AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 16 October 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Union cabinet has approved implementation of ‘which’ project (funded by world bank) to strengthen school education system.
As a part of implementing the new National Education Policy (NEP), 2020, the Cabinet approved the implementation of Rs 5718 crore Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States (STARS) project with a financial aid from World Bank amounting to US $500 million (approximately Rs. 3700 crore). It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) under Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education (MoE) to support states in strengthening the school education system by focusing on quality based learning outcomes. It will be implemented in six states — Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and Odisha.
- Cabinet has approved MoU for collaboration in R&D for sustainable groundwater management between India and which country (October 2020)?
4) New Zealand
The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga rejuvenation, India and Managing Aquifer Recharge and Sustaining Groundwater use through village-level intervention (MARVI) PARTNERS, Australia in October, 2019.
- Which Ministry has launched Affordable Rental Housing Complex (ARHC) portal & National Report on ANGIKAAR – a campaign for change management recently?
1) Ministry of Finance
2) Ministry of Coal
3) Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
4) Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
5) Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
Answer-3) Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
Hardeep S. Puri, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing & Urban Affairs launched a National Report on ANGIKAAR – a campaign for change management for PMAY-U (Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban) beneficiaries through a 3 C strategy- Community Engagement, Convergence and Communication. The report is a recollection of various activities under the campaign i.e. October 2019-Ocober 2020. A short movie ‘ANGIKAAR 2019…a reminiscence’ showing a journey of the campaign so far, was also released. The Minister also launched Affordable Rental Housing Complex (ARHC) portal.
- The National Authority of Ship Recycling will be set up in which place?
1) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
2) Mumbai, Maharashtra
3) Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
4) Kandla, Gujarat
5) Cochin, Kerala
Answer-1) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Government of India (GoI) notified Directorate General of Shipping as National Authority for Recycling of Ships under Section 3 of the Recycling of Ships Act, 2019. As apex body, DG Shipping will administer, supervise and monitor all activities related to recycling of ships. National Authority of Ship Recycling will be set up in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Which state/UT has launched ‘Red Light On Gaadi Off’ anti-pollution Campaign?
1) Madhya Pradesh
5) Jammu & Kashmir
Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister (CM) of Delhi launched ‘Red Light On Gaadi Off’ Campaign. Under this antipollution campaign, people will be encouraged to turn off the engines of their vehicles while waiting at traffic signals. Prakash Javadekar, Union Environment Minister stated that only 4% pollution is due to stubble burning in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR), while the remaining 96% is due to local factors like biomass burning, garbage dumping, etc.
- According to ‘Global Tuberculosis Report 2020’ released by World Health Organization (WHO), there is a decline of _____ Tuberculosis (TB) case notifications in India between January-June 2020.
1) 22 to 27%
2) 25 to 30 %
3) 20 to 25 %
4) 15 to 20 %
5) 30 to 35 %
Answer-2) 25 to 30 %
According to the Global Tuberculosis Report 2020 released by World Health Organization (WHO), there has been a 25 to 30 % drop in Tuberculosis (TB) across three high-burden countries – India, Indonesia and Philippines between January-June 2020. WHO has collected data from 200 countries for the report, the reduction in case notifications may lead to dramatic increase in additional TB deaths. India (27%), China (14%) and Russian Federation (8%) had the largest share of Tuberculosis in the world. WHO’s modelling suggested that the number of people developing TB will increase by 10 Lakh per year during 2020-25 period.
- Which state approved “Dr. BR Ambedkar SC Post Matric Scholarship Scheme”?
2) Madhya Pradesh
Punjab Cabinet headed by Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh approved the launch of state’s Post Matric Scholarship Scheme “Dr. BR Ambedkar SC Post Matric Scholarship Scheme” to be effective from academic session 2021-22. This scheme will replace the Centre’s “Post Matric Scholarship Scheme”, which became defunct in 2018, to facilitate Scheduled Caste (SC) students to pursue higher education in government and private institutions. The outlay of the scheme is estimated to be about Rs 600 crore.
- Who has launched 2nd phase of “Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojna” for underprivileged Thalassemia patients?
