On 12th September ,2017 the cabinet approved introduction of certain bills and MoU’s for the socio- economic welfare of the people residing within it.
1 – The cabinet approves the introduction of the Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017 in the Parliament
This amendment will be beneficial for persons who are not covered under CCS (Pension) Rules, at par with Central Government employees. This Amendment will increase the maximum limit of gratuity of employees, in the private sector and in Public Sector Undertakings/ Autonomous Organizations under Government of India .
Why this amendment ?
Before implementation of 7th Central Pay Commission, the ceiling under CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972 was Rs. 10 Lakh, After the implementation of 7th Pay Commission, for Government servants, the ceiling now is Rs. 20 Lakhs .Therefore, considering the inflation and wage increase for the employees engaged in private sector, the Government viewed that the ceiling of gratuity should be revised for employees who are covered under the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.
2 – The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves development of six laning of Narasannapeta-Ranastalam section of National Highway (NH) – 16 in Andhra Pradesh
Features and significance :-
- The total length of the project is 54km and project cost is 1423 crores.
- This work will be done under National Highways Development Project (NHDP) Phase V on Hybrid Annuity Mode.
- The major industrial development centres that will be benefitted with better connectivity from this project.
- The provision for two by-passes will ensure decongestion of the urban areas of Etcherla and Ranastalam.
- The project would also increase employment potential for local labourers from project activities.
3 – The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves survey of Un-appraised Areas of Sedimentary Basins of India.
- Project cost is Rs. 2932.99 crore spread over five years. The Target year is 2019-2020.
- National Oil Companies (NOCs) are meeting the fund requirement from their own sources, which will be reimbursed by the Government. The project will be implemented by NOCs, i.e. Oil India Limited (OIL) and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC). OIL will conduct survey in North – Eastern States while remaining area will be covered by ONGC
- It will be monitored by Directorate General of on monthly basis.
India has 26 sedimentary basins covering an area of 3.14 Million Sq Km on \ onland, shallow water and deep water. Sufficient data about these basins is essential for its exploration by oil companies.
4 – The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves doubling of Daund-Manmad Railway Line for promoting Speedy, Reliable & Safe Service
- Project length is 5 km.
- The estimated cost of the project will be Rs.2,081.27 crore and completion cost of Rs. 2,330.51 crore with 5% escalation per annum.
- Target year : 2021-22.
Significance : –
Expanding this line will provide faster & reliable service and minimum delays, helps in decongestion in Mumbai lanes, helps pilgrims, enhances defence connectivity and security, improves rail tourism and employment.
5 – Cabinet approves hiving off mobile tower assets of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited into a separate company, fully owned by BSNL
This approval authorizes BSNL to monetize its telecom tower infrastructure with the formation of a separate subsidiary company.There are around 4,42,000 mobile towers in the country out of which more than 66,000 mobile tower are of BSNL. An independent, dedicated tower company of BSNL with a focused approach will lead to increasing of external tenancies and consequentially higher revenue for the new company.
6 – Cabinet approves release of additional 1% Dearness Allowance to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief to pensioners with effect from 01.07.2017
This move of increasing additional 1% from 4% is to compensate for price rise as suggested by 7th pay commission .