[dropcap]D[/dropcap]ear Readers, We cover some important news in Bulletin Today Section, which are not covered in Brief News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful for upcoming exam.
Syrian journalist Mazen Darwish honoured with UNESCO-Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2015
- Syrian journalist and rights activist Mazen Darwish was honoured with UNESCO-Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2015.
- He was bestowed with this award by the UN’s Cultural body for recognition of his work carried out in Syria for more than 10 years at great personal sacrifice, harassment, enduring a travel ban, as well as repeated detention and torture.
Dr Mahesh Sharma inaugurated Puducherry Science Centre and Planetarium
- The Union Minister of State for Culture (Independent Charge), Tourism (Independent Charge) and Civil Aviation, Dr. Mahesh Sharma on 3 May 2015 inaugurated the first ever Science Centre and Planetarium in the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- The Science Centre and Planetarium has been set up by the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) of Ministry of Culture at an expense of 5.5 crore rupees. It is the 47th Science Museum in the country.
Sandeep Jajodia removed as the president of Boxing India
- A Special Genral Meeting (SGM) of the Boxing India (BI) on 3 May 2015 removed Sandeep Jajodia as its president.
- The SGM, which was attended by 64 members of the BI, passed a No Confidence Motion in this regard.
- He is the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Monnet Group (an infrastructure firm) and was elected to the post unopposed in the contest held on 11 September 2014.
Roger Federer won the inaugural Istanbul Open Tennis Men’s Singles Title
- Switzerland tennis player Roger Federer on 3 May 2015 won the TEB BNP Paribas Istanbul Open Men’s singles title by defeating Pablo Cueves of Uruguay 6-3 7-6.
- With this win, the world No 2 ranking player took his 85th ATP World Tour title and ended a long drought on clay since his previous title of 2012 Madrid Masters.
Indian Railway girls clinch 5th National Hockey Championship title
- Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) have won the 5th National women hockey championship title.
- In the final match played at the Master Chandgi Ram sports stadium at Saifai, Uttar Pradesh the the RSPB girls team defeated Hockey Jharkhand by 12-2 goals.
Sharath jumps to career-high 32 in world rankings
- India’s top table tennis player Sharath Kamal has jumped 12 places to reach a career-high 32 in the latest ITTF rankings and joining him in the top-100 for the first time is young compatriot Soumyajit Ghosh, who has moved up to 95.
- Sharath’s steep rise in the world rankings comes at the back of an impressive sixth place finish at Asian Cup in Jaipur where he beat three top-20 players.
‘Excalibur’ actor Nigel Terry dies at 69
- Actor Nigel Terry, known for his performance as King Arthur in John Boorman’s 1981 film “Excalibur”, has passed away. He was 69.
Surveymonkey CEO David Goldberg dies
- Goldberg was CEO of online survey questionnaire provider SurveyMonkey. He died at age 47.
- David Goldberg, a popular Silicon Valley executive and husband of Facebook second-in-command Sheryl Sandberg.