- This special 2020 version has been set up with a view to continuing support for the international film industry and its professionals as the original 2020 festival was scheduled to run May 12-23 but was canceled in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
Union Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Virtual India Pavilion at Cannes Film Market 2020
The e-inauguration of the Virtual India Pavilion at Cannes Film Market 2020 was done by Minister of Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar. He also unveiled the booklet and poster of the 51st International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which is scheduled to take place from November 20 to 28, 2020 in Goa.There are couple of first time events in the participation this year.They are,
- It should be noted that the two films sent for the prestigious CANNES festival’s Marche’ du Film section from India are Ananth Narayan Mahadevan’s MaiGhat: Crime No 103/2005 (Marathi) and Abhishek Shah’s Hellaro (Gujarati). Both are National Film Award winning movies that are being screened in the Market.
- Additionally, to mark the Centenary year of legend filmmaker Satyajit Ray in 2021, a preview festival of some his films, music and documentary by and of Satyajit Ray will be showcased at the Indian pavilion Website.
- Participants at Virtual India Pavilion: Shri Amit Khare, Secretary, Ministry of I&B, Government of India, Mr Atul Kumar Tiwari, Additional Secretary, Ministry of I&B, Government of India, Ms TCA Kalyani, Joint Secretary (Films), Ministry of I&B, Government of India and MD, NFDC, Government of India, Ms Shrila Dutta Kumar, Minister (Consular) Embassy of India to France, Mr Prasoon Joshi, lyricist Chairman, CBFC, Mr Madhur Bhandarkar, National Award-winning Director, Mr D Suresh Babu, National Representative, Active Telugu Film makers Guild, Mr Colin Burrows, Special Treats Productions, Ms Kangana Ranaut, Film Personality, Ms Usha Jadhav, Actor, Mai Ghat.
NFDC’s Film Bazaar partnered with Marche du Film (Cannes Film Market) 2020
The National Film Development Corporation (NFDC) Film Bazaar, the largest film market of South Asia, collaborated with the biggest international market, Marché du Film 2020 for ‘NFDC Film Bazaar Goes to Cannes’ programme. The Goes to Cannes programme 2020 is the 8th edition and is one of the premier events at the Cannes Film Market taking place on June 22-23. As a part of this collaboration, five work-in-progress films from NFDC Film Bazaar 2019 will be pitched at the Marché du Film Online, which are as follows:
Dostojee (Two friends)
Fire in the Mountains
Uljhan (The knot)
What is Indian Pavilion?
Through Indian Pavilion at Cannes, Indian film makers and delegates interact with the international community for exploring the opportunities of working with Indian film makers and to shoot within India. The Website will also make available the data on film shooting in India, producers who have experience in co-production as also a list of producers who are interested in linkages with international media and entertainment industry.The website of the Pavillion can be accessed at www.indiaatcannes.in
- Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) has been managing the Indian Pavilion on behalf of the Ministry since 2014 at Cannes.
Headquarters– New Delhi
President– Sangita Reddy