The GrandMaster(GM) Nodirbek Yakubboev (Uzbekistan) won the Qatar Masters Open 2023 Title held at Lusail Sports Arena, Qatar from 10th to 21th October 2023.
- GM Nodirbek Abdusattorov (Uzbekistan) secured second place while GM S L Narayanan(India) secured third place in the Qatar Masters Open 2023.
- Indians who secured the top 10 positions in the Qatar Masters Open 2023 are GM Erigaisi Arjun(6th), GM Gukesh D(8th), and GM Karthikeyan Murali(10th).
i.International Master (IM) Vaishali Rameshbabu (India) secured the women’s champion title while IM Divya Deshmukh(India) and Woman International Master (WIM) Alua Nurmanova (Kazakhstan) secured second and third highest ranks among women players.
- This event doesn’t have a separate category for the women but awards were given to the top three women based on the final ranking.
Vaishali Rameshbabu Earned Final GM Norm:
i.The 22-year-old Vaishali Rameshbabu secured the third and final Grandmaster (GM) norm.
- Vaishali became an International Master (IM) in 2021.
ii.As of October 2023, GM-elect Vaishali has International Chess Federation (FIDE) rating of 2467.7 and lacks only 32.3 Elo points to reach the threshold of 2500 points for the GrandMaster.
- If she gets the GM title, she will be the third Indian woman after Koneru Humpy(2002) and Harika Dronavalli(2011) to become GM.
iii. The other Indians secured FIDE Norms in Qatar Masters 2023:
- India’s Mayank Chakraborty secured his third and final IM-norm. He got his Candidate Master (CM) title in 2021.
Note: To earn a FIDE GM title, a player needs to earn 3 GM Norms and achieve a FIDE rating of 2500.
Karthikeyan Murali defeats Magnus Carlsen:
i.GM Karthikeyan Murali becomes the third Indian to defeat GM Magnus Carlsen in Classical Chess after Harikrishna and Viswanathan Anand.
- Karthikeyan Murali(FIDE Rank – 163) defeated Magnus Carlsen (FIDE RANK -1) in the seventh round of the Qatar master open 2023 tournament.
About the Qatar Masters Open 2023:
i.The Qatar Masters Open 2023 was held in two sections including Qatar Masters Open 2023 (main event)and Qatar Masters Open 2023 section B.
- Qatar Masters Open 2023 should be participated by players who have a FIDE rating of 2300 and above.
- Qatar Masters Open 2023 section B should be participated by players who have a FIDE rating of 2299 and Below.
ii.The 3rd edition of the Qatar Masters Open 2023 tournament was organised by the Qatar Chess Association.
- Prize Money: USD 108,250
- Format: The event is a nine-round Swiss format
iii.Previous Editions:The first edition was held in 2014 which was won by GM Yu Yangyi(China) and the second edition was held in 2015 which was won by GM Magnus Carlsen (Norway).
Winners of Qatar Masters Open 2023 section B:
i.FIDE Master(FM) Rustum Tolentino (Philippines) won the Qatar Masters Open 2023 section B title.
- Majumder Shrayan(India) secured the second position while FM Sedrani Ammar (United Arab Emirates -UAE) secured third place in the Qatar Masters Open 2023 section B.
Recent Related News:
i.India’s International Master Divya Deshmukh from Maharashtra won the Tata Steel Chess India Rapid title in the women’s category. The Tata Steel Chess India Rapid and Blitz 2023 was held from 31st August to 9th September 2023 at the National Library of India, Kolkata, West Bengal.
ii.In August 2023, Norwegian Grandmaster (GM) and World No. 1 player Magnus Carlsen won his first International Chess Federation (FIDE) World Cup title by defeating India’s GM Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa in the FIDE Chess World Cup 2023 finals.
About Federation Internationale des Echecs/International Chess Federation (FIDE):
President – Arkady Dvorkovich
Headquarters – Lausanne, Switzerland
Established – 1924