We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 10 January 2023, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2022 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs January 2023 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2022 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
We are Hiring – Subject Matter Expert | CA Video Creator | Content Developers(Pondicherry)
Click here for Current Affairs 8 & 9 January 2023
Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated & laid the foundation stone of 21 development projects at Moirang, Manipuri.Union Minister Amit Shah, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of 21 development projects worth Rs 1,311 crore in Moirang, Manipur.
ii.He unveiled the 165-feet tall tricolor at the historic ‘Azad Hind Fauj’ Headquarters at Moirang, which is the tallest national flag in the entire North East region.
- Moirang is a town in Manipur that was liberated from British colonial rule by the Indian Nation Army under Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
iii.He also inaugurated a 122 feet tall statue of a polo player at a cost of Rs 39 crore in Marjing Polo Complex in Imphal East.
iv.He inaugurated Churachandpur Medical College in the Churachandpur district. It is the first-ever medical college constructed in the hill district of Manipur.
Governor – La. Ganesan
Chief Minister (CM) – Nongthombam Biren Singh
National Park – Sirohi National Park
Wildlife Sanctuary – Yangoupokpi-Lokchao Wildlife Sanctuary
>> Read Full News
NHA Introduces New System to Evaluate and Grade Hospitals Empanelled under AB PM-JAY SchemeThe National Health Authority (NHA) is establishing a new system to measure and grade hospital performance as part of the flagship scheme Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY).
Objective: To shift the focus of hospital performance measurement from the volume of services rendered to the value of healthcare services.
i.The new initiative will establish the concept of “value-based care,” in which payment will be based on outcomes and providers will be rewarded based on the quality of treatment provided.
ii.The performance of AB PM-JAY-empanelled hospitals will be measured using five performance indicators under value-based care, including:
- Beneficiary Satisfaction
- Hospital Readmission Rate
- The extent of Out-of-Pocket Expenditure
- Confirmed Grievances and
- Improvement in patient’s Health-Related Quality of Life
i.Value-based care has the potential to greatly enhance the healthcare landscape in India by incentivizing and encouraging healthcare providers to focus more on providing patient-centric services.
- The beneficiaries would be able to make informed decisions by having access to the hospitals’ performance based on the indicators via a public dashboard.
ii.The quality-of-care interventions will transform AB PM-JAY and the Indian health system from a volume-based to a value-based health-care delivery system.
- The interventions include performance assessment, value-based incentives, the use of health technology assessment, and the use of digital tools.
iii.Consequently, the hospital’s performance will determine its financial incentive, creating a demand for quality treatment among PMJAY beneficiaries.
National Health Authority (NHA):
i.On January 2, 2019, the erstwhile National Health Agency was reconstituted as the National Health Authority (NHA).
ii.The NHA is the apex organisation in charge of implementing India’s flagship public health insurance scheme, AB PM-JAY.
- It is an affiliated office of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoH&FW) with complete functional autonomy.
- It is governed by a Governing Board presided over by the Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare.
- Dr. Ram Sewak Sharma is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the NHA.
iii.NHA has also been tasked with developing strategy, creating technological infrastructure, and implementing the “National Digital Health Mission” (NDHM) to establish a national digital health ecosystem.
It also leads the implementation of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM).
Kerala becomes India’s 1st State with Full Digital Banking Service
Kerala has become the first state in India to go fully digital in its banking service. It was declared by the Chief Minister (CM) of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayan during an event.
- Kerala also received three ‘Digital India’ awards for the advancement in the digital sector viz. silver medal for Ksheerashree portal, platinum award for Digital Workforce Management System, and gold medal for District Administration of Kottayam.
It should be noted that Kerala is the only State in India that has declared ‘the right to Internet’ as a basic right of its citizens.
i.This achievement was driven by social interventions through local self-government institutions along with infrastructure development and technological advances in the banking sector.
ii.The Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project of the state government, which is almost 90% completed, will reduce the digital divide.
- It is a joint venture between the Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Ltd (KSITIL), Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) and the state, in which the two companies hold 49% each and the state the remaining 2%.
