We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 20 October 2023, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2023 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs October 2023 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2023 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
Highlights of 9th G20 Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit hosted by Parliament of IndiaThe 9th Group20 (G20) Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit (P20) was held at the India International Convention and Expo Centre(IICC) – Yashobhoomi at Dwarka, New Delhi, Delhi from 13th to 14th October 2023.
- This was the first P20 summit hosted by India in cooperation with the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) under the broader framework of India’s G20 Presidency.
- The P20 Summit was inaugurated by Narendra Modi, Prime Minister(PM) of India at IICC on 13th October 2023.
On the first day of the 9th P20 Summit (13th October 2023), the Presiding officers unanimously adopted a Joint Statement under the Chairmanship of Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla. This also exemplifies the spirit of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam.
About Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU):
President – Duarte Pacheco
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
Established in – 1889
Members – 179 Members and 14 Associate Members
>> Read Full News
IICA and NICF signed MoU to Synergise Professional Capabilities
The Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA) and National Institute of Communication Finance (NICF) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to promote the exchange of knowledge and resource between these institutions for conducting research, training capacity building and advocacy.
i.The MoU covers a wide range of topics, including finance, restructuring, turnaround, competition law, corporate law, corporate governance, Insolvency and Bankruptcy law, leadership, organisational effectiveness, telecommunication policies, and spectrum auction.
ii.The collaboration also aims to develop the skills and knowledge of Indian Posts and Telecom Accounts and Finance Service (IP&TAFS) officers.
About Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA):
i.IICA is an autonomous institution established by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA).
ii.It was registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
Director General & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Praveen Kumar
Headquarters – Gurugram, Haryana
Established in – 2008
About National Institute of Communication Finance (NICF):
i.NICF is high level training institute which offers training to Indian Posts and Telecom Accounts and Finance Service (IP&TAFS) officers.
ii.It works under Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications.
Director General(DG)- Awadhesh Kumar
Headquarters – New Delhi, Delhi
Established in – 2007
WOAH Approves India’s Self-Declaration of Freedom from HPAIThe World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH) has approved India’s self-declaration of freedom from Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI), commonly known as bird flu, in certain poultry compartments (approved farms) in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, and Chhattisgarh.
- This recognition by WOAH signifies India’s dedication to international biosecurity standards.
- This recognition is composed to boost India’s poultry industry by enhancing the export potential of poultry products, such as meat and eggs.
- The self-declaration approved by WOAH coincided with World Egg Day on 13 October 2023.
About World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH):
Director-General– Dr Monique Éloit
Headquarters– Paris, France
Members – 183 Members (As of October 2023)
Founded in 1924 as the Office International des Epizooties (OIE), in May 2003 adopted the common name World Organisation for Animal Health.
>> Read Full News
Education Minster Dharmendra Pradhan launched NCERT’s web portal “Apna Chandrayaan’ for studentsUnion Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, the Ministry of Education(MoE), launched a web portal ‘Apna Chandrayaan’ for school students in New Delhi, Delhi. The web portal was developed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
- He also launched 10 special modules offering a comprehensive perspective on the Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) Chandrayaan-3 mission for students.
- The modules encompass scientific, technological, and social aspects as well as the emotional journey and team spirit of the scientists involved in the mission.
Note: NCERT is an autonomous organisation under the aegis of the Department of School Education & Literacy (DoSEL), Ministry of Education(MoE).
About Ministry of Education:
Union Ministry– Dharmendra Pradhan (Rajya Sabha- Madhya Pradesh)
Ministers of State– Annpurna Devi; Dr. Subhas Sarkar; Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh
>> Read Full News
BIS Approves India’s First-ever Indigenous AC & DC Combined Charging Connector Standard for LEVsThe Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the National Standard Body of India, has approved IS17017 (Part 2 / Sec 7): 2023, India’s first-ever indigenously developed Alternating Current (AC) and Direct Current (DC) Combined Charging connector standard for Light Electric Vehicles (LEVs).
- It is also the world’s 1st charging standard that combines AC and DC charging for small EVs, such as electric scooters, motorcycles, three-wheelers, and quadricycles, and is designed and engineered in India.
- The new standard is based on Ather Energy’s charging connector.
About Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS):
Director-General– Pramod Kumar Tiwari
President– Piyush Goyal
Headquarters– New Delhi, Delhi
Founded on 1 April 1987
BIS was established under the BIS Act 2016
>> Read Full News
Amendment to Aircraft Rules, 1937: Validity of Pilot License increased from 5 to 10 yrs On 10th October 2023, the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) notified the amendment of the Aircraft Rules, 1937, which will be called as “Aircraft (First Amendment) Rules, 2023”. Under this amendment, following the revision of Rule 39C, the validity of the Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) and Commercial Pilot License (CPL) holders has been increased from 5 years to 10 years.
