AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 14 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- India extends assistance of USD 1 Million to Antigua and Barbuda for COVID-19 response. What is the capital of Antigua and Barbuda?
2) Saint John’s
4) Port Louis
Answer-2) Saint John’s
As a part of India’s efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, India extended an assistance of 1 million USD to the government of Antigua and Barbuda to combat the global COVID-19 pandemic and to improve their health infrastructure and capacity.The capital and currency of Antigua and Barbuda are Saint John’s & East Caribbean dollar respectively.
- The Katra to Delhi express road corridor is expected to be completed by which year?
First-of-its-kind Katra (Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir)-Delhi Express Road corridor works have begun and it is expected to be completed by 2023.It was announced by Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (M-DoNER), Dr. Jitendra Singh. The express Corridor is expected to reduce the travel time between Katra and Delhi to around six and half hours, the total outlay of the project is Rs. 35, 000 crores.
- Who heads the three-judge bench of Supreme Court which passed judgement that daughters have equal birthright to inherit property with retrospective effect?
1) Justice Arun Mishra
2) Justice DipakMisra
3) Justice Indu Malhotra
4) Justice Vineet Saran
5) Justice Krishna Murari
Answer-1) Justice Arun Mishra
In accordance with the landmark judgment passed by three-judge Bench of Supreme Court (SC) headed by Justice Arun Mishra and comprised of Justices S Abdul Nazeer and MukeshkumarRasikbhai Shah, as per the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005, the daughters will have equal inheritance rights as of sons in the properties of fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers right from the codification of the law in 1956 i.e. it would have retrospective effect.
- The Moira bananas, HarmalChillies&Khaje of which state has got GI tag recently?
The Geographical Indications Registry headquartered in Chennai (Tamil Nadu) granted Geographical Indications(GI) to Goa’s HarmalChillies which are grown only in Harmal village and adjacent areas of Pernem taluka(specifically in the coastal village of Arambol), Moira bananas, a unique banana grown in Moira village of Bardez taluka &Bicholim Taluka and Khaje, the traditional state sweet. Khaje got a GI tag under foodstuffs falling in Class-30 and Moira Banana under Class-31.
- Which state cabinet has approved financial bid for the implementation of GangadharMeher lift canal system?
On August 12, 2020, the Odisha cabinet headed by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik approved four mega drinking water projects in its Koraput, Malkangiri, Mayurbhanj, Balasore, Gajapati and Cuttack districts worth Rs 800.27 crore. These projects will provide drinking water to 6.07 lakh additional population in 911 villages in these districts. It also approved the financial bid worth Rs 1138.63 crore for implementation of the GangadharMeher Lift Canal System, an ambitious project that aims to provide assured irrigation to around 25,600 hectares of chronically drought-hit areas in Bijepur areas in Bargarh district.
- Which state’s cabinet has approved a proposal which will enhance the penalty for violators of the COVID-19 regulations?
State Cabinet of Odisha approved a proposal which will enhance the penalty for violators of the COVID-19 regulations. The State Cabinet has approved the proposals to effect necessary amendments in the Epidemic Diseases Act 1897, in its application to the state of Odisha, by passing an Ordinance.
- Which state government planned to launch country’s first electric vehicle park?
1) Tamil Nadu
3) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of the Above
Answer-1) Tamil Nadu
Tamil Nadu is planning to set up a park exclusively for the electric vehicle production eco-system. This will be the country’s first electric vehicle park. The state is targeting around Rs 50,000 crore investment in the EV segment and announced a series of incentives to attract investments in the EV space.
- India’s deepest underground rail ventilation shaft is completed by which metro rail corporation?
1) Kolkata Metro
2) Mumbai Metro
3) Chennai Metro
4) Bengaluru Metro
5) Hyderabad Metro
Answer-1) Kolkata Metro
Recently, India’s deepest underground rail ventilation shaft, which is an important part of Kolkata’s East-West Metro line, has been completed. The underground rail ventilation shaft is equal to a 15 storey building. The underground rail ventilation shaft, which is 43.5 metres deep, was completed jointly by Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC) and a private engineering firm, Afcons.
- How much was the amount that was committed by Abu Dhabi’s crown prince to empower intellectually disabled children?
1) USD 35 million
2) USD 10 million
3) USD 50 million
4) USD 15 million
5) USD 25 million
Answer-5) USD 25 million
Under the Unified Champion School(UCS) worldwide programme, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has committed USD 25 million to expand UCS(an initiative undertaken by the Special Olympics) to 6 countries namely, India, Argentina, Egypt, Pakistan, Romania and Rwanda with an aim to empower intellectually disabled children. The 4-year project will create 120 UCS across 12 states in India, which will play a pivotal role to make Indian education system more inclusive.
- The Punjab CM Amarinder Singh launched ‘Punjab Smart Connect Scheme’ to provide which among the following for students?
