Antonio Guterres, Chief of United Nations, named Prof. Rattan Lal and Dr. Uma Lele (Agricultural experts) from India as members of International Scientific group to offer foremost scientific evidence for sustainable food systems for global food summit 2021.
The Scientific Group will be Chaired by Dr. Joachim von Braun of Bonn University Germany.
- UN Secretary General, Gutters will Convene the Food Systems Summit in 2021, as a critical contribution to the decade of Action to deliver 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- It aims to raise awareness about the food system challenges to be solved by the nations and to change food systems to provide safe and nutritious food around the globe.
- Gutters formed many support structures to facilitate process and success.
- The stakeholder Advisory Committee will provide guidance and feedback on Food Summit’s overall development and implementation.
- The Advisory Committee will be headed by the Amina Mohammed, UN Deputy Secretary General.
Prof. Ratan Lal:-
- Lal is an Indian-American soil scientist
- He was named the 2020 World Food prize Laureate for developing and mainstreaming a soil-centric approach to increasing food production that conserves natural resources and mitigates climate change.
- He is a professor of Soil Science and a Founding director of Carbon management & Sequestration Center at Ohio University.
- Over his 50 years of experience he has travelled across four continents and promoted soil saving techniques uplifting livelihood for about 500 million farmers.
- Food and nutritional security was improved for more than two billion people and saved millions of hectares of natural tropical ecosystem.
Dr. Uma Lele:-
- Dr Uma is from the International Association of Agricultural economists (IAAE)
- The first woman from Cornell University with PH.D. in agricultural economics.
- Lele is experienced for about 5 decades in research operations, policy analysis and evaluation in the World Bank, universities and international organisations.
About United Nations:
Headquarters: New York, United States
Secretary General: Antonio Guterres