- A consortium led by Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) is executing the project and will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the 35,000-km-long network for the next 7 years.
- Funded by the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB), its outlay is Rs 1,028.20 crore.
iii.The K-FON will ensure internet facility to everyone in the state and a 17,155 km-long optic fibre cable network has been laid.
- Once the project gets completed, the internet will be available to everyone in the state either for a cheaper price or for free-of-cost.
iv.The state government created an Economic Offences Wing in the state police to tackle such cyber crimes.
India’s 1st Coal Gasification-Based Talcher Fertilizer Plant to be Ready in Odisha by 2024
Dr Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Chemicals and Fertilisers, announced that India’s largest and 1st coal gasification-based Talcher Fertiliser Project in Odisha will be ready to be dedicated to India by October 2024. Dr Mansukh Mandaviya reviewed the progress of work at the plant site of Talcher Fertilizers Limited (TFL) at Angul, Odisha.
Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Education of India was also present on the occasion.
- To revive the former Talcher plant of Fertilizer Corporation of India Limited (FCIL) by setting up new coal gasification the government approved an installed capacity of 12.7 lakh Metric tonnes per year (LMTPA) to TFL.
- The project will help achieve the stated goal of gasifying 100 MT (Metric Tonnes) of coal by 2030 since it encourages coal gasification.
- Ramagundam, Gorakhpur, Sindri, and Barauni Fertilizer Plants are the 4 of the 5 plants that have already begun producing urea in India, and Talcher Plant is expected to start by September 2024.
- The urea plant, which is being built at an estimated cost of Rs 17,000 crore, will help Indian farmers in addition to creating jobs and helping the local economy.
GoI Gets Extension to Frame CAA Rules for 7th Consecutive Time
The Parliamentary Committee on Subordinate Legislation in the Rajya Sabha has accepted the Ministry of Home Affairs’s (MHA) request for the extension of six more months till 30th June 2023, to frame rules under the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), 2019 for the 7th time. The decision of the Lok Sabha committee is yet to be made.
- The CAA was passed by Parliament on 11th December 2019 and also received the President’s assent, following which it was notified by the MHA. Through the CAA, the GoI will grant Indian citizenship to the illegal migrants who entered India before or on 31st December 2014.
- It was also passed for the migrants of non-Muslim communities, including Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
International Kite Festival 2023 Begins In Ahmedabad, Gujarat
On 8th January 2023, Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat inaugurated the International Kite Festival 2023 at Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. The festival is organised by Gujarat Tourism on the G20 theme of ‘One Earth, One Family, One Future’. Apart from Ahmedabad, the International Kite festival will also be organised in Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Dwarka, Somnath, Dhordo, and Kevadia.
- This festival will promote India’s G-20 presidency and more than 800 kite flyers from across India and the world will participate and display their unique creations during the festival.
- In 2023, kite enthusiasts from different countries will fly Kites at the same time in an attempt to create a Guinness World Record for the maximum number of kite flyers.
Nikkei Asia Report: India Surpasses Japan to Become the World’s 3rd Largest Auto MarketAccording to the Nikkei Asia report, India surpassed Japan as the world’s third-largest auto market in 2022. According to preliminary results, India’s new vehicle sales were at 4.25 million units, surpassing Japan’s 4.2 million units.
- China remained the global leader in automobile sales in 2021, with 26.27 million units, followed by the United States (US) in second place with 15.4 million vehicles and Japan in third place with 4.44 million units.
i.The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers estimated that 4.13 million new cars were delivered in India between January and November 2022.
ii.When the December 2022 sales volume reported by Maruti Suzuki, India’s largest carmaker, is added, the total rises to almost 4.25 million vehicles.
- The figure is expected to rise further with the inclusion of pending fourth-quarter sales figures for commercial vehicles, along with year-end results yet to be released by Tata Motors and some automakers.
iii.In 2018, around 4.4 million vehicles were sold in India, but the volume dipped below 4 million in 2019, due primarily to the credit crunch that hit the nonbank sector.
- The sales further plummeted below the 3 million-unit mark as the COVID-19 pandemic associated lockdown in 2020.
