World Urbanism Day, also known as “World Town Planning Day”, is annually observed across the globe on 8th November to highlight the environmental impacts caused due to the development of cities and territories.
- The day aims to focus on the aims, objectives and progress of urban and regional planning across the globe.
- The celebration of World Urbanism Day is promoted by the International Society of City and Regional Planners (ISOCARP).
World Urbanism Day was initiated in 1949 by the late Professor Carlos Maria della Paolera of the University of Buenos Aires to advance public and professional interest in planning.
i.World urbanism describes the interaction between the inhabitants of urban areas and the built environment.
ii.Urban areas include towns, cities, and other places with higher populations.
Importance of urban planning:
i.Urban planning aims to ensure the community is healthy and livable for its inhabitants.
ii.Urban planning also ensures an orderly development such as
- Provide residents with plenty of opportunities to enjoy a high quality of life.
- Strive to preserve or improve its economy.
- Provide a variety of housing options for its residents.
- Contain schools, grocery stores, shopping malls, parks, recreational areas, and fitness facilities.
ISOCARP World Planning Congress 2021:
i.The ISOCARP World Planning Congress provides a platform for establishing professional as well as personal contacts with colleagues from all around the world.
ii.The theme of the 57th ISOCARP World Planning Congress is Planning Unlocked: New Times, Better Places, Stronger Communities.
About International Society of City and Regional Planners (ISOCARP):
President– Martin Dubbeling
Secretary-General– Frank D’hondt
Headquarters– The Hague, The Netherlands.