AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 11 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- PM Modi recently inaugurated submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) connecting Chennai and which city?
3) Port Blair
Answer-3) Port Blair
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated and dedicate to the Nation, submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) connecting Chennai, Tamil Nadu and Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands (A&NI) through video conferencing. This connectivity will enable delivery of faster mobile and landline telecom services to A&NI, at par with other parts of India. The Submarine OFC cable has been laid at a cost of about Rs 1224 Crore. The foundation stone for 2,312-kilometer Chennai – Andaman and Nicobar Islands (CANI) was laid by PM Narendra Modi on 30th December 2018 at Port Blair.
- PM Modi launched the Central Sector Scheme (CSS) of financing facility under the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund worth _______ recently.
1) 1 Lakh Crore
2) 25,000 Crore
3) 50,000 Crore
4) 5 Lakh Crore
5) 75,000 Crore
Answer-1) 1 Lakh Crore
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Central Sector Scheme (CSS) of financing facility under the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund of Rs. 1 lakh crore via video conferencing. In this regard, the first sanction of over Rs. 1000 Crore was made to over 2,280 farmer societies. The duration of the scheme is 10 years i.e. from FY2020 to FY2029. Notably, Rs. 1 Lakh Crore will be sanctioned in partnership with multiple lending institutions; 11 of the 12 Public Sector Banks have already signed MOUs with the Department of Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers Welfare (DAC&FW).
- Union ministers Piyush Goyal &Pralhad Joshi has dedicated the railway museum at which city to the nation?
Piyush Vedprakash Goyal, Union Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry and Pralhad Joshi, Union Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, Coal & Mines dedicated the Railway Museum at Hubballi to the Nation in the event over a video conference presided by Suresh AngadiChannabasappa, Minister of State for Railways. The Railways Museum at Hubballi is the first of its kind in North Karnataka and the second in the Southern Western Railways after the historic Rail Museum at Mysuru.
- Who inaugurated the RashtriyaSwachhata Kendra (RSK) an interactive experience centre on the Swachh Bharat Mission?
1) S Jaishankar
2) Rajnath Singh
3) Nitin Gadkari
4) Amit Shah
5) Narendra Modi
Answer-5) Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the RashtriyaSwachhata Kendra (RSK) an interactive experience centre on the Swachh Bharat Mission, at the Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti at Rajghat, New Delhi in the presence of Gajendra Singh Shekhavat, Union Minister of Jal Shakti and Rattan Lal Kataria, Minister of State (MoS) of Jal Shakti. He dedicated the RSK as a permanent tribute to Mahatma Gandhi.PM Narendra Modi also launched ‘GandagiMukt Bharat’, a special week long campaign from August 8, 2020 for swachhata in the run up to Independence Day, during which each day till 15th August.
- The Punjab Cricket Association decided to name its new stadium in the memory of whom?
1) Maharaja Ranjit Singh
2) Maharaja Kharak Singh
3) Maharaja Yadavindra Singh
4) Maharaja Nau Nihal Singh
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) Maharaja Yadavindra Singh
Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) is set to name its new stadium in Mullanpur, New Chandigarh, Punjab after the late Maharaja Yadavindra Singh. PCA President Rajinder Gupta proposed the idea to name the stadium and it had been approved.
- Which is 1st municipal corporation in India that provides forest land rights certificates to urban people?
On 9th August 2020, on the occasion of International Day of World’s Indigenous Peoples Chief Minister (CM) of Chhattisgarh, Bhupesh Baghel initiated the distribution of forest land right certificates to four beneficiaries of Jagdalpur over a virtual platform. The Municipal corporation of Jagdalpur became the first municipal corporation in India to provide forest land right certificates to the people of urban region.
- The chief minister of which state has launched the anti-bullying campaign of Faridabad Police (part of teen age police initiative)?
4) Andhra Pradesh
Manohar Lal Khattar, Chief Minister of Haryana launched the anti-bullying campaign of the FAridabad Police over their Instagram, Facebook and Twitter page with username @FBDpolice to report any form of bullying in the schools, colleges, neighbourhood, home and workplace and to implement the targeted programs to counter bullying.The campaign initiative is a part of the ‘Teen Age Police’ programme of Faridabad Police.
- Under which section of IBC, 2016, the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India amended the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) Regulations, 2016?
1) Section 280
2) Section 360
3) Section 300
4) Section 320
5) Section 240
Answer-5) Section 240
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (t) of sub-section (1) of section 196 read with section 240 of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (31 of 2016), the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India amended the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) Regulations, 2016 by Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) (Fourth Amendment) Regulations, 2020.