- In 2021, sales rebounded to nearly 4 million units, but a lack of automotive chips inhibited growth.
iv.With 1.4 billion people, India is predicted to surpass China in population sometime in 2023 and keep rising until the early 2060s.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
ODP Corporation Selects HCL Tech as Primary IT Partner
ODP Corporation has selected HCL Tech as its primary IT partner for end-to-end Information technology (IT) operations and enterprise-wide digital transformation to support ODP’s business strategy in its Office Depot, ODP Business Solutions and Veyer business units.
- As part of this agreement, HCL Tech will leverage its automation and artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities to enable efficient IT operations with personalised and intuitive IT services.
- ODP, is a provider of products, services and technology solutions through an integrated business-to-business (B2B) distribution platform and omnichannel presence.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Chetan Sharma retained as Chairman of the Senior Men’s Selection Committee of BCCIOn 7th January 2023, Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has retained Chetan Sharma as the Chairman of the 5 members Senior Men’s Selection Committee of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Other Members of the committee:
CAC has named Shiv Sundar Das(Central Zone), Subroto Banerjee(East Zone), Salil Ankola(West Zone) and Sridharan Sharath (South Zone) as the other members of the selection committee.
i. To select the members of the All-India Senior Selection Committee, the CAC, comprising Sulakshana Naik, Ashok Malhotra, and Jatin Paranjape, conducted an extensive process for selection.
- On 18th November 2022, the Board advertised the 5 posts on its official website and received almost 600 applications in response.
- Among 600, 11 individuals were shortlisted for personal interviews.
ii. The committee recommended Chetan Sharma for the role of Chairman of the senior men’s selection committee.
About Chetan Sharma:
i. Chetan Sharma is a former Indian medium pacer representing India in 23 Tests and 65 One-Day Internationals (ODIs). He started playing first-class cricket representing Haryana at the age of 16.
ii. A year after making his ODI debut against the West Indies in December 1983, he made his Test debut at 18.
iii. He ended his first-class career in 1996/1997 with 433 wickets from 121 games. Also, throughout 15 years, he hit 21 fifty-sixes, 3 centuries, and 3714 runs at an average of 35.03.
iv. Chetan Sharma started performing television commentary after retiring and he ran for the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) in the 2009 Lok Sabha Elections from Faridabad, Haryana.
i. Shiv Sundar Das, the former India Men’s Test Opener, was previously the batting coach of the Indian women’s team.
ii. Salil Ankola, the ex-India fast bowler, is the current Chief Selector of the Mumbai Men’s team in domestic cricket.
iii. Subroto Banerjee, a former pace bowler for India, also coached a fast bowler Umesh Yadav.
iv. Sridharan Sharath, a native of Tamil Nadu and the current Chairman of the Junior Men’s Selection Committee. Under his leadership, India won the Under 19 (U19) Men’s World Cup in West Indies in 2022.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Adar Poonawalla received 1st Dr Patangrao Kadam Memorial Award
On 8th January 2023, Adar Poonawalla, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Serum Institute of India (SII), was conferred with the 1st Dr Patangrao Kadam Memorial Award for the contribution to the fight against COVID-19 at the inauguration of the Bharati Super Specialty Hospital at Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune, Maharashtra.
- Sharad Pawar, Chief of the Nationalist Congress Party, Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu, Chief Minister (CM) of Himachal Pradesh and Devendra Fadnavis, deputy CM graced the event.
- Dr Patangrao Kadam Memorial Award was established in memory of Patangrao Kadam, a leader who created 190 institutes to provide quality education and create quality human resources.
DRDO Develops UAV for Operations in Himalayan Frontier
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed an untethered multi-copter payload, an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), that aims to carry out logistic operations in the Himalayan frontier. The UAV is capable of flying with a 5 kg to 25 Kg payload and is also used to drop bombs in enemy territories and medicines for soldiers who are deployed at high altitudes or war zones.
- This was displayed by the DRDO at the 108th Indian Science Congress, which was held between 3rd January – 7th January 2023 in Nagpur, Maharashtra and will be ready for induction in the Armed Forces after the trials.
