Current Affairs PDF

World Water Monitoring Day 2022: September 18 

AffairsCloud YouTube Channel - Click Here

AffairsCloud APP Click Here

World water monitoring day

World Water Monitoring Day (WWMD) is annually observed across the globe on the 18th of September to increase public awareness of water monitoring and recognizes the importance of protecting the world’s water resources.


i. World Water Monitoring Day was proclaimed by America’s Clean Water Foundation (ACWF) as a global educational outreach program in 2003.

ii. WWMD points out the importance of water monitoring and an awareness of water pollution issues as well as the problems that come from overusing and misusing water.

iii. The Water Environment Federation (WEF) and the International Water Association (IWA) coordinate the events of WWMD.


i. Around 150 countries come together to honour WWMD on September 18.

ii. According to the National Ground Water Association (NGWA), only 0.3% of the Earth’s water is usable by people. The remaining 99.7 per cent is in the oceans, soils, icecaps, and the atmosphere.

iii. With only 0.3% usable, it is essential that this infinite source continues to be utilised.


WWMD aims to get the international outreach program to as many people as possible.


i‍. The EarthEcho Water Challenge, formerly known as World Water Monitoring Challenge, is an international program that runs annually from March 22 (the United Nations(UN)’s  World Water Day) through December.

ii. This program provides anyone to protect the water resources on which we depend all day.

iii. In the celebration of WWMD 2022, EarthEcho International, a leading environmental education non-profit, is joining Xylem, a leading global water technology company, to help anyone take action to protect and restore water resources.

About the National Ground Water Association (NGWA): 

President- Brian Snelten
Headquarters- Westerville, Ohio, United States.
Establishment- 1946