2) Free Internet
5) Smart Phone
Answer-5) Smart Phone
On 12th August 2020, On the occasion of International Youth Day and Janmastami, Captain Amarinder Singh, Chief Minister of Punjab launched the “Punjab Smart Connection Scheme” worth Rs. 92 crores to provide free smartphones to the students of class 12 and he also handed over the smartphones to 6 students.
- Find the state which has launched ‘Karma SathiPrakalpa’ scheme to provide soft loans and subsidies to youth.
1) West Bengal
2) Tamil Nadu
5) Madhya Pradesh
Answer-1) West Bengal
On the occasion of International Youth Day 2020, the West Bengal government launched the ‘Karma SathiPrakalpa’ scheme under which 1 lakh unemployed youth will be provided soft loans and subsidies so as to make them self-reliant. This scheme empowers the youth.
- “YSR Cheyutha” scheme was launched by which state government to ensure sustainable livelihood for women?
2) Tamil Nadu
3) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-3) Andhra Pradesh
YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh launched “YSR Cheyutha” a scheme to ensure the sustainable livelihood of women by providing a financial assistance of Rs.18750 per year for 4 years.
- The RBI has mandated urban co-operative banks (UCBs) with assets of ______ or above as on March 31, 2020 to implement system-based asset classification from 30 June 2021.
1) Rs 3,000 crore
2) Rs 1,500 crore
3) Rs 2,000 crore
4) Rs 2,500 crore
5) Rs 1,000 crore
Answer-3) Rs 2,000 crore
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has mandated the urban co-operative banks (UCBs) with assets of Rs 2,000 crore or above as on March 31, 2020 to implement system-based asset classification from 30 June 2021. For UCBs having total assets of Rs 1000 crore or above but less than Rs 2000 crore as on March 31, 2020 and have self-assessed under Level III or Level IV on “Comprehensive Cyber Security Framework for Primary (Urban) Cooperative Banks (UCBs) – A Graded Approach” are mandated to implement it from September 30, 2021.
- Which bank has partnered with Fiserv to Support Launch of their 1st Independent Credit Card?
1) Federal Bank
2) Axis Bank
3) Yes Bank
4) IndusInd Bank
5) RBL Bank
Answer-1) Federal Bank
Federal Bank has partnered with Fiserv, Inc. to enable the digitization of its end-to-end card issuance and processing cycle to support the launch of the Federal Bank credit card, their 1st Independent Credit Card. The Federal bank will also outsource associated operational processes to Fiserv.
- Goa government has signed tripartite agreement with GIZ India and Siemens limited for vocational education and training in which language?
Government of Goa signed a tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Siemens Limited and Deutsche GesellschaftfürInternationaleZusammenarbeit (GIZ) India to provide world class German dual vocational education and training(VET) in Goa’s Industrial Training Institutes(ITIs). This is a first-of-its-kind collaboration between the state government, industry and an international development for skill training in Goa.
- The 40 mm Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) which was handed over to BSF recently is designed and manufactured by which company?
1) Opto Electronics Factory, Dehradun
2) Ammunition Factory Khadki, Pune
3) Gun and Shell Factory, Kolkata
4) Grey Iron Foundry, Jabalpur
5) Small Arms Factory, Kanpur
Answer-2) Ammunition Factory Khadki, Pune
The first consignment of 40 mm Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) was handed over to Border Security Force (BSF) which is designed and manufactured indigenously by the Ammunition Factory Khadki (AFK) in Pune, Maharashtra on the lines of the “Atmanirbhar Bharat” (self-reliant India). This ammunition is used to be imported by the Army and the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) units.
- Which country has tested a ballistic missile interceptor named ‘Arrow-2’?
Israel Defence Minister Benny Gantz, announced that Israel has successfully tested their advanced missile defence system, Arrow-2, a ballistic missile interceptor, which serves as the top tier integrated Israeli shield built to withstand various missile salvoes, was built with the support of the United States of America.Arrow 2 is a multi-layered system designed and manufactured by Israel Aerospace Industries and Boeing, US based industry.
- Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) has found 66 new exoplanets recently. The TESS belongs to which space agency?
1) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
3) Centre national d’étudesspatiales (CNES)
4) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
5) China National Space Administration (CNSA)
Answer-2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite(TESS) of National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA) completed its primary mission of imaging 75% of the starry sky during the two-year survey and found 66 new exoplanets beyond the solar system, and around 2100 candidates on which the astronomers are working on to confirm among others.
- Name the country which shares AI based technology and high-end equipment with AIIMS Delhi.
As part of Israel-India cooperation to fight the ongoing Covid-19 Pandemic, Israel has shared Artificial Intelligence (AI) based technology and high-end equipment with All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), Delhi, India. Ambassador of Israel to India Dr Ron Malka handed over the ‘state-of-the-art artificial intelligence-based technologies and high-end equipment’ to Director of AIIMS DrRandeepGuleria in the presence of Sanjay Bhattacharya, Secretary, (Consular and Diaspora) Ministry of External Affairs at an event held on August 12, 2020.
