The 9th Group20 (G20) Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit (P20) was held at the India International Convention and Expo Centre(IICC) – Yashobhoomi at Dwarka, New Delhi, Delhi from 13th to 14th October 2023.
- This was the first P20 summit hosted by India in cooperation with the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) under the broader framework of India’s G20 Presidency.
- The P20 Summit was inaugurated by Narendra Modi, Prime Minister(PM) of India at IICC on 13th October 2023.
- The summit was preceded by the Parliamentary Forum on Lifestyle for Environment (LiFE) on 12 October 2023 to deliberate upon initiatives towards a greener and sustainable future.
- The 10th P20 Summit will be hosted by the Parliament of Brazil in 2024 under the G20 Presidency of Brazil.
The theme of the forum was ‘Parliaments for One Earth, One Family, One Future’.
- The theme was inspired from the ancient Indian philosophy of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’ which means ‘The World is one Family’
i.The summit witnessed the participation of Speakers of Parliaments of G20 members and invitee countries.
- A total of 37 Speakers/Chairpersons and Deputy Speakers / Deputy Chairpersons and leaders of delegations from 29 countries participated in the summit.
- In addition to this, 436 delegates, including 48 Members of Parliament(MP) also participated in the summit.
ii.For the 1st time, the Pan-African Parliament participated in the P20 summit after the inclusion of Pan African Union as a member of the G20.
Note: It is noted that the 9th P20 Summit witnessed the highest participation ever.
Highlights of the P20 Summit:
i.P20 summit reflects India’s commitment to democratic values, international cooperation and joint parliamentary efforts.
ii.P20 serves as a platform for parliamentarians to exchange ideas and approaches in the promotion of sustainable living.
- It also increases the awareness of the LiFE movement and its overarching objectives.
iii.The Summit hosted four high-level sessions.
- Agenda 2030 for SDGs: Showcasing Achievements, Accelerating Progress
- Sustainable Energy Transitions: Gateways to a Green Future
- Mainstreaming Gender Equality: From Women’s Empowerment to Women-Led Development
- Transformation in Peoples’ Lives through Public Digital Platforms.
iv.An exhibition ‘Mother of Democracy’ was organized to highlight India’s ancient and participatory democratic traditions.
P20 Summit Unanimously Adopts Joint Statement
On the first day of the 9th P20 Summit (13th October 2023), the Presiding officers unanimously adopted a Joint Statement under the Chairmanship of Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla. This also exemplifies the spirit of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam.
i.The joint statement reaffirms the commitment to jointly work to make effective and meaningful parliamentary contribution to the G20 process.
ii.The statement also states that the Parliaments will commit to promote international peace, prosperity, and harmony, including supporting the peaceful resolution of conflicts and disputes.
iii.The joint declaration also spoke about Artificial Intelligence(AI), enhancement of skills across the globe, adoption of the Women’s Reservation Bill 2023 by the Parliament of India, etc among others
i.In 2022, the PM Modi, and United Nations(UN) Secretary General (SG) Antonio Guterres launched the Mission LiFE (Lifestyle For Environment) at the Statue of Unity, Ekta Nagar, Kevadia, Gujarat.
ii.LiFE is a comprehensive approach to environmental protection that empowers every person to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
iii.The mission is a 5-year program (2022-2027).
- Its objective is to mobilize global citizens to take individual and collective action for protecting and preserving the environment in the period 2022 to 2027.
Recent Related News:
The two-day 18th G20 (Group of 20) Leaders’ Summit, under India’s presidency, happened in Bharat Mandapam International Exhibition and Convention Centre, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi from September 9th to 10th, 2023. This is the first ever G20 Summit being hosted by India.
About Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU):
The Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) is the global organization of national parliaments. It facilitates parliaments and parliamentarians to promote peace, democracy, and sustainable development around the world.
President – Duarte Pacheco
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
Established in – 1889
Members – 179 Members and 14 Associate Members