- This aims to reduce administrative burden on pilots and aviation authorities like Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), promoting a more streamlined and efficient licensing process.
- The amendment is in line with the government’s efforts to further improve the ease of doing business in the aviation sector.
About Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA):
Union Minister– Jyotiraditya M. Scindia (Rajya Sabha Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State– General (Retd.) Vijay Kumar Singh (Constituency- Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh)
>> Read Full News
DOLR & NRSC Signed MoU to Monitor WDC-PMKSY 2.0
The Department of Land Resources (DOLR) and the National Remote Sensing Center (NRSC) have signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to monitor Watershed Development Component of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (WDC-PMKSY 2.0) using geo-spatial applications.
- The event also winessed the launch of mobile application DRISHTI 2.0 and web-portal SRISHTI 2.0 for WDC-PMKSY 2.0.
i.NRSC will provide DOLR with
- High-resolution satellite data for all the WDC 2.0 projects (across India)
- Customized software tools on Bhuvan for monitoring, online image comparison and visualization of project reports
- Customized Bhuvan web page Srishti for WDC-PMKSY 2.0
- Customized mobile application Drishti for field data collection and data transfer to Bhuvan
Note: WDC-PMKSY is one of the first schemes to harness the potential of space and remote sensing technology
Additional info: DOLR comes under Ministry of Rural Development(MoRD) and NRSC is one of the primary centres of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Department of Space (DOS)
MENA Climate Week 2023: Saudi Arabia Hosts Climate Event ahead of COP28 in DubaiMiddle East and North Africa (MENA) Climate Week 2023, took place from 8-12 October in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It is the 2nd of four Regional Climate Weeks held in 2023. MENA Climate Week is particularly significant as it precedes COP28, the UN Climate Change Conference scheduled to take place in Dubai from late November 2023.
MENA Climate Week was divided into 4 key areas of focus to address climate change
- Energy systems and industry
- Cities, urban and rural settlements, infrastructure, and transport
- Land, ocean, food, and water
- Societies, health, livelihoods, and economies.
i.India, Saudi Arabia sign MoU in the fields of Electrical Interconnections, Green and Clean Hydrogen and Supply Chains.
ii.India and Saudi Arabia decide to promote investment in New & Renewable Energy
PIF, SEC launch new Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Company.
iii.Saudi Awwal Bank is a ‘national champion’ at MENA Climate Week.
iv.World’s First Global Solutions Hub (GSH) Launched at MENA Climate Week in Saudi Arabia.
v.Saudi Arabia Announces Domestic Greenhouse Gas Credit Initiative.
>> Read Full News
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
FICCI Economic Outlook Survey Pegged Median GDP growth forecast for FY23-24 at 6.3%According to Economic Outlook Survey released by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), India’s annual median Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate for the financial year 2023-24 (FY2023-24) is projected at 6.3% with a minimum and maximum growth estimate of 6% and 6.6%, respectively.
i.The expected growth rate for agriculture and allied activities in FY23-24 is 2.7%, which is lower than the 4.0% growth rate reported in FY22-23.
- This is due to the El Niño effect, which has affected the spatial distribution of rainfall during the monsoon season.
ii.The industry and services sectors are expected to grow by 5.6% and 7.3%, respectively, in the FY23-24.
i.The expected growth rate will reach as high as 7.8% in first quarter(Q1) of the financial FY23-24.
ii.The growth rate will decrease to 6.1% and 6% for the second and third quarter (Q2 & Q3)respectively.
CPI based inflation forecast:
i.The median forecast for Consumer Price Index (CPI)-based inflation in 2023-24 is 5.5%, with a minimum and maximum range of 5.3% and 5.7%, respectively.
ii.CPI inflation rate will remain above the Reserve Bank of India(RBI)’s target level of 4±2 for Q3 & Q4 of FY 23-24
iii.Inflation may have peaked, but prices could still go up. Food prices could be volatile due to high cereal prices and the cancellation of the Black Sea grain deal. Oil prices are also high, which could contribute to inflation.
i.RBI is expected to maintain its policy repo rate at 6.5% until the end of the FY23-24.
ii.A cut in repo rate can be expected only by the end of Q1 or Q2 FY24-25.
i.The government’s focus on capital expenditure has attracted private investment and boosted economic growth.
- However, it will take some time to get a full-fledged momentum in investments.
ii.Any further recovery in private investment is expected to be driven by an increase in consumer spending, both domestically and internationally.
Economic Outlook Survey was conducted in the month of September 2023.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
MSDE Dharmendra Pradhan Launched IndiaSkills 2023-24 & Felicitates World Skills 2022 WinnersUnion Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) launched the IndiaSkills 2023-24, India’s most significant National Skill Competition program.
- He also felicitated the winners of the 46th WorldSkills Competition (WSC 2022 Special Edition – WSC2022SE), which was held between 7th September and 26th November 2022 across 15 countries.
