Wildlife Week in India is annually observed across India from 2- 8 October to promote the conservation and protection of animal and plant life.
- The 2022 Wildlife Week marks the 68th edition of its observance.
The campaign was organized to spread awareness about flora and fauna and encourage people to save the wildlife.
The main objectives of Wildlife Week:
- Awareness of the protection and conservation of wildlife.
- To make the people aware of the importance of wildlife conservation.
- Set up additional services to protect wildlife.
- Discuss all issues related to the protection and conservation of wildlife.
i.The idea of Wildlife Week was conceptualized by the Indian Board of Wildlife in 1952 to raise awareness on the long term goals of protecting the wildlife of India.
ii.Initially, in 1955 the Wildlife day was celebrated which was later upgraded as the Wildlife Week in 1957
- The first Wildlife Week was commemorated in 1957.
The Forests and Protection of Wild Animals and Birds was transferred from State to Concurrent List through the 42nd Amendment Act, 1976.
Constitutional provision for wildlife protection:
Article 51 A (g)-it shall be the fundamental duty of every citizen to protect and improve the natural environment including forests and Wildlife.
Article 48 A- the State shall endeavor to protect and improve the environment and to safeguard the forests and wildlife of the country.
About National Board for Wildlife (NBWL):
i.The NBWL is a “Statutory Organization” constituted under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
- It is responsible for promotion of conservation and development of wildlife and forests in India.
ii.The NBWL is chaired by the Prime Minister of India and the Minister of Environment , Forest and Climate Change as vice chairperson. It has 47 members including the Prime Minister.
i.The government of Haryana declared Zoos in Bhiwani, Rohtak and Pipli will be open to the public for free during the National Wildlife Week 2022.
ii.The main programme will be organized in Chhachhrauli, Yamunanagar district of Haryana on October 6, 2022 where Forest Minister Kanwar Pal will be the Chief Guest