Yogeshwar Dutt on Saturday secured an Olympic quota place for India with a gold-medal finish in the men’s 65kg freestyle category in Asian Olympics qualification tournament at Astana.
- Yogeshwar Dutt joins the list along with Narsingh Yadav to qualify for Rio Olympics
- The top two finishers in each weight category here are assured of a Rio berth
- The wrestler reserved his place by virtue of reaching the final on the second day of the competition even before clinching the gold medal
His path across the tournament
- Yogeshwar put up a dominating show, winning all his three bouts rather comfortably.
- Having beaten Kim Ju-song of North Korea in qualification round 8-1, he beat Xuan Dinh Nguyen of Vietnam byfall verdict 12-2 in quarters and then followed it up by beating Lee Seung-Chul of Korea 7-2 in his semifinal bout
- Asian Olympics qualifier is a second qualifying game for Rio Olympics followed by World championship in Las vegas last year
- Narsingh Yadav got qualified to Rio Olympics by winning the world championship in 74kg freestyle
- Yogeshwar didn’t participate owing to an injury in the world championship
Points to note
- Yogeshwar won bronze medal in the London Olympics in 50 kg category
- Later in 2013, the norms were revised by the Olympic committee to change it from 60 to 65 kg and Yogeshwar is seen comfortable in this category winning all the games he participated