1) Harsh Vardhan
2) Nirmala Sitharaman
3) Prakash Javadekar
4) Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank
5) Ravi Shankar Prasad
Answer-1) Harsh Vardhan
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan virtually launched the Second Phase of “Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojna” from Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi. It will benefit underprivileged patients. The beneficiaries are Underprivileged Thalassemia Patients who are eligible for Bone Marrow Transplantation but lack financial support. The program is funded by Coal India’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
- Name the Life Insurance Product which was introduced by IRDAI and made it mandatory to All Life Insurance Companies from January 1, 2021?
1) Safal Jeevan Bima
2) Sabal Jeevan Bima
3) Umang Jeevan Bima
4) Anand Jeevan Bima
5) Saral Jeevan Bima
Answer-5) Saral Jeevan Bima
On October 15, 2020, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) released Guidelines for Standard Life Insurance Product ‘Saral Jeevan Bima’. The insurance scheme should be mandatorily offered by All Life Insurance Companies from January 1, 2021. A Standard Insurance Product will enable the customers to easily make an informed choice, enhance trust between Insurers and insured and reduce mis-selling.
- How much was contributed by Government of India to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency in Near East (UNRWA) for Palestine refugees?
1) USD 10 Million
2) USD 2 Million
3) USD 5 Million
4) USD 3 Million
5) USD 1 Million
Answer-5) USD 1 Million
The Government of India contributed USD 1 Million (Approximately INR 7.3 Crores) to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency in Near East (UNRWA) for Palestine refugees. It will help in improving the lives of Palestine refugees suffering due to the pandemic. The contribution was presented by Representative of India to the State of Palestine, Sunil Kumar to Sami Mshasha, Officer-in-Charge of Department of External Relations and Communication and Director of Communication of UNRWA.
- Reliance Retail Ventures Ltd (RRVL) received Rs.5550 crores as subscription amount from which company?
1) Alyssum Asia Holdings II
2) JPMorgan Chase
3) UBS Group
5) Capital Group
Answer-1) Alyssum Asia Holdings II
Reliance Retail Ventures Ltd (RRVL), a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) received the subscription amount of Rs.5550 crores from Alyssum Asia Holdings II Pte.Ltd., a unit of KKR, a global investment firm and allocated 81348479 equity shares to KKR. KKR has picked up 1.28% stake in RRVL for its investment of Rs.5550 crores.
- IKEA in partnership with Citibank India and ‘which’ company launched a co-branded ‘IKEA Family Credit Card by Citi’?
3) American Express
5) None of the Above
In order to make shopping at IKEA, home furnishing company more affordable, convenient and rewarding, it has launched ‘IKEA Family Credit Card by Citi’, in partnership with Citibank India (Citi) and Mastercard. This card is IKEA’s first co-branded card in India.
- Hindustan Zinc Limited Signed a MoU with which state to Set up World’s Biggest Zinc Smelter Plant?
On 14th October 2020, the Hindustan Zinc Limited (HZL), a subsidiary of Vedanta Limited, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the government of Gujarat to set up World’s Biggest Zinc smelter complex in Doswada GIDC (Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation), Tapi, Gujarat. This 300 KTPA (Kilo Tonnes Per Annum) greenfield facility of HZL is the first of its kind in Gujarat with zero liquid discharge.
M. K. Das, IAS, Additional Chief Secretary, Industries and Mines, Government of Gujarat and Arun Misra, CEO of Hindustan Zinc Limited signed the MoU.
- PhonePe has collaborated with which Insurance Company to launch car and bike insurance products on its platform?
1) ICICI LOMBARD General Insurance
2) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
3) Kotak Mahindra General Insurance
4) HDFC ERGO General Insurance
5) Bharti AXA General Insurance
Answer-2) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
PhonePe in association with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company launched car and bike insurance products on its platform. This launch enables more than 230 million registered PhonePe users to insure their vehicles, in less than 2 minutes, without having to upload any documents before making a purchase. They can also view their policy documents instantly on the app.
- Name the Foundation which has partnered with World Wide Fund for Nature-India (WWF India) to conserve the Asian elephant in Assam.
1) Pernod Ricard India Foundation
2) Wildlifw Trust of India
3) Nature Conservation Foundation
4) Environmentalist Foundation of India
5) Harmony Foundation
Answer-1) Pernod Ricard India Foundation
Pernod Ricard India Foundation and World Wide Fund for Nature-India (WWF India) partners to conserve the Asian elephant in Assam through effective human-elephant conflict management. The project will work across 150 villages in Kamrup, Sonitpur, Biswanath, and Nagaon districts. It will also train community members on effective situation management by developing a toolkit and forming anti-depredation squads, which will help them protect their property, crops, and lives.