5th Khelo India Youth Games 2022: Mascots, Smart Torch, Theme Song UnveiledThe Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh (MP) Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Union Minister of State (MoS) Nisith Pramanik, Ministry for Youth Affairs and Sports (MoYAS) unveiled the Mascots, Smart Torch, Theme Song of the 5th edition of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG) 2022 during an event in Bhopal, MP.
- KIYG 2022 will be hosted by MP from January 30 to February 11, 2023, in MP’s Bhopal, Indore, Ujjain, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Mandla, Balaghat and Khargone (Maheshwar).
Mascots: Asha (Female Cheetah) and Mowgli
- It is named after the place where the Narmada River, considered the state’s lifeline, originates
- This is the first smart torch in any game in the country. The torch is adorned with carvings of the renowned Mahakaleshwar temple, running cheetah and a lotus on top.
Theme Song: MP Shor Macha Do, Hindustan Ka DilDhadka Do. Well-known artist Shaan has rendered it.
i.The CM also announced that the players from MP who will win medals in the Olympics and Asian Games would be appointed to the post of deputy superintendent of police (DSP) and deputy collector.
ii.Teams or players who perform well and win the medals in Khelo India will be given Rs 5 lakh annually for coaching purposes.
iii.For the first time water sports viz. kayaking and canoeing, canoe slalom and rowing, as well as fencing, will be part of KIYG.
iv.A total of 27 games will be played across 23 game venues in 9 cities.
v.Around 6000 players, 303 international and 1089 national officials will participate.
Novak Djokovic wins 2023 Adelaide International 1 title; Aryna Sabalenka won Women’s SinglesSerbian Tennis Player Novak Djokovic won the Men’s Single in the 2023 Adelaide International 1 by defeating Sebastian Korda of America with 6-7 (8), 7-6 (3), 6-4.
- This was the 92nd career singles title.
- This was also his second Adelaide title after 16 years after his first; he won the tournament in 2007, aged 19.
In the women’s final at Adelaide International 1, Aryna Sabalenka(Belarus) won the women’s singles by defeating Linda Noskova of the Czech Republic.
- This was her 11th WTA Tour singles title
About 2023 Adelaide International 1:
It is the 3rd edition for women and the 2nd edition for men. It was held at the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre from January 1-8, 2023. The prize money for the ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) is $672,735, and for WTP (Women’s Tennis Association) is $826,837.
- It is a tennis tournament on the 2023 ATP Tour and the 2023 WTA Tour.
- It is a combined ATP Tour 250 and WTA 500 tournament.
|Men’s singles||Novak Djokovic (Serbia)||Sebastian Korda (United States of America)|
|Women’s singles||Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus)||Linda Noskova (Czech Republic)|
|Men’s doubles||Lloyd Glasspool (United Kingdom)/Harri Heliövaara (Finland)||Jamie Murray (UK)/Michael Venus (New Zealand)|
|Women’s doubles||Asia Muhammad (United States)/Taylor Townsend(United States)||Storm Hunter (Australia)/Kateřina Siniaková (Czech Republic)|
Coco Gauff wins ASB Classic 2023
18-old-year Gauff from America defeated Spanish qualifier Rebeka Masarova of Spain in Women’s Singles with 6-1, 6-1 in the final of the ASB Classic.
- It was his third WTA Tour title.
- Among women’s doubles a pair of Miyu Kato (Japan)/Aldila Sutjiadi (Indonesia) defeated the pair of Leylah Fernandez (Canada)/Bethanie Mattek-Sands (US) with 1–6, 7–5.
About 2023 ASB Classic:
2023 ASB Classic or 2023 Auckland Open is a joint professional men’s and women’s tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts at the ASB Tennis Centre in Auckland, New Zealand.
- It was 36th the edition for the women’s event (WTA 250 tournament) and the 45th for the men’s event (an ATP 250 tournament).