- Name the country which declares emergency over oil spill from grounded ship.
5) Sri Lanka
The Indian Ocean island of Mauritius declared a “state of environmental emergency” after a Japanese-owned ship that ran aground offshore days ago began spilling tons of fuel. Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth announced the development as satellite images showed a dark slick spreading in the turquoise waters near environmental areas that the government called “very sensitive.”
- How much was the amount that was transferred to farmers under PM-KISAN as 6th instalment recently?
1) 25,000 crore
2) 21,000 crore
3) 15,000 crore
4) 17,000 crore
5) 11,000 crore
Answer-4) 17,000 crore
PM Narendra Modi also released the 6th instalment of funds of Rs. 17,000 crore to 8.5 crore farmers under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojna (PM-KISAN) scheme. With this transfer, the scheme has provided over 90,000 Crore to 10 Crore farmers since its launch on 01 December 2018. The scheme has also been instrumental in supporting farmers during the Covid-19 pandemic, through the release of nearly Rs 22,000 Crore to aid the farmers during the lockdown period.
- How much is the maximum loan amount under the Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS), a credit guarantee scheme for MSME?
1) 10 Crore
2) 5 Crore
3) 2 Crore
4) 1 Crore
5) 25 Crore
Answer-1) 10 Crore
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced that the Central Government have extended its Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS), credit guarantee scheme for the micro, small and medium enterprises(MSME), to cover the loans given to the large firms, self-employed professionals and people who have taken a loan for business purpose.The turnover limits to avail the loan under the scheme was increased to annual turnover of Rs.250 crore and outstanding loans up to Rs.50 crores from annual turnover up to Rs.100 crore with outstanding loans of up to Rs.25 crore.The maximum loan amount under the scheme is also increased to Rs.10 crores from Rs.5 crores.
- Which state government has announced the launch of “Indira Van Mitan Yojana” to support forest dwellers?
2) Madhya Pradesh
On 9th August 2020, In an event of International Day of World’s Indigenous Peoples Chief Minister (CM) of Chhattisgarh, Bhupesh Baghel announced the launch of “Indira Van Mitan Yojana”, an initiative to support the forest dwellers of Chhattisgarh to achieve self-reliance. The scheme aims to add around 19 lakh families from the scheduled areas of Chhattisgarh and provide self-employment opportunities to the tribal forest dwellers.
- Which world bank branch planned to invest Rs. 75 Crore in Endiya Partners Fund II?
1) International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
2) International Development Association
3) International Finance Corporation
4) Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
5) International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes
Answer-3) International Finance Corporation
The International Financial Corporation(IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, has committed to invest Rs 75 crore (about USD 10million) in Endiya Partners Fund II. In addition to this, IFC has also committed an additional USD 10 million for direct co-investments.
- Name the bank which collaborated with InstaReM to enhance the existing outbound remittance service offerings from India.
1) CSB Bank
2) IndusInd Bank
3) RBL Bank
4) ICICI Bank
5) SBM Bank
Answer-5) SBM Bank
SBM Bank (India) Limited (SBM Bank India)has collaborated with InstaReM to enhance the existing outbound remittance service offerings from India, including introduction of new remittance corridors, increased frequency of transactions for outbound Transactions and improved delivery timings for transfers.
- Which organisation has launched ‘nth Rewards’, business intelligence and analytics enabled omni-channel multi-branded loyalty platform?
1) National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI)
2) Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
3) National Housing Bank (NHB)
4) Industrial Finance Corporation of India (IFCI)
5) India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL)
Answer-1) National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI)
National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched ‘nth Rewards’, business intelligence and analytics enabled omni-channel multi-branded loyalty platform. This platform enables users to earn ‘nth’ (denoting infinite possibilities) points through various bank transactions and redeem them instantly on various products, such as e-vouchers, donations, hotel and flight bookings. The platform aims to become a one stop shop for the bank which will enable them to retain and grow their customer base.
- Which state/UT signed Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with IIT Delhi to set up a Geographical Information System (GIS) based platform?
Bihar State Pollution Control Board (BSPCB) has signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi to set up a Geographical Information System (GIS) based platform for air quality management in Bihar.MoA has been signed on the backdrop of Government of India’s National Clean Air Programme (NCAP).
- Name the company which signed MoU with Andhra Pradesh government to set up its centre in Vishakhapatnam.
Andhra Pradesh(AP) Government signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with US based, The Boston Group(TBG) to set up a facility at Visakhapatnam dedicated to Research and Development (R&D) in the Information Technology sector with focus on learning platforms and also leveraging advanced technologies like artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML) and cybersecurity.
