AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 13 October 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh laid foundation stone for 450m long ‘Nechiphu tunnel’ in which state/UT?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer-2) Arunachal Pradesh
Rajnath Singh, Union Defence Minister virtually inaugurated 44 bridges, built by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) across 7 States/UTs (Union Territories) in border areas. Most of these bridges are in strategically important areas and will help armed forces to ensure quick movement of troops and weapons. He also laid the Foundation Stone for 450 meters long, ‘Nechiphu Tunnel’, a bi-lane tunnel, on the road to Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh. It is to be noted that this is the 1st time such a large number of bridges on different borders of the country were inaugurated. The strategically important tunnel will ensure all weather connectivity across Nechiphu Pass. It will also provide a safe and secure passage through accident prone areas.
- Which is 1st state/UT in India to go digital in public education?
The state of Kerala has become the First State in India to make the public education sector completely digital. It has been implemented at a cost of INR 42.36 Crores, out of which KIIFB has contributed INR 34.75 crores. The project was implemented by Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE). Financial assistance was provided by Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB).
- Which organization released the report titled “Beaten or Broken? Informality and COVID-19 in South Asia”?
1) International Monetary Fund
2) United Nations Children’s Fund
3) World Bank
4) International Labour Organization
5) International Atomic Energy Agency
Answer-3) World Bank
According to the World Bank Report titled “Beaten or Broken? Informality and COVID-19 in South Asia” the closure of schools due to COVID-19 pandemic in India will cause a loss of USD 400 Billion in Country’s Future Earnings, in addition to learning losses. The report has been jointly prepared by the joint product of Office of Chief Economist for the South Asia Region (SARCE) and Macroeconomics, Trade and Investment (MTI) Global Practice.
- Which is the 1st country in the world to approve the use of drought-resistant genetically modified (GMO) wheat?
Argentina formally became the first country in the world to approve the use of drought-resistant genetically modified (GMO) wheat, prompting fierce criticism by the country’s massive export agriculture industry.
- India along with which country agreed to advance bilateral cooperation in the fight against the COVID-19 with emphasis on technological cooperation and tests?
India and Israel today agreed to continue and advance bilateral cooperation in the fight against the coronavirus with emphasis on technological cooperation and tests. Prime Minister Narendra Modi today spoke with his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu. Both the leaders agreed to hold a digital conference on innovation in the field of solar energy. This will jointly achieve more inexpensive solutions that will benefit the economies of both countries and the entire world.
- India to overtake China as world’s largest LPG residential market by which year?
India is expected to overtake China as the world’s largest cooking gas LPG residential sector market by 2030 according to Wood Mackenzie.
- PM Modi launched a physical distribution of property cards under SVAMITVA scheme recently. The SVAMITVA is the central sector scheme of which ministry?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Health and Family Affairs
3) Ministry of Social justice and Empowerment
4) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
5) Ministry of Panchayati Raj
Answer-5) Ministry of Panchayati Raj
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a physical distribution of property cards, a legal document of owning their houses under the Survey of Villages Abadi and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas (SVAMITVA) scheme over a virtual platform. This will support to make rural India self-sufficient. Survey of Villages Abadi and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas (SVAMITVA), a central government scheme that aims to provide an integrated property validation solution for rural India. It is a Central Sector Scheme of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, which was launched by the Prime Minister on National Panchayati Raj Day, April 24, 2020.
- EXIM bank of India has credited $310 million to which country to finance repowering of Hwange Thermal Power Station?
5) South Africa
Export-Import (Exim) bank of India on behalf of the Government of India supported Line of Credit (LoC) of USD 310 million to the Republic of Zimbabwe to finance repowering of Hwange Thermal Power Station. For this purpose, Exim Bank had entered into an agreement with the Government of the Republic of Zimbabwe on February 24, 2020. The agreement under the LoC is effective from September 30, 2020.
