The Uttar Pradesh State Govt., headed by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has stalled the Samajwadi Pension Scheme of the previous Samajwadi Party Govt. under Akhilesh Yadav. He has ordered the officials to conduct a detailed review of this scheme to ascertain whether the beneficiaries are deserving candidates fulfilling the eligibility criterion. The officials have been given one month’s time to complete this task.
- This decision was taken during second cabinet meeting in which CM Yogi Adityanath was reviewing various social welfare schemes run by State Welfare Department.
About Samajwadi Pensions Scheme:
- Samajwadi Pension Scheme was launched in year 2014 with an aim to provide financial assistance to 40 lakh below poverty line (BPL) category families in Uttar Pradesh. This yojana replaced the erstwhile Rani Laxmibai Pension Yojana.
- Under this scheme, BPL families were entitled to monthly pension of Rs. 500 per month for one year. The beneficiary family had to follow other conditions which were related to children education, adult literacy and health standards.
- Post completion of one year, the pension was to be hiked by Rs. 50 every year, till the total amount reaches Rs. 750 per month. This hike of Rs. 50 was subject to fulfilment of other conditions as listed above. Non-fulfilment of conditions would result in termination of benefits.
- The scheme was being administered by Uttar Pradesh State Welfare Department.
Suggestions pertaining to Samajwadi Pension Scheme:
- Suggestion to rename this scheme as ‘Mukhyamantri Pension Yojana’ is also presented during the meeting.
- The officials have been directed by Chief Minister to review doubling the pension amount from Rs 500 to Rs 1000 per month each in old agepension, widow pension and divyang (handicap) pension.
About Yogi Adityanath:
Yogi Adityanath is an Indian priest and politician. He is the member of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He was sworn in as 21st Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in March 2017. Yogi Adityanath has been a Member of Parliament from Gorakhpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh since year 1998.