The annual meeting of World Economic Forum (WEF) is being held in Davos, Switzerland from 23rd – 26th January 2018.
- Over the course of this event, global leaders from different sectors, including business, politics, academia and journalism will hold discussions and share their views on the most pressing contemporary issues facing the world.
- This year’s theme is “Creating a Shared Future in a Fractured World”.
Shah Rukh Khan receives Crystal Award in Davos
On January 23, 2018, the first day of World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, Bollywood Superstar Shah Rukh Khan received Crystal award for raising awareness about human rights issues and his work for acid attacks victims.
- Crystal Award is given, by World Economic Forum to artists who make a positive change in society.
- Shah Rukh Khan is the founder Meer Foundation a non-profit entity, which provides support to female victims of acid attacks and major burn injuries.
- Other stars who received Crystal Award this year are Australian actress Cate Blanchett and British singer-songwriter Elton John. Cate received the award for her work with people who have fled their homes while Elton John was awarded for his charitable work through his AIDS foundation.
WEF 2018 first to be chaired entirely by women
For the first time in the 48-year history of the World Economic Forum (WEF), its annual meeting, being held in Davos, Switzerland from 23rd – 26th January 2018 will be chaired entirely by women.
- This move was in response to criticism that WEF’s annual meeting which is attended by nearly 2000 global leaders every year lacked female representation.
- This year’s co-chairs include Christine Lagarde – Chief of International Monetary Fund, Erna Solberg – Prime Minister of Norway, Ginni Rometty – CEO of IBM, Sharan Burrow – General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) in Belgium, Fabiola Gianotti – Director General of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva, Isabelle Kocher – CEO of ENGIE Group and Chetna Sinha, Founder and President of Mann Deshi Mahila Bank and Mann Deshi Foundation in India.
WEF, Reliance Industries to Set Up Center for Fourth Industrial Revolution in Mumbai
World Economic Forum (WEF) has partnered with Reliance Industries Ltd. to set up Centre for Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR) in India.
- C4IR will function as the sister Center to the WEF’s Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution located in San Francisco, US.
- C4IR will provide insights in new forms of governance and new technology applications to Indian policy-makers and thought leaders. Besides, it will also help in establishing connections with cutting-edge technology innovators globally.
- 4th Industrial revolution envisages a range of new technologies that establish synergy between physical, digital and biological worlds and impacts all disciplines, economies and industries.
WEF launches Global Centre for Cybersecurity
On January 24, 2018, World Economic Forum (WEF) announced the launch of a new Global Centre for Cybersecurity.
- This centre will seek collaboration with governments as well as international organisations to safeguard the world from hackers and data breaches.
- This centre will work with a vision to create a safe operating environment for new technologies like Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Headquarters of this centre is located in Geneva, Switzerland. The centre will become operational from March 2018.