Tennis: Dutch star Tallon Griekspoor wins Singles title at Tata Open Maharashtra 2023; marks his first ATP tour title
On 7th January 2023, Dutch (Netherlands) Tennis player Tallon Griekspoor (World No.95) won the men’s singles title at the Tata Open Maharashtra 2023 defeating Benjamin Bonzi (World No. 60) of France at the finals held in Balewadi Stadium in Pune, Maharashtra. This also marks his 1st Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour title.
- Tata Open Maharashtra 2023 marks the 5th edition of Tata Open Maharashtra organised by the Maharashtra State Lawn Tennis Association (MSLTA) in collaboration with the Government of Maharashtra.
- This is the only ATP 250 tournament held in South Asia. This also marks the 27th edition of the ATP 250 event.
- The Tata Open Maharashtra 2023 was held from 31st December 2022 to 7th January 2023.
ATP 250 Tata Open Maharashtra:
The inaugural event took place in New Delhi, Delhi in 1996. For its 2nd edition, it was transferred to Chennai, Tamil Nadu, and in 2018, it was moved from Chennai to Pune, Maharashtra.
- The tournament is owned by IMG and managed by RISE Worldwide and sponsored by Tata Motors.
- It is currently India’s only tour-level tennis event and South Asia ATP Tour professional tennis event.
Tata Open Maharashtra 2023: N Sriram Balaji and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan Finish Second in Men’s Doubles
India’s N Sriram Balaji and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan from Tamil Nadu, settled for runner-up at the Tata Open Maharashtra 2023 in Men’s Double championship. They lost the finals against the Belgian pair of Sander Gille and Joran Vliegen at Balewadi Stadium in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Belgians Joran Vliegen and Sander Gille won the Men’s doubles championship title at Tata Open Maharashtra 2023.
- This marks their 6th ATP Tour Championship.
Note: N Sriram Balaji and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan ended 2022 with 6 successive semi-final appearances at the Challenger events.
i. 2023 tournament concluded with an exciting competition in the presence of 17 top-100 players, including the former Grand Slam champion Marin Cilic and last year’s runner-up Emil Ruusuvuori in a highly-competitive singles field.
ii. The former World No. 1 tennis duo of Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury, and Indian tennis star Rohan Bopanna, were among those who competed in the doubles tournament.
South African cricketer Dwaine Pretorius retires from International cricket
South African cricketer and all-rounder, Dwaine Pretorius (33-year-old) has retired from International cricket with an immediate effect to focus on franchise cricket and shorter formats of the game.
- Dwaine Pretorius has played for South Africa in 30 T20I, 27 One-Day Internationals (ODI), and 3 Tests (took 77 wickets across formats) since making his international debut in 2016. He also featured in two World Cups: International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket World Cup 2019 and the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.
- He now holds the record for South Africa’s best bowling performance in men’s T20Is (5 for 17 against Pakistan in 2021).
- He ends with a T20I batting strike rate of 164 and is one of 16 players to have a national CSA contract for 2022-23 that runs till March.
Former West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi Passes AwayKeshari Nath Tripathi, former governor of West Bengal (July 2014 – July 2019) and 3-time Uttar Pradesh (UP) Assembly Speaker passes away at the age of 88 years in Prayagraj (Allahabad), Uttar Pradesh(UP).
- He was born on 10th November 1934, in Prayagraj (Allahabad), Uttar Pradesh(UP).
About Keshari Nath Tripathi:
i.Keshari Nath Tripathi was a poet and an author and had practised as a senior advocate at Allahabad High Court.
ii.He was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for the first time in 1977 from the Jhansi assembly constituency in Prayagraj, Allahabad.
iii.He briefly served as governor of Bihar, Meghalaya, and Mizoram at various times.
- Governor of Bihar – November 2014- August 2015 & June 2017 to October 2017.
- Governor of Meghalaya – January 2015 to May 2015.
- Governor of Mizoram – April 2015 – May 2015.
iv.He has won six more assembly elections, with his last victory in 2002 from Allahabad south seat and was also the Cabinet minister of institutional finance and sales tax in UP during the Janata Party regime from 1977 to 1979.
