VIT University, Vellore, has become India’s first academic institution to be certified with QS 4-star rating due to its excellence in fields of teaching, innovation and employability.
- The Regional director of Quacqarelli Symonds(QS) Ashwin Fernandes handed over the QS 4 Star Rating Certificate to the founding Chancellor of VIT University G Viswanathan in presence of Union Minister of State for Finance Santosh Gangwar.
- The University has also received 5 star category rating across 5 different categories namely Teaching, Innovation, Facilities, Employability and Inclusiveness.
About VIT University
VIT University is an Indian institute of higher education and a deemed university founded in 1984, as Vellore Engineering College, by G. Viswanathan with three undergraduate engineering courses — Civil, Mechanical, and Electronics & Communication.
- It has campuses in Vellore and Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. VIT University is set to open two more campuses in Bhopal and Amaravati from July 2017.
- Students of the university had published 2,390 research papers in 2014, which is second highest among the universities in the country, while 2,367 research papers have been published in 2016.
- In a bid to prepare its students to be able to work anywhere in the world, VIT has also collaborated with 207 universities in different countries.
- VIT has been ranked India’s No. 1 private university and 13th best university globally by National Institutional Ranking Framework published by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India in April 2016.
- It has been ranked 4th best engineering college in India by the renowned IndiaToday Nielsen Survey 2016. It has been constantly ranked in the Top 10 Engineering colleges in India for the past several years by renowned rankings including India Today Group, The Week, Hindustan Times, Career 360 and many more.
Quaquarelli Symonds (QS)
Quaquarelli Symonds (QS), UK, founded in 1990 is a world’s leading British company specializing in education and study abroad.
- QS has been producing rankings since the launch of the QS World University Rankings in 2004.
- Generally, the QS World University Rankings is regarded as one of the three most influential university rankings in the world, along with the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
QS Stars Rating
QS Stars is a rating system which allows students to get a wider picture of an institution’s qualities, looking at everything from the employability of graduates, to sports facilities and community engagement.
- It is designed to reflect the mission of universities, and the needs of students who may be interested in things other than those to which traditional rankings are necessarily limited.
- The QS Stars audit evaluates an institution against over 50 different indicators, and awards universities between one and five + stars over eight wider fields, as well as an overall rating.