In the Sixth Edition of the ICC T20 Tournament West Indies clinched for the second occasion when West Indies men’s team have won the prestigious event as they were champion in 2012.
- West Indies won the final match by 4 wickets played at Eden Gardens.
The Highlight of the Final:
- West Indies opted to bowl after winning the toss, England posted 155 for the nine wicket loss after Windies team chased the total by the Solid Samuels and Carlos Brathwaite who smashed 4 sixes in the last over to finish off things for his side.
- Man of the Match: Marlon Samuels (WI)
- Player of the Series: Virat Kohli (India)
Prize Money Distributed:
- Winners: $ 3.5 million
- Runners: $1.5 million
Road to the Final:
- The West indies have been riding high on their free flowing spirit to reach the final. Their only slip up in an otherwise perfect tournament was against minnows Afghanistan.
- Proving each member of the Team is Match Winner, It’s quite evident that the West Indians are not solely dependent on Gayle to perform as they have other hard hitters like Lendl Simmons, Andre Russel and Fletcher.
- In fact a great year for the West Indies Cricket. After the U-19 World Cup win, the women’s team won the World T20 and the men’s team gave the perfect cherry on the cake with their second World T20 title.
- Samuels scored an unbeaten 85-run knock but it was Carlos Brathwaite’s four consecutive sixes in the last over that nailed it.
Sixth Edition of ICC T20 Title:
- In the Sixth Edition of the Tournament organized by ICC in India 58 men’s and women’s matches played at eight venues from March 8 to April 3.