Padma Awardee Dr Tehemton E Udwadia “Father of laparoscopic surgery” Passed AwayOn 7th January 2023, Padma Awardee Dr Tehemton Erach Udwadia, an Indian Surgeon and Gastroenterologist, who was known as the ‘father of laparoscopic surgery in India’ passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra, at the age of 88.
He was born on 15th July 1934 in the Bombay Presidency, British India (now Mumbai, Maharashtra, India).
About Dr Tehemton E Udwadia:
i. Tehemton E Udwadia pursued medicine and started his career as a research fellow at the King Edward Memorial Hospital and Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College in 1958 and stayed till 1962.
ii. In 1993, he found the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons and he served as its President from 1993 to 1998.
iii. He was the 1st surgeon in India to introduce laparoscopy in surgery in 1972, and the 1st to perform laparoscopic surgery in the developing world in 1990.
iv. He is the author of two books, Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy and Laparoscopic Surgery in Developing Countries, and more than 90 articles in peer-reviewed journals have been published.
- He also authored and published the book(memoir) “More than Just Surgery: Life Lessons Beyond the OT” (published by Penguin Ebury Press) in 2021.
i. In 2000, Dr Tehemton E Udwadia received the SAGES Millennium Award from the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons.
ii. In the same year (2000), he was awarded the Dr B. C. Roy Award, the highest Indian award in the field of Medicine, from the Medical Council of India.
iii. In 2004, he has conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons.
iv. He was honoured with the Padma Shri, India’s 4th highest civilian award, in 2006 and Padma Bhushan, India’s 3rd-highest civilian award, in 2017, for Medicine.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
M S Dhoni Releases Autobiography of Prof. K.K. Abdul Gaffar
Former Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni releases the autobiography of the Techno-educationalist, Professor K.K. Abdul Gaffar, ‘Njaan Sakshi’ (me as the witness), at a grand function organised in Kasaragod, Kerala.
- The first copy was received by Marwan Al Mulla, the CEO of Dubai Health Authority (DHA), from M S Dhoni. He also presented copies of the book to dignitaries including actor Tovino Thomas present at the occasion.
- Senior Supreme Court Attorney and son of Kapil Sibal, Akhil Sibal, Former Union Minister Salim Iqbal Sherwani, Uduma MLA, C.H. Kunhambu, Kasaragod MLA, N.A. Nellikkunnu, Mangaluru City South MLA Vedavyas Kamath, participated in the event.
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas – 9th January 2023
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD), also known as the “Non-Resident Indian (NRI) Day” is annually celebrated across India on 9th January to highlight the importance of the contribution of the Overseas Indian community to the development of India.
i.The tradition of celebrating Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) on 9th January started in 2003.
- The day, 9th January, commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India in 1915.
ii.The first ever Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was observed on 9th January 2003.
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas Convention:
i.PBD Convention is a flagship event of the government of India that offers a platform to engage and connect with overseas Indians and to enable the diaspora to interact with each other.
- 2023 marks the 17th PBD Convention.
- 17th PBD Convention from 8th to 10th January 2023 in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, is organised in partnership with the government of Madhya Pradesh.
The theme of the 17th PBD Convention is “Diaspora: Reliable partners for India’s progress in Amrit Kaal”.
About Ministry of External Affairs:
Union Minister– Dr. S. Jaishankar(Rajya Sabha- Gujarat)
Minister of State– V. Muraleedharan; Meenakashi Lekhi and Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh
>> Read Full News
UP govt launched UP Global City campaign to make urban bodies on par with global standardsOn 7th January 2023, The Uttar Pradesh (UP) Government launched a statewide 100-day ‘UP Global City’ campaign to transform the lifestyles of urban bodies of UP on par with global standards.
- The campaign was launched by Arvind Kumar Sharma, Minister of Urban Development, the government of UP.
- The 100-day ‘UP Global City’ campaign has been launched in all 762 urban bodies of UP.