- India secured 11th position in the WSC2022SE, with 2 Silver Medals, 3 Bronze Medals, and 13 Medallions for Excellence. In 2019, India held the 13th position.
About Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship:
Union Minister– Dharmendra Pradhan (Rajya Sabha Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State– Rajeev Chandrasekhar (Rajya Sabha Karnataka)
>> Read Full News
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
CCI approves merger of IDFC Ltd with IDFC FIRST Bank
Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the Scheme of Amalgamation of IDFC Limited(IDFCL) with IDFC FIRST Bank.
- The approval was granted under the Green Channel Route, which is a fast-track route for mergers and acquisitions that are unlikely to have any adverse impact on competition..
- IDFCL is a development finance institution(DFI) and the parent company of IDFC FIRST Bank.
The merger was granted according to Section 6(2) of the Competition Act, 2002 read with Regulations 5 and SA of the Competition Commission of India (Procedure in regard to the transactions of business relating to combinations) Regulations, 2011.
The amalgamation will be completed within FY23-24. IDFC FIRST Bank Limited was established in 2018 and headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Overview of 141st Session of the IOC held in Mumbai; 5 Additional Sports added in 2028 Summer Olympics The 141st Session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was hosted by India from October 15-17, 2023, in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The IOC’s Executive Board met during the session. The session facilitated interaction and the exchange of knowledge among diverse stakeholders in the sports arena.
- The 141st session of IOC was inaugurated by the Prime Minister (PM) of India Narendra Modi.
- This is the 2nd IOC Session hosted by India after 40 years. India hosted the 86th IOC session in New Delhi, Delhi in 1983.
i.IOC has suspended the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) for violating the Olympic charter with “immediate effect and until further notice” after it incorporated sports bodies from 4 territories annexed from Ukraine as its members.
ii.The 141st session of IOC approved the proposal of Los Angeles 2028 Organising Committee of Olympics and Paralympic Games for the inclusion of 5 additional sports including Cricket (T20-Twenty20), Softball/Baseball, flag football, lacrosse (sixes) and squash.
About International Olympic Committee (IOC):
President– Thomas Bach
Headquarters– Lausanne, Switzerland
>> Read Full News
BOOKS & AUTHORS
BlueKraft Digital Foundation launches book on PM Modi’s radio show ‘Mann ki Baat‘
BlueKraft Digital Foundation has launched a book on Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi’s monthly radio programme Mann ki Baat. The book has been titled ‘Igniting Collective Goodness: Mann Ki Baat @ 100’.
About the book:
i.The book captures the journey of Prime Minister Modi’s 100 episodes of Mann Ki Baat and its impact on Indian society.
ii.The book is published by Westland Publications Limited.
iii.This is the third book of Westland Publications in the series, which captures the journey of Mann ki Baat.
- The other two books are ‘Mann Ki Baat – A Social Revolution On Radio’ and ‘Mann Ki Baat – 50 Episodes Special Edition: A Social Revolution on Radio’ published in 2017 and 2019 respectively.
About Mann Ki Baat:
i.Mann Ki Baat is broadcast on All India Radio(AIR) and Doordarshan(DD) on the last Sunday of every month.
ii.The programme was launched on 3rd October 2014 and reached its 100th episode on 30th April 2023.
39th Raising Day of NSG – 16th October 2023National Security Guard (NSG) annually celebrate its Raising Day on 16th October to mark the establishment of NSG (also known as Black Cats) on 16th October 1984.
- 16th October 2023 marks the observance of 39th Raising Day of NSG.
i.In 1984, The Union Cabinet planned to create a Federal Contingency Force to act against. This paved a way for the formation of NSG.
- The National Security Guard was formally established through ‘National Security Guard Act, 1986’.
ii.It is a Federal Contingency Deployment Force for combating terrorist activities in any part of India.
iii.It operates under the Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA) with the motto ‘Sarvatra, Sarvottam, Suraksha’.
iv.They work with the basic philosophy of swift and speedy strike and immediate withdrawal from the theatre of action.
v.The NSG was modelled on the pattern of the Special Air Service (SAS) of the United Kingdom(UK) and Grenzschutzgruppe 9(GSG-9) of Germany.
vi.It has two complementary elements in the form of
- Special Action Group (SAG) – comprising Army personnel
- Special Ranger Groups (SRG) – comprising personnel from the Central Armed Police Forces/State Police Forces.
Notable Operations of NSG
i.Operation Black Thunder, Golden Temple Amritsar (Punjab) in April 1986
ii.Operation Cloud Burst was carried out by NSG in 1990 in Punjab
iii.Operation Vajra Shakti, Gandhinagar (Gujarat) in 2002
iv.Operation Chakravyuh, Chhattisgarh in 2006.
v.Operation Black Tornado in Mumbai on November 26, 2008.
vi.Operation Dhangu Suraksha, Pathankot in Punjab on January 2, 2016.
