Veteraian Gandhian Narayan Desai, an Indian Gandhian and Author, Passed away on 15th March 2015 in Surat at the age of 90. His demise is a great loss to the Nation. He will be remembered for his lecture series on Gandhi Ji known as ‘Gandhi Katha’, which he took to all over the world and received acclaim for it.
Narayanbhai Desai will be remembered as a scholarly personality who brought Gandhi ji closer to the masses. Sad to hear of his demise. RIP,” the Prime Minister Narendra Modi wrote in a condolence message on Twitter.
Desai has several awards to his credit including the Sahitya Akademi Award for Gujarati in 1993 and the Jamnalal Bajaj Award in 1999 and the UNESCO-Madanjeet Singh Prize for the Promotion of Tolerance and Non-Violence in 1998. He was also associated with anti-nuclear activism.
About Shri Narayan Desai:
- Shri Narayan Desai was born on 24th December 1924.
- He was the son of Mahatama Gandhi’s Personal Secretary and biographer Mahadev Desai.
- Narayan joined the Akhil Bharatiya Shanti Sena Mandal (Indian Peace Brigade).
- As the general secretary of the Shanti Sena, Narayan recruited and trained peace volunteers throughout the country .
- He recited Gandhi Katha across the world starting 2004.
- He served as the chancellor of Gujrat Vidyapeeth since July 23, 2007 and resigned on November 2014.
- He slipped into coma on 10 December 2014 but later recovered and spinned Charkha.
- He died on 15 March 2015 at Mahavir Trauma Centre, Surat
- He was cremated at Sampoorna Kranti Vidyalaya (Institute for Total Revolution) at Vadechhi on the same day, 15th March 2015.