On April 1, 2021, the World Bank Board of Executive Directors approved a USD 32 Million (~INR 234.80 Crores) Project titled ‘Mizoram Health Systems Strengthening Project’ for improving management capacity and quality of health services in Mizoram.
- The $32 million loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), has a maturity of 14.5 years, including a grace period of 5 years.
- The project will help Mizoram to improve quality certification at health facilities, enhance human resources, improve health insurance and other innovations.
Areas of Focus
- Reducing financial barriers in accessing hospital services. For this purpose, it will build cooperation with India’s Pradhan Mantri Jan ArogyaYojna (PMJAY).
- Preventing out of pocket expenditure for health by poor families and expanding coverage.
- To invest in a comprehensive quality assurance programme for enabling quality certification of health facilities.
- To ensure accountability, the project will move towards a performance-based financing system – Internal Performance Agreements (IPAs) between the State Health Department and its subsidiaries.
- The Project will invest in infection prevention and control for a more resilient response to future outbreaks, pandemics, and health emergencies.
- The Project will invest in It will also focus on the proper management of bio-medical waste management in Mizoram through segregation, disinfection, and collection.
Mizoram’s Performance in the Health sector
- The major health issues facing Mizoram are the increasing burden of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), increasing urban-rural disparities & access to quality health services.
- NCDs in adults account for more than 50% of the disease burden in the state.
Recent Related News:
i.On March 1, 2021, Mizoram Chief Minister Zoramthanga who also holds the Finance Portfolio presented the annual budget for the year 2021-22 with an outlay of INR 11, 148.90 crores.
Lakes – Tam Dil, PalakDil, Rungdil
National Parks (NP) – Murlen NP, Phawngpui Blue Mountain NP
About World Bank
Members – 189
President – David Malpass
Headquarters – Washington D.C., USA