- Name the organization which signed MoU with National Supercomputing Mission (NSM) host institutes to establish supercomputing infrastructure in India.
1) Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC)
2) Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
3) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
4) National Informatics Centre (NIC)
5) National Development Centre (NDC)
Answer-1) Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC)
The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) With the National Supercomputing Mission (NSM) Host Institutes to establish supercomputing infrastructure with assembly and manufacturing in India.
- Name the chief minister of Tamil Nadu who has signed 14 MoUs worth Rs 10,055 crore recently.
1) Hemant Soren
2) Neiphiu Rio
3) Edappadi K Palaniswami
4) Sarbananda Sonowal
5) Nitish Kumar
Answer-3) Edappadi K Palaniswami
Edappadi K. Palaniswami, Chief Minister(CM) of TamilNadu signed 14 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) worth Rs 10,055 crore in investments, that is expected to generate employment opportunities for about 7,000 people. Of these 14 MoUs, 10 were exchanged physically and the remaining 4 were exchanged online.
- Who has launched an environmental award to support climate change named “Earthshot Prize”?
1) Prince William
2) David Attenborough
3) Prince Charles
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 2) and 3)
Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
Britain’s Prince William, Duke of Cambridge along with Broadcaster and Naturalist Sir David Attenborough launched the Earthshot Prize, a new environmental prize with an aim to encourage change and support to repair the planet in the next 10 years (2030).
- How many beaches in India have been awarded with ‘Blue Flag’ certification by Denmark based Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) recently (October 2020)?
Eight Beaches of India have been awarded “BLUE FLAG” by Denmark based Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). India became the First Country to be awarded the Coveted International Blue Flag certification for 8 beaches in one attempt. It was selected by an International Jury consisting of eminent members from United Nations Economic Programme (UNEP), United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), FEE & International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).List of 8 beaches:
Beach State Shivrajpur Gujarat Ghoghla Diu Kasarkod Karnataka Padubidri Karnataka Kappad Kerala Rushikonda Andhra Pradesh Golden Beach Odisha Radhanagar Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Which Indian naval ship was declared as best ship in fleet award function 2020?
1) INS Arihant
2) INS Kora
3) INS Sahyadri
4) Both 2) and 3)
5) Both 1) and 2)
Answer-4) Both 2) and 3)
Indian Navy Ship(INS) Sahyadri and INS Kora were awarded the Best Ship trophies among the Capital Ships and Corvettes & similar classes of ships respectively. The awards were presented at the Fleet Award Function (FAF) 2020 organised by the Indian Navy at Visakhapatnam to mark the successful performance of the Operational Cycle of the Eastern Fleet. The FAF is organised every year to mark the resilience and perseverance of Indian Navy personnels appointed onboard ships of Poorvi Beda or Sword Arm of Eastern Naval Command (ENC).
- Paul R. Milgrom & Robert B. Wilson won the 2020 Nobel prize in which field?
Professor Göran K. Hansson, Secretary General of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences announced the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences or Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2020 jointly to 2 American economists namely, Paul R. Milgrom and Robert B. Wilson for “improvements to auction theory and inventions of new auction formats”.
- What is India’s rank in 3rd edition of Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index released by Oxfam and Development Finance International (DFI)?
India has been ranked 129 out of 158 countries in the Third Edition of Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index released by Oxfam. According to the report, India has spent only 4 percent of its budget on health during the Pandemic, which is the Fourth Lowest in the world. The report Fighting Inequality in the time of COVID-19: Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index has been prepared by Oxfam and Development Finance International (DFI).CRI Index 2020 Overall Ranking:
Country CRI Ranking India 129 Norway 1 Denmark 2 Germany 3
- Which is India’s 1st indigenously developed cruise missile?
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) launched the Nirbhay Cruise Missile from Odisha’s test facility, the mission was aborted due to technical snag. It was the trial of the Indigenous Technology Cruise Missile (ITCM). It is powered by a solid rocket booster developed by DRDO’s Advanced Systems Laboratory. Nirbhay is India’s first indigenously developed Cruise Missile.
