World Coconut Day is annually celebrated across the globe on 2nd September to promote coconuts and bring awareness regarding its value and health benefits.
- The 2 September 2022 marks the 14th observance of World Coconut Day.
- The theme of World Coconut Day 2022-“Cultivate Coconut For A Happy Life And Future”.
- The Day aims to raise awareness about the use and benefits of coconuts across various industries.
i.In India, the day is celebrated with the support of the Coconut Development Board (CDB) across the states such as Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Goa, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, etc.
ii.The Day also coincides with the Foundation Day of the International Coconut Community (ICC) formerly known as Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC).
i.The Asia Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) celebrated the first World Coconut Day on 2nd September 2009.
- The APCC was established on 2nd September 1969.
ii.Since then, every year under the APCC by the authority of UN-ESCAP (United Nations’ economic and social commission for the Asia Pacific).
i.On the occasion of the World Coconut Day, Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar will inaugurate the Gujarat State Center of Coconut Development Board in Junagadh, Gujarat.
ii.He will also announce the winners of the Board’s National Awards and Export Excellence Awards.
- The technical sessions on good coconut farming practices and marketing will also be held at the Junagadh Agricultural University.
i.Coconut is a highly nutritious fruit, a crucial raw material and a significant crop. States like Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh are the leading contributors.
ii.India is also among the major players of coconut exporters, It accounted for about 34% of the world’s total production during 2020-21. The coconut crop contributes around Rs. 307,498 million (USD 3.88 billion) to India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- The productivity is 9687 nuts per hectare, which is the highest in the world.
- Indonesia is the world’s largest coconut-producing country.
iii.During the year 2021-22, the Government provided financial assistance to the tune of Rs. 801 million (USD 10 million) for covering a fresh area of 4,078 hectare under the expansion of area under coconut initiative and 91-hectare demonstration plots for productivity improvement.
- It includes establishing six new coconut nurseries and a coconut nucleus seed garden and six new coconut processing units for value-added products like virgin coconut oil (VCO), activated carbon and ball copra, and spray dried coconut milk powder.
About International Coconut Community (ICC):
ICC is an intergovernmental organisation of coconut producing countries established under the aegis of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP).
Executive Director- Jelfina C. Alouw
Headquarters- Jakarta, Indonesia
About Coconut Development Board (CDB):
It works under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW).
Chairman- Rajbir Singh Panwar
Headquarters– Kochi, Ernakulam, Kerala
Established- 12th January 1981