- Walter Roger Martos Ruiz succeeds Pedro Cateriano as the Prime Minister of which country?
President of Peru(Republic of Peru) Martin Vizcarra appointed Walter Roger Martos Ruiz, the former defense minister and retired army general, as the country’s new Prime Minister. He succeeds Pedro Álvaro CaterianoBellido . The swearing-in ceremony took place at the Government Palace in Lima.
- Mohamed Ould Bilal was appointed as the 16th Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania recently. What is the capital of Mauritania?
5) None of the Above
Mauritania’s President Mohamed Ould Cheikh El Ghazouani has named Mohamed Ould Bilal as the 16th Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania on August 06, 2020.Mohamed Ould Bilal belongs to the political party of Union for the Republic (UPR). He has served as Political Advisor and headed several state agencies.The capital and currency of Mauritania are Nouakchott & Ouguiya respectively.
- The capital India finance has appointed Harsh Kumar Bhanwala as executive chairman recently. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala is the former Chairman of which organisation?
1) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
2) Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
3) National Housing Bank (NHB)
4) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
5) India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL)
Answer-1) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
Financial Services Platform, Capital India Finance Limited (CIFL) has appointed Ex-NABARD Chief Harsh Kumar Bhanwala as its Executive Chairman. Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala took charge as Executive Chairman from August 06, 2020.
- How many defence weapons and military platforms were restricted from import by Department of Military Affairs of Ministry of Defence?
Department of Military Affairs (DMA), Ministry of Defence (MoD) decided to restrict import of 101 weapons and military platforms, the embargo on which is planned to be progressively implemented between 2020 and 2024, in order to boost indigenous defence manufacturing on the lines of “Atmanirbhar Bharat”. The announcement for the same was made by Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh. In this regard, the Defence Industry will receive contracts worth almost Rs 4 lakh crore within the next five to seven years. Of these, items worth almost Rs 1,30,000 crore each are anticipated for the Army and the Air Force, while items worth almost Rs 1,40,000 crore are anticipated by the Navy over the same period. The focus behind this decision is to adopt the technologies designed and developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to meet the requirements of the Armed Forces in the coming years.
- Which IIT collaborated with Agnys Waste Management Private Limited to develop indigenous seed balls named ‘BEEG’?
1) IIT Ahmedabad
2) IIT Madras
3) IIT Kanpur
4) IIT Calcutta
5) IIT Delhi
Answer-3) IIT Kanpur
Indian Institutes of Technology(IIT) Kanpur in collaboration with Agnys Waste Management Private Limited (start-up at IIT Kanpur) developed indigenous seed balls named ‘BEEG’ (Biocompost Enriched Eco Friendly Globule). This will help to safeguard people and farmers in plantations during the COVID-19 times. The initiative is guided by Prof. J. Ramkumar. The initiative provides employment opportunities to unemployed workers and gardeners(due to the COVID-19 lockdown).
- Find the person who has won Emirates Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix 2020.
1) Charles Leclerc
2) Lewis Hamilton
3) Valtteri Bottas
4) Sebastian Vettel
5) Max Verstappen
Answer-5) Max Verstappen
Red Bull’s 22 years old driver Max Emilian Verstappen from Netherland had won F1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at the Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, United Kingdom and became the first non-Mercedes driver to win a race in the 2020.This race was officially called as Emirates Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix 2020. The race was the fifth round of the rescheduled 2020 Formula One World Championship. Lewis Hamilton finished second and Valtteri Bottas finished third.
- The books authored by PS Sreedharan Pillai named ‘Corona Kavithakal’, ‘Republic Day 2020’ and ‘Thus Speaks the Governor’ were released recently. The PS Sreedharan Pillai is the Governor of which state?
3) Arunachal Pradesh
Books authored by Mizoram Governor PS Sreedharan Pillai titled ‘Corona Kavithakal’ was released by Mizoram Chief Minister Zoramthanga. Meanwhile ‘Republic Day 2020’ and ‘Thus Speaks the Governor’ were released by Gauhati High Court Chief Justice AjaiLamba through a video message. These books are part of his recently penned books(at least 13), which include collections of poems in English and Malayalam in English and Malayalam since March i.e., during the lockdown.
- Laishram Manitombi Singh who passed away recently is associated with which sport?
5) Motor Racing
Former Indian Defender (Football) and former Mohun Bagan club captain Laishram Manitombi Singh was suffering from a prolonged illness and breathed his last on August 09, 2020 in his native village near Imphal, Manipur.
- When was world bio fuel day observed annually?