- Who has won women’s singles title in 124th edition of French open/Roland Garros (Rafael Nadal won Men’s singles title for 13th time)?
1) Sofia Kenin
2) Iga Swiatek
3) Timea Babos
4) Alexa Guarachi
5) Kristina Mladenovic
Answer-2) Iga Swiatek
The 124th Edition of French Open (also known as Roland Garros) took place at the Roland Garros Stadium, Paris, France from 27th September – 11th October, 2020. The French Open is a Clay Court Tennis Tournament. Rafael Nadal (Spain) defeated Novak Djokovic (Serbia) to clinch his 13th French Open title. With the French Open win, Rafael Nadal equalled Roger Federer’s all-time men’s record of 20 Grand Slams. He became the Second Man and Fourth Player to win 20 Grand Slams. Iga Swiatek (Poland) defeated Sofia Kenin (United States of America – USA) to win the 2020 French Open Women’s Title. This is Swiatek’s Maiden Grand Slam Title and she is the first Polish Tennis Player to win a Grand Slam. She became the first player born in the 21st Century (Both Male & Female) to win a Grand Slam Singles Title.French Open 2020 Winners:
Category Winner Runner-up Men’s Singles Rafael Nadal (Spain) Novak Djokovic (Serbia) Women’s Singles Iga Swiatek (Poland) Sofia Kenin (USA) Men’s Doubles Kevin Krawietz (Germany), Andreas Mies (Germany) Mate Pavic (Croatia), Bruno Soares (Brazil) Women’s Doubles Timea Babos (Hungary), Kristina Mladenovic (France) Alexa Guarachi (Chile), Desirae Krawczyk (USA)
- Who has won 2020 Eifel Grand Prix?
1) Charles Leclerc
2) Lewis Hamilton
3) Valtteri Bottas
4) Sebastian Vettel
5) Max Verstappen
Answer-2) Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes Driver Lewis Hamilton (Britain) won the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix held at Nurburgring, Germany. With this win, Lewis Hamilton equalled Michael Schumacher’s All-time record of 91 Grand prix victories.
- Robert Lewandowski who is in news recently belongs to which sport?
Robert Lewandowski (Poland) who represents the club Bayern Munich has been named as the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Men’s Player of the Year 2020. He finished ahead of Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City) & Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich). It is an association football award given to footballers playing for men’s football clubs in Europe. It is given for performances in both club and national team competitions.
- What is the new motto of All India Football Federation (AIFF)?
1) ‘Team India. Above All’
2) ‘Rise as One’
3) ‘One Team. One Dream’
4) ‘Indian Football. Forward Together’
5) None of the Above
Answer-4) ‘Indian Football. Forward Together’
All India Football Federation (AIFF) – the apex body for Football in India has announced the launch of a new motto – ‘Indian Football. Forward Together’. The motto reflects the core values of the organization – passion, respect, leadership, teamwork, integrity, professionalism and inclusivity.
- Carlton Chapman who passed away recently was associated with which sport?
Carlton Chapman, former Indian football captain passed away at the age of 49 in a private hospital at Bengaluru, Karnataka due to heart attack. He was born on 13th April 1971 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- B. Vijaya Reddy who passed away in October 2020 was a renowned ________.
1) Freedom Fighter
2) Film Director
4) Social Activist
5) None of the Above
Answer-2) Film Director
Veteran film-maker B. Vijaya Reddy, known as Vijay in the Kannada film industry passed away due to cardiac arrest in a private hospital in Chennai, Tamil Nadu at the age of 84. He was born on 15th July 1936 in Tadepalligudem, West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. He floated a production house, Vijaya Shekhar Productions with another director V. Somashekhar and went on to produce several films.
- What is the theme of International Day of the girl child 2020 observed on October 11 (annually)?
