‘Sakhi-One Stop Centres (OSC)’ is a scheme of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) to support women affected by violence in public and private space. The WCD Ministry in partnership with the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has decided to set up 10 OSCs to support Indian Overseas Women in 9 countries – Australia, Canada, Singapore, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, UAE, and Saudi Arabia(2 OSCs).
- The Centres will assist Indian women, who are survivors of gender-based violence, victims of violence or struck due to particular situations.
- Legal aid, medical support and counselling for the women will also be provided at the centre.
- The countries have been identified by MEA based on the Indian diaspora population. They will be run by MEA and funded by the WCD Ministry.
Sakhi-One Stop Centre (OSC) scheme
- It was set up in 2015 by the Ministry of WCD.
- Funding – It is a 100% centrally sponsored scheme funded through Nirbhaya Fund. The Central Government will provide 100% financial assistance to the State Government/UT under the Scheme.
- At present, there are 700 OSCs in India, WCD Ministry has planned to add 300 more OSCs across India in 2021.
INR 74 Crore under Nirbhaya Fund
i.WCD Ministry also announced a fund of INR 74 Crore under the Nirbhaya Fund to provide shelter, food and transportation to rape survivors (minors) who are abandoned by their families. The funds will be given to the District Magistrate, who will devise a mechanism to ensure critical care of the victims.
ii.Nirbhaya Fund is a non-lapsable corpus fund set up in 2013 for funding schemes related to the safety and security of women.
- It is administered by the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) of the Ministry of Finance.
- WCD Ministry is the nodal ministry to appraise/recommend proposals to be funded under Nirbhaya Fund.
- Schemes funded by Nirbhaya Scheme – Sakhi OSC, Swadhar Greh (Shelter Homes), and Fast Track Special Court.
- In the Union Budget 2021-22, INR 10 Crore was set aside for Nirbhaya Fund.
Recent Related News:
On March 8, 2021, WCD Ministry signed an MoU with Invest India to enhance cooperation in areas of Nutrition, Child Protection and Development, Women Empowerment & Capacity building in mission mode.
About Ministry of Women & Child Development (WCD)
Union Minister – Smriti Irani (Lok Sabha – Amethi, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State – Debasree Chaudhuri (Lok Sabha – Raiganj, West Bengal)