Vivek Chaand Sehgal, Chairman of auto parts maker Motherson Sumi Systems Ltd, has been named as the Indian Entrepreneur of the Year 2016 by consulting firm, EY formerly known as Ernst & Young.
- The 60-year-old Sehgal was selected from a list of 17 exceptional entrepreneurs across diverse sectors comprising both traditional and new economy by a nine-member Jury led by Dilip Shanghvi, Managing Director, Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries.
- Sehgal was named for the entrepreneur of the year award based on a self-nomination for the track record he built over the last 17 years during which Motherson Sumi System’s revenue rose from Rs. 100 crore in 2000 to around Rs. 35,000 crore currently.
- Sehgal will now represent India at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award in Monte Carlo from June 7-11 2017 where he will compete with business leaders from around the world.
- Besides, Infosys Ltd co-founder Nandan Nilekani was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award for heading the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) for the Aadhaar project.
Other Winners of Different Categories
|Abhay Firodia||Chairman of Force Motors Ltd||Business Transformation|
|Chandubhai Virani||Whole-time director of Balaji Wafers Pvt. Ltd||Consumer Products And Retail|
|Uday Shankar||Chairman and Chief Executive of Star India Pvt. Ltd||Entrepreneurial CEO|
|Vishwavir Ahuja||Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, of RBL Bank Ltd||Financial Services|
|Samprada Singh and Basudeo Narain Singh||Chairman Emeritus and Executive Chairman Alkem Laboratories||Life Sciences & Healthcare|
|Hari Mohan Bangur||Managing Director of Shree Cement’s||Manufacturing|
|Vikas Oberoi||CMD Oberoi Realty||Real Estate & Infrastructure|
|R Dinesh||Managing Director, TVS Logistics Services||Services|
|Darshan Patel||Chairman and Managing Director Vini Cosmetics||Startup|
About Vivek Chaand Sehgal
Vivek Chaand Sehgal was born on September 28, 1956 in Delhi. He is an Indian-born Australian businessman and chairman and co-founder of an auto parts manufacturer Samvardhana Motherson Group.
- Sehgal co-founded Samvardhana Motherson Group in 1975 along with his mother.
- Motherson Sumi Systems is the flagship company of the group, established in 1986, and is a joint venture enterprise with Sumitomo Wiring Systems (Japan).
- In 2014, he was named in the Forbes list of billionaires at rank 659, with a net worth of $2.8 billion.
- Sehgal has also moved up in the Forbes list of 100 Richest Indians to the 31st place in 2016 from 36th spot in the previous year.
About EY Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- The Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards or EY Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, sponsored by Ernst & Young, is a global competition that encourages entrepreneurship.
- It was founded in 1986 in Milwaukee with just one award. As on 2016, twenty-five programs were run in all fifty states of the United States and also run in more than sixty countries.