1) “EmPOWER Girls: Emergency response and resilience planning”
2) “With Her: A Skilled GirlForce”
3) “My Voice, Our Equal Future”
4) “GirlForce: Unscripted and Unstoppable”
5) “Innovating for Girls’ Education”
Answer-3) “My Voice, Our Equal Future”
The United Nations(UN) International Day of the Girl Child is observed annually on October 11 to recognize the rights of the girls and to promote their empowerment and the fulfilment of their human rights. The day also highlights the need to address the challenges faced by them around the world. This year (2020), commemorates the 25 years of adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, the global agenda for advancing the rights and empowerment of women and girls, everywhere. Theme of International Day of the Girl Child 2020– “My Voice, Our Equal Future”.
- The theme of World Arthritis Day (WAD) 2020 is “It’s in Your Hands, Take Action”. When was WAD observed annually?
1) October 11
2) October 10
3) October 9
4) October 13
5) October 12
Answer-5) October 12
World Arthritis Day (WAD) is annually observed across the globe on 12th October to create awareness about rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs) and to share information and support the RMDs patients and their caregivers. The first World Arthritis day was observed on 12th October 1996. The theme of 2020 World Arthritis Day(WAD) is “It’s in Your Hands, Take Action”. This world day is managed by the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR).
- When was World Obesity Day 2020 observed on ________ (2020’s theme – “The Roots of Obesity Run Deep”).
1) 11th October
2) 5th August
3) 15th May
4) 4th March
5) 29th September
Answer-4) 4th March
The World Obesity Day was annually celebrated on 11th October till 2019. The day was relaunched as the new Unified World Obesity Day on 4th March 2020. The World Obesity day aims to create and raise awareness, encourage advocacy and improve policies on obesity. The first World Obesity Day was observed on 11th October 2015. The theme of World Obesity Day 2020 – 4th March 2020 was “The Roots of Obesity Run Deep”.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Sajjangarh wildlife sanctuary is located in which state?
4) Uttar Pradesh
A special drive to uproot the invasive lantana bushes in the famous Sajjangarh wildlife sanctuary in Rajasthan’s Udaipur district has helped in ecological restoration of grasslands and saved biodiversity. The month-and-a-half-long campaign was accompanied by the plantation of native species on the cleared patches of land. ‘Mission lantana’ The small sanctuary in the southern Aravalli hills, spread over 5.19 sq. km, is home to a large number of herbivores. Lantana camara, a thicket forming shrub, has covered vast tracts of land in the sanctuary, stopping the natural light and nutrition for flora and fauna.
- When was Indian Foreign Service Day observed annually?
1) 11 August
2) 8 November
3) 7 December
4) 9 October
5) 16 July
Answer-4) 9 October
The Indian Foreign Service Day was celebrated on 9 October 2020. The IFS is the corps of Indian civil servants who serve in the ministry of External Affairs and represent the country abroad as diplomats.
- Who is the current minister of Panchayati Raj?
1) Prakash Javadekar
2) Narendra Modi
3) Pralhad Patel
4) Harsh Vardhan
5) Narendra Singh Tomar
Answer-5) Narendra Singh Tomar
The Ministry of Panchayati Raj is a branch of the Government of India. Narendra Singh Tomar is the Minister of Rural Development, Agriculture and Farmers Welfare & Panchayati Raj and Food Processing Industries (Additional Charge).
- Who is the Managing Director of EXIM bank of India?
1) David Rasquinha
2) S Krishnan
3) Ajit Kumar Das
4) Mahesh Kumar Jain
5) Dinabandhu Mohapatra
Answer-1) David Rasquinha
David Rasquinha is the present Managing director of EXIM bank of India.
- Radhanagar beach is located in which UT?
5) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Answer-5) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Recently, Radhanagar beach has been awarded “BLUE FLAG” by Denmark based Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) along with 7 other beaches.