World Health Organisation(WHO)’s World Patient Safety Day is annually observed across the globe on September 17th to promote the aspects of patient safety and reduce patient harm.
17th September 2021 marks the observance of 3rd World Patient Safety Day.
- The theme of World Patient Safety Day 2021 is “Safe maternal and newborn care”.
i.The 72nd World Health Assembly(WHA) adopted the resolution WHA72.6 – “Global action on patient safety” on 28th May 2019 and proclaimed September 17th of every year as the World Patient Safety Day.
ii.The first-ever World Patient Safety Day was observed on 17th September 2019.
World Patient Safety Day 2021:
The campaign slogan of 2021 is “Act now for safe and respectful childbirth!” which calls the stakeholders to speed up the actions to ensure safe and respectful childbirth.
- To create awareness on the issues of maternal and newborn safety, especially during childbirth.
- To engage the stakeholders and adopt effective and innovative strategies to improve maternal and newborn safety.
- To call for sustainable actions by all stakeholders to scale up efforts and ensure safe maternal and newborn care.
- Advocate the adoption of best practices to prevent avoidable risks and harm to all women and newborns during childbirth.
Every day more than 810 women die from preventable causes related to pregnancy and childbirth and more than 6700 newborns die every day which accounts for 47% of all under 5 deaths.
About World Health Organisation(WHO):
Director-General– Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus(Ethiopia)
Headquarters- Geneva, Switzerland
Founded on 7 April 1948