- Name the person who got extension for 3 months as Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary till January 31, 2021.
1) Somesh kumar
2) Deepak Kumar
3) Kewal Sharma
4) K. Shanmugam
5) Vishwas Mehta
Answer-4) K. Shanmugam
Centre approved another 3-month extension of service (from November 1, 2020 to January 31, 2021) to Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary K. Shanmugam, a 1985-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer.
- Who got extension as Chairman and Managing Director CMD of NTPC Limited till July 2025.
1) Shashi Shanker
2) Gurdeep Singh
3) Mukesh Kumar Surana
4) MA Ganapathy
5) R K Chhiber
Answer-2) Gurdeep Singh
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) extended the tenure of Gurdeep Singh, the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of NTPC limited. Gurdeep Singh will serve as the CMD till July 2025, which makes him as the one of the longest serving chief of NTPC Ltd. Gurdeep’s extended Second term will start from 4th February 2021 and end on 31st July 2025, the date of his retirement.
- Name the President of Kyrgyzstan who announced resignation recently.
1) Louise Gluck
2) Volan Bozkir
3) Sooronbai Jeenbekov
4) Jair Bolsonaro
5) Shavkat Mirziyoyev
Answer-3) Sooronbai Jeenbekov
Sooronbai Jeenbekov, the President of Kyrgyzstan announced his resignation to end the commotion and disorder caused by the results of the 2020 Parliament elections. Following the demands of the citizens of Kyrgyzstan and to settle the protest at Bishkek, the President, Sooronbai Jeenbekov announced his resignation. Sooronbai Jeenbekov accepted the appointment of Sadyr Zhaparov as the Prime Minister (PM) after the parliament of Kyrgyzstan named him as the PM in the repeat vote conducted on 14th October 2020.
- Who attended the 4th G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors meeting held virtually under the presidency of Saudi Arabia on October 14, 2020?
1) Nirmala Sitharaman
2) Narendra Modi
3) Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
4) Rajnath Singh
5) Amit Shah
Answer-1) Nirmala Sitharaman
4th G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting was held virtually on October 14, 2020. It was organized under the Saudi Arabian Presidency where Indian side was represented by Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman. The meeting was co-chaired by Mohammed Al-Jadaan, Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Finance, and Ahmed Al-Kholifey, governor of the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority. During this meeting, the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors agreed to extend the Debt Service Suspension Initiative (DSSI) by 6 months i.e. till June 2021 to ease liquidity pressures. It was initially in force till December 2020.
- According to Intellectual Property India’s Annual Report for 2018-19, which Institute (Stand-Alone) has topped the list in filing highest number of patents in a year?
1) IIT Delhi
2) Kanpur University
3) Chandigarh University
4) Shoolini University
5) Lovely Professional University
Answer-3) Chandigarh University
According to Intellectual Property India’s Annual Report for 2018-19, Chandigarh University (Gharuan, Mohali, Punjab) has emerged as the Leading Stand-Alone University in India for filing 336 Patents, which is the highest number of patents in a year.
The reports were released by the Office of Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks, Government of India. According to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) India ranks 7th Globally in the list of Global Patent Filing Index.
Top 3 Indian Applicants for patents from Academic Institutes and Universities:
Name of Institute Rank Indian Institute of Technology (Collective) – 557 Patents 1 Chandigarh University, Punjab – 336 Patents 2 (Top Stand-Alone University) Shoolini University, Himachal Pradesh – 185 Patents 3
- Name the author of book titled “Mr Prime Minister, We Shrank the Dragon”.
1) Anand Neelkantan
2) Kumar Padampani Bora
3) GBS Sidhu
4) Pradeep Goorha
5) GS Amur
Answer-4) Pradeep Goorha
Pradeep Goorha authored his 2nd book titled “Mr Prime Minister, We Shrank the Dragon”, published by Partridge Publishing India is set to be released. The Fiction book is based on the reality around the issues along the Northern borders of India and the illegal occupation of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), Gilgit-Baltistan by Pakistan.
- John R Reid, a renowned Cricketer who passed away recently belongs to which country?
