The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)’s World Philosophy Day is annually observed across the globe on the 3rd Thursday of November to raise awareness about philosophy and its importance.
World Philosophy Day 2022 falls on 17th November 2022.
- World Philosophy Day 2021 was observed on 18th November 2021.
- World Philosophy Day 2023 will be celebrated on 16th November 2022.
The theme of World Philosophy Day 2022 is “The Human of the Future”.
- The observance of World Philosophy Day is annually led by UNESCO.
i.The first ever World Philosophy Day was observed on 21st November 2002(3rd Thursday).
- Since 2002, the day has been observed at the headquarters and the fields under UNESCO’s regular programme.
ii.UNESCO adopted the 33 C/Resolution 37 in 2005 and proclaimed the 3rd Thursday of November every year as “World Philosophy Day”.
Objective of the Day:
- To renew the national, subregional, regional and international commitment to the philosophy
- To foster philosophical analysis, research and studies on major contemporary issues so as to respond more effectively to the challenges that are confronting humanity today
- To raise public awareness of the importance of philosophy and its critical use in the choices arising for many societies from the effects of globalization or entry into modernity
- To appraise the state of philosophy teaching throughout the world, with emphasis on unequal access;
As a part of the observance of World Philosophy Day 2022, UNESCO and Le Fresnoy- Studio national des arts contemporains (Le Fresnoy – National Studio of Contemporary Arts), have organised a symposium and exhibition on the theme “The Human of the Future” at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, France from 16th to 18th November 2022.
- In collaboration with the audiovisual research centre, UNESCO has developed the program focused on the themes and disciplinary structuring fields like anthropology, natural sciences (the non-human), post-colonialism, technological issues, gender, waste, fictional inventions, the perspective of a long-time and the cosmos.
About United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO):
Director-General– Audrey Azoulay
Headquarters– Paris, France