Dr. S. Jaishankar, External Affairs Minister (EAM) of India is visiting New Zealand and Australia from October 5 to 11, 2022.
Visit of EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar to New Zealand – October 05 – 09, 2022
EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar met with Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister (PM) of New Zealand, and discussed ways to enhance bilateral cooperation.
- It was EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar’s first visit to New Zealand, and he was greeted with a traditional Maori welcome. He’s the first Indian Foreign Minister to visit since 2001.
i.As part of his first official visit to New Zealand, EAM met Priyanca Radhakrishnan, first Indian-origin Minister of New Zealand, in Auckland.
- In November 2020, PM of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern appointed Priyanca Radhakrishnan as Minister for the Community and Ethnic Communities in New Zealand.
ii.Priyanca was given the Pravasi Bhartiya Samman in 2021, making her the 7th person from New Zealand to receive it.
India’s EAM launches book “[email protected]: Dreams Meet Delivery” in Auckland, New Zealand
During his visit to New Zealand, India’s EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar took part in the Kiwi Indian Hall of Fame Awards 2022 along with Jacinda Ardern, PM of New Zealand, where they launched the book ‘[email protected]: Dreams Meet Delivery’ in Auckland.
- The Kiwi Indian Hall of Fame Awards honour the finest Kiwi-Indian achievers and trailblazers.
Dr. S. Jaishankar contributed a chapter to the book ‘[email protected]: Dreams Meet Delivery’, which was launched by then-Vice President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu on May 11, 2022 in New Delhi, Delhi.
i.’Heartfelt-The Legacy of Faith,’ a book highlighting India’s PM Narendra Modi’s special bond with the Sikh community, was also released.
ii.To honour and promote Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsavin New Zealand, both leaders also released [email protected] postage stamps.
iii.In addition, he officially inaugurated the new Indian High Commission Chancery in Wellington, New Zealand.
iv.Dr. S. Jaishankar met with Nanaia Mahuta, Minister of Foreign Affairs of New Zealand, in Auckland.
Visit of EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar to Australia – October 10 – 11, 2022
On October 10, 2022, India’s EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar was given a “Tiranga welcome” upon his arrival in Canberra, the Australian capital. He will be visiting Canberra and Sydney in Australia.
- It is EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar’s second visit to Australia in 2022; his first visit was in February 2022 to Melbourne, Australia, to attend the Quad Foreign Ministers’ Meeting.
i.EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar hosted the 13th Foreign Ministers’ Framework Dialogue (FMFD) in Canberra, together with his Australian Counterpart Penny Wong.
- The steady progress of the India-Australia Comprehensive Strategic Partnership, the Economic and Technology Cooperation Agreement (ETCA), and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were discussed.
ii.He also paid tribute to those who made sacrifices, notably Private Nain Singh Sailani, at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
iii.EAM will also visit Australia’s Deputy PM and Defence Minister, Mr. Richard Marles.
- India and Australia are Quad partners. The Quad consists of four countries: India, the United States (US), Japan, and Australia.
Recent Related News:
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and EAM Dr. S. Jaishankar made an official visit to Japan for the 2nd India-Japan 2+2 Foreign Ministerial Meeting 2022 and Defence Ministerial Meeting 2022 held in Tokyo, Japan, from September 7–10, 2022.
Both Ministers met with their Japanese counterparts, Mr. HAMADA Yasukazu, Minister of Defence of Japan, and Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
About New Zealand:
Prime Minister – Jacinda Ardern
Capital – Wellington
Currency – New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
Prime Minister – Anthony Albanese
Capital – Canberra
Currency – Australian Dollar (AUD)