1) August 17
2) August 10
3) July 19
4) September 12
5) August 24
Answer-2) August 10
World Biofuel Day is observed annually on August 10 to raise awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels. The day honours the research experiments by Sir Rudolf Christian Karl Diesel(inventor of the diesel engine) who ran an engine with peanut oil in 1893. In India, the day has been celebrated by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas since 2015.On the occasion of the day, a webinar was organized by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, with the theme “Biofuels towards Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous People or world tribal day was observed annually on August 9. What is the 2020’s theme for the day?
1) “COVID-19 and rights of Indigenous people”
2) “COVID-19 and save Indigenous people”
3) “COVID-19 and indigenous peoples’ resilience”
4) “COVID-19 and save Indigenous Languages”
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) “COVID-19 and indigenous peoples’ resilience”
The United Nations(UN’s) International Day of the World’s Indigenous People is annually observed on 9th August by the Secretariat of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues with the UN and its member states to promote the rights of the indigenous population around the world. The International Day of the World’s Indigenous People also known as World Tribal Day. The First International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples was celebrated on 9th August 1995. The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples 2020 is celebrated under the theme – “COVID-19 and indigenous peoples’ resilience”.
- What is the codename of atomic bomb which was dropped on 9th August 1945 at Nagasaki, Japan?
1) Big Boy
2) Fat Boy
3) Fat Man
4) Big Man
5) Deadly Man
Answer-3) Fat Man
The 9th August of every year is observed as Nagasaki day all over the world to promote peace and to create awareness about the hazards of nuclear weapons. The 9th August 2020, Marks the 75th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki, Japan.The United States dropped the Atomic bomb code named “Fat Man” over the city of Nagasaki, Japan which instantly killed around 74,000 people.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Genoa San Giorgio Bridge which is in news recently is located in which country?
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte of Italy inaugurated the Renzo Piano–designed Viadotto Genova-San Giorgio (Saint George Bridge), a 3,500-foot-long concrete and steel viaduct carrying four lanes of the A10 motorway across the Polcevera River in the northwesterncity of Genoa. The bridge was collapsed on August 14, 2018 and claimed 43 lives and it was reconstructed now.
- Indira Gandhi memorial tulip garden, the Asia’s largest tulip garden is located in which city?
With a new high-tech cold storage facility for safekeeping of delicate tulip bulbs, Srinagar’s world-famous Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip garden is ready for next season’s bloom. Situated on the foothills of the Zabarwan Range with an overview of Dal Lake, the garden is Asia’s largest tulip garden and was opened in 2007 with the aim to boost floriculture and tourism in Kashmir Valley.
- Which island is named as world’s most plant rich island?
2) New Guinea
Answer-2) New Guinea
The researchers team led by Dr Rodrigo Cámara-Leret from the University of Zurich concludes New Guinea has 13,634 species of plants from 1742 genera and 264 families. That gives New Guinea, the world’s second largest island, the highest plant diversity of any island on Earth, surpassing Madagascar (11,832 species), Borneo (11,165 species), and Sumatra (8,391 species). The study was published in Journal nature.
- Lengpui Airport which is in news recently is located in which state?
3) Arunachal Pradesh
Tabletop airport is an airport located and built on top of a plateau or hilly surface, with one or both ends of the runway overlooking a drop. The airports in the country which would count as “tabletops”, are namely Lengpui (Mizoram), Shimla and Kullu (Himachal Pradesh), Pakyong (Sikkim), Mangaluru (Karnataka), Kozhikode and Kannur (both Kerala). Recently, On August 7, a Boeing 737 of Air India Express (the low cost subsidiary of national carrier Air India) on a special ‘Vande Bharat’ repatriation flight from Dubai to Kozhikode overshot the runway.
- Name the country which is going to host the multi nation military exercise named ‘Kavkaz 2020’ or ‘Caucasus-2020’.
India will take part in the Russian Kavkaz 2020 strategic command-post exercise next month. A small tri-service contingent will take part in the exercise to be held in Astrakhan, Russia.The Kavkaz 2020 – also referred to as Caucasus-2020 – is an exercise aimed at assessing the ability of the armed forces to ensure military security in Russia’s southwest. The invitees also include China and Pakistan, apart from other member-states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.
- Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport is located in which city?
Recently, CISF takes over security of Kushok Bakula RimpocheeLeh airport. The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) on Wednesday took over the security of the Leh airport, Ladakh the country’s highest-altitude commercial aerodrome in the newly created Union Territory of Ladakh.
- The capital of Peru is Lima. What is the currency of Peru?
The capital and currency of Peru are Lima and Peruvian Sol respectively.