India has ranked 133rd out of 156 countries in the World Happiness Report 2018.
About World Happiness Report:
World Happiness report is an annual report published by the U.N. Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
- It was first published in 2012.
- The World Happiness Report 2018 ranks 156 countries by their happiness levels and 117 countries by the happiness of their immigrants.
- Rankings of country happiness in World Happiness Report 2018 are based on the pooled results from Gallup World Poll surveys from 2015-2017.
- Variables on which average happiness across countries has been derived are – GDP Per Capita, Social Support, Healthy Life Expectancy at birth, Freedom to make life choices, Generosity and Perceptions of corruption.
Highlights of World Happiness Report 2018:
India’s 133rd rank in World Happiness Report 2018 marks a drop of 11 spots as compared to 122nd rank in World Happiness Report 2017.
- Finland has not only topped the list of 156 countries having the happiest population in general, but has also topped the ranking for happiest immigrants.
- Norway, that topped the rankings last year, has slipped to second spot.
- Among India’s neighbouring countries, Pakistan has ranked 75th while China has ranked 86th.
- India ranked lower than most of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries, except Afghanistan that stood at 145.
- United States fell to 18th place from 14th last year.
- Burundi is at the bottom of the World Happiness Report rankings.
- Obesity, opioid crisis and depressionhave been identified as emerging health problems that threaten happiness.
World Happiness Index 2018 – Top 10 Countries: