On October 4th, 2023, the Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi has given its approval for multiple initiatives and they are as follows
Cabinet approves Revised Cost of completion of balance works of North Koel Reservoir Project in Bihar & Jharkhand
i.In a recent development, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has granted its endorsement to a proposal presented by the Department of Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- This proposal aims to finalize the remaining tasks for the North Koel Reservoir Project, with an adjusted budget of Rs. 2,430.76 crore.
- The project also features a Right Main Canal (RMC) and Left Main Canal (LMC) originating from the barrage.
About North Koel Reservoir Project
i.It is an inter-State major irrigation project with command area lying in the two States of Bihar and Jharkhand.
ii.Upon the successful completion of the remaining tasks, this project is poised to offer additional annual irrigation to a total of 42,301 hectares in the four drought-prone districts spanning Jharkhand and Bihar.
Cabinet approves setting up of Sammakka Sarakka Central Tribal University
i.Recently, the Union Cabinet has given its approval for introduction in Parliament, a Bill, namely, the Central Universities (Amendment), Bill, 2023.
- It aims to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009 for setting up of Sammakka Sarakka Central Tribal University at Mulugu District, Telangana.
ii.There would be provision of funds of Rs. 889.07 crore.
iii.The university would be named after Sammakka-Sarakka – a mother-daughter duo revered among the local tribal community.
- The community also celebrates ‘Sammakka Sarakka Jathara’ , the most famous tribal festival.
About Central Universities Act, 2009
i.The act aims at establishing and chartering universities dedicated to both teaching and research within different states, along with addressing related and incidental matters.
Cabinet approves Terms of Reference to Krishna Water Dispute Tribunal-II under Inter State River Water Disputes (ISRWD) Act, 1956
i.Recently, the Union Cabinet has approved the issue of further Terms of Reference (ToR) to the existing Krishna Water Disputes Tribunal-II (KWDT-II).
- It has been issued under section 5(1) of the ISRWD Act for its adjudication between the States of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh (AP).
About Krishna Water Disputes Tribunal-II
i.It was constituted by the Central Government on April, 2004 on requests made by the party States under Section 3 of the ISRWD Act, 1956.
About Inter-State Water Disputes Act ,1956
i.The Inter-State Water Disputes Act, 1956 empowers the Central government to set up an ad hoc tribunal for the adjudication of a dispute between two or more states in relation to the waters of an inter-state river or river valley.
Centre notifies establishment of National Turmeric Board
i.The Centre has notified the establishment of a National Turmeric Board.
ii.It is aimed at increasing awareness about turmeric and potentially developing new markets to bolster exports.
About National Turmeric Board
i.The Center will appoint a chairperson to lead the Board.
ii.The Chairperson will work alongside members from various government entities, including:
- Ministry of AYUSH, Departments of Pharmaceuticals,
- Ministry Agriculture & Farmers Welfare,
- Ministry of Commerce & Industry, and
- Senior representatives from different states on a rotational basis.
iii.The Board will also encompass chosen national and state research institutions, representatives from both the turmeric farming and export sectors, and a secretary designated by the Department of Commerce.
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi has approved the following proposals in June 2023:
- Approved the third revival package for Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL)
- Approved the increase in the Minimum Support Prices (MSP) for all mandated Kharif Crops
- Approved the continuation of the ‘Exploration of Coal and Lignite scheme’
- Approved Metro Connectivity from HUDA City Centre to Cyber City in Gurugram