ASKO Maritime, with an option to build two more identical vessels. The project, partially funded by the Norwegian Government, aimed at emission-free transport of goods across the Oslofjord, inlet in Norway.
- Avad Bin Hassan Jami who passed away recently is a renowned ______.
5) PoliticianAnswer-2) Cartoonist
Renowned cartoonist Avad Bin Hassan Jami, popularly known as “Jami” passed away at the age of 77 years in Jamnagar, Gujarat. For more than two decades, his cartoons were published in leading Gujarati daily newspapers and news magazines.
- Tamil Nadu government has celebrated July 15 as education development day to commemorate birth anniversary of whom?
1) M. Karunanidhi
2) J. Jayalalithaa
3) Omprakash Mishra
4) APJ Abdul Kalam
5) K.KamarajAnswer-5) K. Kamaraj
On July 15, 2020, the 117th birth anniversary of the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu “King Maker” K.Kamaraj was observed as Tamil Nadu’s Educational Development Day to remember his contribution to enhance the school education facilities of Tamil Nadu.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Pakistan and China signed agreement for 700MW Azad Pattan hydel power project. The Azad Pattan project to be implemented on which river?
1) Beas river
2) Chenab river
3) Sutlej river
4) Jhelum river
5) Ravi riverAnswer-4) Jhelum river
Recently, Pakistan and China have signed an agreement for the 700 MW Azad Pattan hydel power project on the Jhelum river in Sudhnoti district of Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK). The 1.5-billion USD project is under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC – part of the One Belt One Road (OBOR)).The Azad Pattan project is one of five hydropower schemes on the Jhelum, the other four are Mahl, Kohala, Chakothi Hattian and Karot projects.It will be developed on the ‘Build, Own, Operate, Transfer (BOOT)’ model.Earlier India had objected to the construction of the Diamer-Bhasha dam (on Indus river) in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of the PoK.
- Melghat tiger reserve is located in which state?
3) Tamil Nadu
4) West Bengal
5) MaharashtraAnswer-5) Maharashtra
The Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Uddhav Thackeray has requested the Union government for considering an alternative alignment for the Akola-Khandwa rail line that passes through the Melghat Tiger Reserve.The Protected Areas within the Reserve consists of Gugamal National Park, Wan, Ambawarba and Narnala sanctuaries.
- Who is the present Lieutenant Governor of Andaman & Nicobar?
1) V.P. Singh Badnore
2) Dineshwar Sharma
3) Praful Patel
4) Kiran Bedi
5) Devendra Kumar JoshiAnswer-5) Devendra Kumar Joshi
Admiral Devendra Kumar Joshi is the present Lieutenant Governor of Andaman & Nicobar.
- What is the currency of Tunisia?
5) TomarAnswer-3) Dinar
The capital and currency of Tunisia are Tunis & Tunisian Dinar respectively.
- What is the capital of Suriname?
5) SucreAnswer-1) Paramaribo
The capital and currency of Suriname are Paramaribo & Surinamese Dollar respectively.
- Who is the present Drug Controller General of India (DCGI)?
1) Balram Bhargava
2) Rajiv Garg
3) K VijayaRagavan
4) VG Somani
5) Vinod RaiAnswer-4) VG Somani
VG Somani is the present Drug Controller General of India(DCGI).
- Padmanabhaswamy temple which is in news recently is located at which state?
5) PunjabAnswer-4) Kerala
Recently, the Supreme Court of India upheld the right of the Travancore royal family to manage the property of deity at Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala). The Temple has been in the news since 2011 after the discovery of treasure worth over Rs. 1 lakh crore in its underground vaults.