World Customs Organisation (WCO) has recognized the Central Revenues Control Laboratory (CRCL), New Delhi, which functions under the Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) as a Regional Customs Laboratory (RCL) of the WCO for the Asia-Pacific Region.
- On this behalf, a virtual signing ceremony was held in which M Ajit Kumar, Chairman of CBIC & Mr Kunio Mikuriya, Secretary General of WCO signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- With this recognition, CRCL will join a select group of Customs Laboratories in the region like those in Japan & South Korea.
Purpose of RCL
- To conduct Capacity Building programs in the field of Chemical Analysis & conduct information exchange in Customs chemical analysis field & other scientific matters.
- It will also help in chemical analysis for tariff classification & identifying illicit drug trafficking routes through signature analysis.
- Improvement in Chemical analysis will mean increase in revenue collection, smoother trade facilitation & better protection of public health & society.
Central Revenues Control Laboratory (CRCL)
- It was established in 1939.
- It is the headquarters of 14 Revenue Laboratories, including 2 laboratories working at Government Opium & Alkaloid Works, Ghazipur (Uttar Pradesh) & Neemuch (Madhya Pradesh).
- Around INR 80 Crore has been spent on upgrading the CRCL Laboratory. It now has instrument based testing to facilitate faster clearances without compromising on law enforcement.
Recent Related News:
i.June 16, 2020, CBIC Chairman M. Ajit Kumar launched the ‘e-Office’ application in over 500 Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) and customs offices across India, on 15th June at New Delhi. The e-Office is a Mission Mode Project(MMP) under the e-Governance of India.
About Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC):
Previously known as Central Board of Excise & Customs, CBIC is a part of the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
Chairman – M Ajit Kumar
Head Office – New Delhi
About World Customs Organisation (WCO):
Members – 183
Secretary General – Kunio Mikuriya
Headquarters – Brussels, Belgium