Noted Hindi poet Gopaldas Neeraj has received the first National Kavi Pradeep Samman at a function held in Bhopal. He was presented the award on 24th March 2015.
Points to remember:
- He was presented the award by Madhya Pradesh Culture Minister Surendra Patwa at a function held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- This award carries a cash prize of Rs two lakh, a shawl and a citation.
- On the occasion, Neeraj mesmerised the audience by reciting some of his select poems.
- The award has been instituted by the Madhya Pradesh government in the memory of Kavi Pradeep.
About kavi Pradeep:
- The renowned poet and songwriter who is best known for his patriotic song ‘Aye Mere Watan Ke Logo’ written as a tribute to the soldiers who had died defending the country during the Sino-Indian War.
- His first recognition came for his patriotic lyrics for the film Bandhan.
- In 1997, he was honoured by India’s highest award in Cinema, the Dada Saheb Phalke Award for Lifetime Achievement.
- His real name was Ramchandra Narayanji Dwivedi
About Gopal Das Neeraj:
- He was born in Etawah, Uttar Pradesh, India, is among the best-known poets and authors in Hindi literature.
- He is also a famous poet of Hindi Kavi Sammelan.
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2007.