3) South Africa
4) New Zealand
Answer-4) New Zealand
John R Reid, former captain of New Zealand’s Cricket Team and the oldest surviving Test Cricket passed away at the age of 92 in Auckland, New Zealand. He was born on 3rd June 1928 in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Jnanpith & Padma Shri Awardee ‘Mahakavi’ Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri who passed away in October 2020 was a renowned Poet in which language?
‘Mahakavi’ (great poet) Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri, renowned Malayalam Poet passed away at the age of 94 at a private hospital in Thrissur, Kerala. He is the last Malayalam poet to be called as ‘Mahakavi’. He introduced “meaningful modernism” in Malayalam poetry several decades ago. He is a recipient of Jnanpith Award (2019), India’s highest literary honour and Padma Shri (2017). He was born on March 18, 1926 in Kumaranallur in Palakkad District, Kerala. He has published about 45 books, which comprises poetry anthologies, plays and short stories.
- UN’s International Day of Rural Women (2020’s Theme- “Building rural women’s resilience in the wake of COVID-19”) was annually observed on which date?
1) October 10
2) October 15
3) October 12
4) October 13
5) October 5
Answer-2) October 15
United Nations (UN)’s International Day of Rural Women is annually observed across the globe on 15th October to recognize the role and contribution of rural women in agriculture and rural development, food security and eradicating rural poverty. The day also promotes gender equality and elimination of gender discrimination. The First International Day of Rural Women was observed on 15th October 2008. The theme of International Day of Rural Women 2020 is “Building rural women’s resilience in the wake of COVID-19”.
- What was the theme for Global Handwashing Day 2020 which was celebrated October 15 (annually)?
1) Our hands, our future
2) Clean Hands for All
3) Hand Hygiene for All
4) Clean hands – a recipe for health
5) Clean hands save lives
Answer-3) Hand Hygiene for All
Global Handwashing Day is celebrated annually on October 15. The global advocacy day aims to raise awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap as an effective and affordable way to prevent diseases and save lives. Theme of Global Handwashing Day 2020 – “Hand Hygiene for All”. The theme follows the recent global initiative, Hand Hygiene for All Global Initiative, led by the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
- World Student Day is observed annually on which date (2020’s Theme- “Learning for People, Planet, Prosperity and Peace”)?
1) October 15
2) August 15
3) September 5
4) September 15
5) November 15
Answer-1) October 15
The World Student Day is observed annually on 15th October to celebrate the Birth Anniversary of India’s 11th President Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (known as APJ Abdul Kalam). This is Abdul Kalam’s 89th Birth Anniversary. He is recipient of Padma Bhushan (1981), Padma Vibhushan (1990), Bharat Ratna (1997). He passed away on July 27, 2015 at IIM (Indian Institute of Management) Shillong, Meghalaya.
- Which state government launched ‘HathDhonaRokeCorona’ on the occasion of global handwashing day October 15, 2020?
3) Uttar Pradesh
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Answer-3) Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh government has launched a social campaign HathDhonaRokeCorona on the occasion of the global handwashing day to urge people to follow regular guidelines and wash their hands at regular intervals to stay away from the coronavirus. To mark the day, from 10 am to 12 noon, special handwashing programs were organised in all the districts of the state.
- ‘Champions’, a single window system portal was launched by which ministry?
1) Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES),
2) Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
3) Ministry of Agriculter and farmer welfare.
4) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
5) Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Answer-5) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has introduced Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning (ML) for strengthening its single window system portal ‘Champions’. The conceptualization and scope analysis has been done with the help of National Informatics Centre (NIC) based on guidance provided by the team of Intel. AI & ML will help in understanding issues on a real-time basis on available social media and online data.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Khijadia Bird Sanctuary located?
Khijadiya Bird Sanctuary is a bird sanctuary located in Jamnagar district of Gujarat, India. About 300 species of migratory birds have been recorded here.
- What is the Capital of Kyrgyzstan?
The capital and currency of Kyrgyzstan are Bishkek & Kyrgyzstan Som.
- Where is the HQ of Indian Patent Office located?
The Office of the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks (CGPDTM) known as the Indian Patent Office, is an agency under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade. Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport is located in which state/UT?
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) Jammu & Kashmir
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport is an international airport serving the cities of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar in Gujarat, India.
- The Citibank India’s headquarter is located at which city?
3) New Delhi
Citibank India is a foreign bank in India with a full service onshore platform. Its Indian headquarters is at Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai, Maharashtra.