UP Global City
i. The campaign aims to improve cleanliness and air quality, ensuring proper garbage disposal, beautification and installation of adequate signages on roads, to bring Up’s urban system up to par with global standards.
ii. In all of UP’s districts, campaign-related work will be done on a war footing to improve urban facilities and beautify the cities.
i. The UP Global City campaign was launched ahead of the Global Investor Summit which will begin on 10th February 2023 and conclude on 12th February 2023 in Lucknow, UP.
ii. The Global Investors Summit will be organised in UP in February 2023 and thousands of individuals, including heads of state, diplomats, administrators, rulers, businesspeople, and other dignitaries, will attend G-20 (Group of Twenty) events.
- Global Investors Summit, a 3-day long summit, will begin at Lucknow (UP) from 10 to 12 February 2023.
In addition to ‘UP Global City’, other similar campaigns being carried out by the Uttar Pradesh government include the Swachh Dhaba campaign, the Swachh Virasat Abhiyan, etc.
i. “Swachh Dhaba” Campaign, a 3-month programme, is being run from January to March 2023 for the purpose of cleaning up dhabas, restaurants, hotels and other small ‘gumtis’ in UP.
ii. A door-to-door garbage collection campaign in Up will be launched from February 1 to March 31, 2023.
iii. On 21st January 2023, a marathon race will be organised in the context of the G-20 conference.
About Uttar Pradesh(UP):
Chief Minister (CM)- Yogi Adityanath
Governor- Anandiben Mafatbhai Patel
Wildlife sanctuaries- Suhelwa Wildlife Sanctuary.
Osmanabad District Court Becomes First Court in Maharashtra to Introduce E-system of Functioning
On 8th January 2023, the Osmanabad District Court became the first court in Maharashtra to introduce an e-system of functioning, under which, all the court-related work including filing, payment and other court services can be done through the mobile app or through online mode.
- This E-system was inaugurated by the Bombay High Court, Aurangabad bench’s Judge and Osmanabad Guardian Judge, Arun Pednekar.
- The library of the court has also been converted into digital mode. The courts of all talukas of Osmanabad district are working on the e-system and 500 lawyers in the district have already registered for the new e-system.
List of Current Governors in India – AUGUST 2022
List of Current Chief Ministers in India – AUGUST 2022
List of Less Important News – Click Here
*****Click Here View – AC Excluded News*****
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 10 January 2023|
|1||Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated & laid the foundation stone of 21 development projects at Moirang, Manipur|
|2||NHA Introduces New System to Evaluate and Grade Hospitals Empanelled Under AB PM-JAY Scheme|
|3||Kerala becomes India‘s 1st Fully Digital Banking Service|
|4||India’s 1st Coal Gasification-Based Talcher Fertilizer Plant in Odisha to be Ready in 2024|
|5||GoI Gets Extension to Frame CAA Rules for 7th Consecutive Time|
|6||International Kite Festival 2023 Begins In Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|7||Nikkei Asia Report: India Surpasses Japan to Become the World’s 3rd Largest Auto Market|
|8||ODP Corporation Selects HCL Tech as Primary IT Partner|
|9||Chetan Sharma retained as Chairman of the Senior Men’s Selection Committee of BCCI|
|10||Adar Poonawalla received 1st Dr Patangrao Kadam Memorial Award|
|11||DRDO Develops UAV for Operations in Himalayan Frontier|
|12||5th Khelo India Youth Games: Mascots, Smart Torch, Theme Song Unveiled|
|13||Novak Djokovic wins 2023 Adelaide International 1 title; Aryna Sabalenka won Women’s Singles|
|14||Tennis: Dutch star Tallon Griekspoor wins Singles title at Tata Open Maharashtra 2023; marks his first ATP tour title|
|15||South African cricketer Dwaine Pretorius retires from International cricket|
|16||Former West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi Passes Away|
|17||Padma Awardee Dr Tehemton E Udwadia “Father of laparoscopic surgery” Passed Away|
|18||M S Dhoni Releases Autobiography of Prof. K.K. Abdul Gaffar|
|19||Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas – 9th January 2023|
|20||UP govt launched UP Global City campaign to make urban bodies on par with global standards|
|21||Osmanabad District Court Becomes First Court in Maharashtra to Introduce E-system of Functioning|