- The Telangana government has launched Artificial Intelligence for Agricultural Innovation Programme (AI4AI) in collaboration with Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR) and which organization?
1) International LabourOrganisation- India
2) United Nations – India
3) International Monetary Fund – India
4) World Economic Forum – India
5) United Nations Conference on Trade and Development – India
Answer-4) World Economic Forum – India
The Government of Telangana has launched Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Agricultural Innovation Programme (AI4AI) in collaboration with Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR) & World Economic Forum (WEF) – India. Telangana Industries and IT Minister KT Rama Rao launched the AI4AI program virtually on 12th August, 2020.
- Name the organization which has developed a microwave device named ‘Atulya’ that can disinfect any premises in just 30 seconds.
1) Defence Research & Development Establishment (DRDE)
2) Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR)
3) Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT)
4) Defence Electronics Research Laboratory (DLRL)
5) Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR)
Answer-3) Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT)
Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari has unveiled a microwave device named ‘Atulya’ that can disinfect any premises in just 30 seconds, disintegrating COVID-19 virus in Nagpur, Maharashtra and is developed by the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, Pune.
- The World Organ Donation Day was observed annually on _________.
1) August 15
2) August 12
3) August 13
4) August 14
5) August 16
Answer-3) August 13
World Organ Donation Day is observed annually on August 13 to motivate people to donate organs after death and to spread awareness about the importance of organ donation. The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare of India launched the 6th World and 1st ever Indian Organ Donation Day and Organ Donation Congress in 2010 in New Delhi.
- When was World Left-Handers-Day observed every year on?
1) January 21
2) May 15
3) October 8
4) August 13
5) December 31
Answer-4) August 13
The World Left-Handers-Day is observed every year on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of Southpaws. Around 10 percent of the people worldwide are left-handed.
- Name the state which observes Patriots’ day annually on August 13.
4) Arunachal Pradesh
Patriots’ day is observed annually on August 13 in Manipur. The Patriots’ Day 2020 was observed to commemorate the 1891 Anglo-Manipuri war during which many Manipuri’s sacrificed their lives to safeguard the independence of the State.
- Who launched “Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest” platform of Income tax department?
1) Anurag Singh Thakur
2) Nirmala Sitharaman
3) Nitin Gadkari
4) Narendra Modi
5) Rajnath Singh
Answer-4) Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a platform for “Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest” via video conferencing that provides faceless assessment and appeal and taxpayers’ charter, as a part of direct tax reforms. While the faceless assessment and taxpayers’ charter would be implemented from August 13 itself but the faceless appeal system would be available from September 25, 2020 i.e. on the birth anniversary of DeendayalUpadhyaya.
- Name the app which has won “AtmaNirbhar App Innovation Challenge” in social category.
2) Teen Patti
5) None of the Above
Centre has announced 24 winners in the eight categories of “AatmaNirbhar App Innovation Challenge”,under this Challenge, Chingari emerged as a winner of ‘social’ category and Koo, MaymyIndiamove, Asksarkar, myitreturn are some of the other apps that won the challenge, across eight categories.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology is located in which city?
The Dehradun, Uttarakhand based Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology (WIHG), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, which investigated and characterized the gas emissions from Himalayan geothermal springs, found that these springs which cover about 10,000 square km in the Garhwal region of Himalaya show a significant discharge of Carbon dioxide (CO2).
- The Papum reserve forest is located in which state?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
3) Madhya Pradesh
5) Uttar Pradesh
Answer-1) Arunachal Pradesh
A study has flagged a high rate of deforestation in Papum Reserve Forest (RF), a major hornbill habitat in Arunachal Pradesh.Papum Reserve Forest (RF) is an Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBAs) in Arunachal Pradesh. It is located between two IBAs, Itanagar Wildlife Sanctuary to the east and Pakke Wildlife Sanctuary to the west. Papum Reserve Forest forms part of the Eastern Himalayas Endemic Bird Area. A large part of the site is covered by Sub-Tropical Dry Evergreen and Semi-Evergreen Forests, while the higher areas are under Subtropical Broadleaf Hill Forest cover. Papum RF is a nesting habitat of three species of the large, colourful fruit-eating hornbills: Great, Wreathed and Oriental Pied. The 862 sq.km.
- Mollem national park is located in which state?
The Mollem National Park is located in Goa.
- Where is the HQ of Ordnance Factory Board located?
5) New Delhi
Ordnance Factories is the oldest and largest industrial setup under the Department of Defence Production (DPP) of the Ministry of Defence (MoD). There are 41 Ordnance Factories under the aegis of its corporate headquarters in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Gorumara national park is located in which state?
1) West Bengal
2) Tamil Nadu
5) Madhya Pradesh
Answer-1) West Bengal
The Gorumara national park is located in West Bengal.