The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization(UNESCO)’s World Teachers’ Day is annually observed across the globe on 5th October to celebrate the teachers across the globe.
The day also commemorates the adoption of the 1966 ILO/UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers which established the benchmark on the rights and responsibilities of teachers, standards of their initial preparation and further education, recruitment, employment, and teaching and learning conditions.
- World Teachers’ Day is co-convened in partnership with the International Labour Organization (ILO), the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Education International (EI).
- The theme of World Teachers’ Day 2021 is “Teachers at the heart of education recovery”.
i.UNESCO has decided to observe the International Teachers’ Day on 5th October of every year to create awareness about the importance of the teaching profession.
ii.The first ever World Teachers’ Day was observed in 1994.
World Teachers’ Day 2021:
i.The World Teachers’ Day 2021 focuses on the support teachers need to contribute to the recovery process under the theme “Teachers at the heart of education recovery”.
ii.The celebration of the 2021 World Teachers’ Day will start in conjunction with the meeting of the joint ILO-UNESCO Committee of Experts on the Application of the Recommendations concerning Teaching Personnel (CEART), which will be running from 4 to 8 October 2021.
Hamdan Prize for Teacher Development:
The UNESCO Hamdan Prize for Teacher Development was instituted in 2008 to support the improvement of teaching and learning quality in achieving the Sustainable Development Goal(SDG) 4 on Quality Education.
- The award was established by His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai and Minister of Finance of the United Arab Emirates.
- The prize carries a total cash award of 300000 USD, which is equally divided between 3 winners.
- The prize was presented by Hamdan Foundation, which was established in 1998 by His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai and Minister of Finance of the United Arab Emirates.
Teachers Day in India – September 5:
i.India annually celebrates the National Teachers Day on 5th September to commemorate the birth anniversary of Bharat Ratna Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
ii.He was the first Vice President of India and the 2nd President of India.