About National Security Guard (NSG)
Headquarters-New Delhi, Delhi
Established in – 1986
Director General- M A Ganapathy
Kati Bihu Celebrated Across Assam – 18th October 2023Kati Bihu, also known as Kongali bihu, is the annual Assamese festival celebrated on the first day of the Kati Month in the Assamese calendar, usually coincides with the mid-October.
- Kati Bihu is celebrated during the time of relocation of the rice sapling which is observed with great enthusiasm and fervor.
The 2023 Kati Bihu was celebrated on 18th October 2023.
- The 2022 Kati Bihu was celebrated on 18th Octobet 2022 and the 2024 Kati Bihu will be celebrated on 17th October 2024.
Significance of Kati Bihu:
i.The name Kati Bihu comes from the Assamese word “kati”, which means “to cut.”
ii.The word Kongali also means ‘poor’ which signifies the lack of food during the period and conveys a sense of simplicity.
iii.To celebrate the Kati Bihu, the people of Assam will light up the lamps outside their homes as well as in paddy fields in the evening praying for a better crop in the next season.
Bihu is a set of 3 important cultural festivals of Assam.
- ‘Magh Bihu’ is celebrated to mark the of harvesting season. Annually celebrated in the month of Magh (usually falls in the month of January)
- ‘Bohag Bihu’ is celebrated as the sowing festiva. Annually celebrated in the month of Bohag(usually falls in the month of April).
- ‘Kati Bihu’ is celebrated in the month of ‘Kati’ (falls in the month of October).
Chief Minister – Himanta Biswa Sarma
Governor- Gulab Chand Kataria
Festival – Baishagu, Ambubachi Mela
Stadium – Nehru Stadium, Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium (Sarusajai Stadium)
Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah Launched an Emblem to Mark Golden Jubilee of Renaming State
The Chief Minister(CM) of Karnataka, Siddaramaiah, unveiled an emblem of Karnataka Sambrama-50 in a programme organised by the Department of Kannada in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The launch of emblem marks the golden jubilee of the renaming of Mysore State as Karnataka in on 1st November, 1973.
The renaming of Mysore State as Karnataka was made by then Chief Minister (CM) D. Devaraj Urs.
Year long Celebration:
To mark 50 years of renaming the government of Karnataka decided to hold year-long celebrations from 1st November 2023 to 1st November 2024.
- The celebration will be titled “Hesarayitu Karnataka, Usiragali Kannada.”
Note: Karnataka observes 1st November as Karnataka Rajyothsava Day or Kannada Formation Day
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|Current Affairs 20 October 2023|
|Highlights of 9th G20 Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit hosted by Parliament of India|
|IICA and NICF signed MoU to Synergise Professional Capabilities|
|WOAH Approves India’s Self-Declaration of Freedom from HPAI|
|Education Minster Dharmendra Pradhan launched NCERT’s web portal “Apna Chandrayaan’ for students|
|BIS Approves India’s First-ever Indigenous AC & DC Combined Charging Connector Standard for LEVs|
|Amendment to Aircraft Rules, 1937: Validity of Pilot License increased from 5 to 10 yrs|
|DOLR & NRSC Signed MoU to Monitor WDC-PMKSY 2.0|
|MENA Climate Week 2023: Saudi Arabia Hosts Climate Event ahead of COP28 in Dubai|
|FICCI Economic Outlook Survey Pegged Median GDP growth forecast for FY23-24 at 6.3%|
|MSDE Dharmendra Pradhan Launched IndiaSkills 2023-24 & Felicitates World Skills 2022 Winners|
|CCI approves merger of IDFC Ltd with IDFC FIRST Bank|
|Overview of 141st Session of the IOC held in Mumbai; 5 Additional Sports added in 2028 Summer Olympics|
|BlueKraft Digital Foundation launches book on PM Modi’s radio show ‘Mann ki Baat’|
|39th Raising Day of NSG – 16th October 2023|
|Kati Bihu Celebrated Across Assam – 18th October 2023|
|Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah Launched an Emblem to Mark Golden Jubilee of Renaming State|
Aspirant: Does Affairscloud covers all the Current affairs topics related to examinations?
Affairscloud: We Guaranteed All the Important topics related to examination are covered in Our Daily CA content and Daily CA Quizzes.
Aspirant: Why is there a delayal in news?
Affairscloud: As some of the major news sites doesn’t provide the required data on the exact day, we take extra time for important data to be presented to the aspirants on the examination basis to ensure nothing is missed.
Example: In ‘Important Days’ topics the International Organisations publish their reports and Rankings in the evenings, to make sure every data is covered, we delay the topics to the next day.