The lawmakers of Italy have elected Sergio Mattarella as the country’s new President. He was a constitutional court judge and veteran centre-left politician of Italy. This victory gave a big political boost to Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, because he nominated Mattarella. After three inconclusive rounds of voting, Renzi’s candidate Mattarella was elected in the fourth round, when the required quorum fell to a simple majority.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Mattarella is the first native of Sicily to become the Italian President.
- Italy is the Eighth largest country in the World.
- Italy’s Capital is Rome and Currency is Euro.
- Italy’s Upper House – Senate. Italy’s Lower House – Chamber of Deputies.
- Italy is home to two microstates – San Marino and Vatican City.