A week long Exhibition-cum-Fair, the first “EKAM Fest” organized by National Handicapped Finance Development Corporation (NHFDC) under Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment held in Emporia Complex, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, New Delhi-1 from 2nd March to 9th March 2020.It was inaugurated by Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot.
- EKAM, an acronym for Entrepreneurship, Knowledge, Awareness, Marketing, was aimed to showcase products made with extra ordinary determination by the divyang (differently-abled) crafts persons and entrepreneurs.
- 82 Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs from 17 States/ UTs showcased their products. They include 44 Men and 38 Women Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs.
Three New Initiatives for PwDs launched during fest:
- NHFDC Swavalamban Kendra (NSK): NHFDC has taken an initiative to establish PWD owned micro skill training Centers throughout the country for skill training of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs). These NSKs will have a capacity to provide quality skill training to around 120 PwDs per year. The PwD owner of the NSK is expected to earn around Rs 20,000 per month.
- Safe Cabs in Delhi and Indore: NHFDC has made arrangement with Sakha Cabs where the PwD owned commercial vehicles will be driven by the Women drivers to provide safe taxi option for the women, children and senior citizen commuters. The vehicles here are financed by NHFDC.
- Safe Drinking Water E Carts: NHFDC will finance E-carts fitted with RO water dispensing vending machines. These carts will sell water in paper glasses maintaining the hygiene. The carts will be supported in operation by Bharat Jal. The PwD owner is expected to earn Rs 10,000/- to Rs 15,000/- per month in the operation of these carts.
Key Highlights of fest:
i.The fest displayed the products ranging home Décor and Lifestyle; Textiles; Stationery and Eco Friendly products; Packed Food and Organic Products; Toys and Gifts; and Personal Accessory –Jewellery, Clutch Bags etc.
ii.There were astrological consultations and foot massage by Divyang professionals along with number of activities like cultural extravaganza including performances by Divyang artists and well known professionals.
iii.On the occasion of International Women Day (8th March), a free camp was ogranised by NAB (National Association for the Blind), Hauz Khas, New Delhi for examination for early breast cancer by trained visually impaired women.
iv.The fest had a collective sales of more than Rs. 8 lakhs
v.Krishan Pal Gurjar, Minister of State (MoS) for Social Justice & Empowerment presented awards to Divyangs artisan and entrepreneurs who participated in the fest.
Key Participants during fest:
Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways (RT&H) and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Nitin Jairam Gadkari, and Union Minister for Women and Child Development and Textiles Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani attended the inaugural event.
Established in 1997, NHFDC is an Apex corporation under the aegis of Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
Chairman-cum-Managing Director– Rajan Sehgal